• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rim size?

RoboDuck97

I?m looking to fit some 16x7 inch rims on a 1984 Volvo 240. I?m looking to get the closest to 0 ET on front and back rims. What would be the best way to go? I?m pretty sure I can fit 0 ET on the back but I may be mistaken. Thanks!

I am running 16x8 Corsa steel wheels. Zero offset will fit the front. My 16x8's fit. I have it lowered slightly with 225/50's and front clears fine. I do get some fender rub in the rear.

What tires are you going to run? It’ll drive better if you have closer to stock offset and just go for wider wheels.

What’s your use?

They’ll work, but you’ll need to make room in the back depending on everything.

I?m not too sure what tires I?m going to run, that?s kind of part of my question on what will fit. I like the look of the 0 ET rims so that?s what I?m trying to get close too. For my use there really is none for the car it?ll be my driver but I want to have it look good.

So to make sure I can pretty much run 16x7 0ET front and back? I was thinking 215/40/16 on tire size but I?m no expert I just talked to someone who fit 16x7 0ET rims in the back with that tire size with no problems.
Thanks!

I would also be fine with having different offset front to back, also I would be fine with having the ET the same for both but would want it closest to 0 but keeping everything the same I don?t want one set of tires sticking out farther then the other.
Much appreciated!

I?m not too sure what tires I?m going to run, that?s kind of part of my question on what will fit. I like the look of the 0 ET rims so that?s what I?m trying to get close too. For my use there really is none for the car it?ll be my driver but I want to have it look good.

So to make sure I can pretty much run 16x7 0ET front and back? I was thinking 215/40/16 on tire size but I?m no expert I just talked to someone who fit 16x7 0ET rims in the back with that tire size with no problems.
Thanks!

215/40/16 are pretty small diameter and a very uncommon size, unless you meant 215/50/16, which would be a better choice.

As for wheel size, it should be fine. I've never personally run it, but its not that aggressive, so you probably won't have issues.

I am running 16x8 Corsa steel wheels. Zero offset will fit the front. My 16x8's fit. I have it lowered slightly with 225/50's and front clears fine. I do get some fender rub in the rear.

Rubbing in the rear is pretty common when running 16's. use a 25mm/1" spacer in the rear and maybe roll the fenders if you have too.

Roboduck, I suggest trying to find wheels that meet your desired specs and make sure they exist before going any further with this discussion.

What is your fixation with the 0 offset number? What do you think running 0 offset will give you? If it's the wheels being flush with the fenders, you could also be looking into wheel width, not just a low offset. Why do you suggest 16x7s? Where are you finding these wheels, if you actually have some in mind?

Normal tire sizes to keep a somewhat similar diameter to factory sedans are 205/60-15, 205/55-16, 205/50-17 and wider and/or shorter options.

Rubbing in the rear is pretty common when running 16's.
That actually depends entirely on every factor other than them being a 16" wheel and tire combo. You can have a 16" wheel and tire combo that takes up no more space than a factory Turbo wheel/tire combo.

What would you suggest, I want to go with 16x7 since it is a nice size for the car. I?ll probably stay with stock offset in the front and 0 in the back. I?m not too sure what kind of spacers or adapters I?ll need to fit the rims on and keep them from rubbing. I?ll have an ipd lowering spring kit on it. I don?t want the tires tucked up in the fender well. I want it to sit pretty flush with the outside of the fender. Any thoughts on how to do so, tire sizes, spacers, rims, etc.
Much appreciated!

What would you suggest, I want to go with 16x7 since it is a nice size for the car. I’ll probably stay with stock offset in the front and 0 in the back. I’m not too sure what kind of spacers or adapters I’ll need to fit the rims on and keep them from rubbing. I’ll have an ipd lowering spring kit on it. I don’t want the tires tucked up in the fender well. I want it to sit pretty flush with the outside of the fender. Any thoughts on how to do so, tire sizes, spacers, rims, etc.
Much appreciated!

You can remove the front fender liners, but flush will rub on the wheel well in the back.

You don’t need to pull the fender liners up front for what you’re doing. My car has them trimmed a smidge(maybe not even needed with the current setup) to run 225/45-17s on 17x7.5” wheels with an effective offset of ET24(or ET19, and 20 is stock) up front. In the back I’m running around ET13 and the fenders have been pushed out and rolled a decent bit to accommodate larger tires. I apparently can’t find good pictures on my phone but the first picture is as I just described. The small wheel pictures at the track are 15x7s but with 225/50-15 tires and close to ET20. Maybe I had spacers on them? My car is also lowered more than 2”.

There are a huge number of variables. Find the wheels that look like what you want, THEN I will make further recommendations. If you are just running off the shelf lowering springs, you won’t have to worry too much about clearance issues but you will need to make more room in your rear fenders for the look you want. The fender lips don’t permit flush wheels and tires.

16x7s are on the smaller side of things so I’d run 205/50s or 205/55s on them if you’re really set on that size. They will allow you to run closer to the offset you think you want without much issue. 16x8s will look better, handle better and fill the wheel wells in more so you don’t have to run such low offset to get your desired look.

Attachments

• 473AA11F-59A0-476D-8D4A-6419F4BD84F7.jpg
    473AA11F-59A0-476D-8D4A-6419F4BD84F7.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 59B5A620-66C3-40B9-A662-E64EC8A3CC31.jpg
    59B5A620-66C3-40B9-A662-E64EC8A3CC31.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 82DAF71C-C583-4C93-BA90-806BADDFD2FF.jpg
    82DAF71C-C583-4C93-BA90-806BADDFD2FF.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Could you tell me what would work? Spacers needed or maybe tire sizes.
Thanks!

700_mx11.jpg

+ 225-50-15s.

http://i29.servimg.com/u/f29/12/79/77/41/700_mx11.jpg

+ 225-50-15s.
Can you get good street tires in that size anymore? I know some race tires are available, but not sure about street stuff.

OP, these, or similar, wheels can be commonly found when searching for Multi-X, 780 Bertone, MSW, or mesh wheels. There are various brands but the 780 Multi-X wheels are 15x7 and a great wheel. They?re ET20 like the stock 240 stuff. 240 turbo wheels are 15x6, ET20. A 225 wide tire is going to be relatively squishy and indirect vs the same brand/model tire in a 205/55-15 or 205/60-15(closest to stock diameter).

I?ll say it again. The options are limitless. You need to find a wheel you want and then we can discuss feasibility. If you like performance and the best handling, you will want a 7.5 or 8? wheel. The wider than 7? wheels also will permit you to more closely achieve the flush look you want(but you won?t actually get it, it?s just better).

Can you get good street tires in that size anymore? I know some race tires are available, but not sure about street stuff.

OP, these, or similar, wheels can be commonly found when searching for Multi-X, 780 Bertone, MSW, or mesh wheels. There are various brands but the 780 Multi-X wheels are 15x7 and a great wheel. They?re ET20 like the stock 240 stuff. 240 turbo wheels are 15x6, ET20. A 225 wide tire is going to be relatively squishy and indirect vs the same brand/model tire in a 205/55-15 or 205/60-15(closest to stock diameter).

I?ll say it again. The options are limitless. You need to find a wheel you want and then we can discuss feasibility. If you like performance and the best handling, you will want a 7.5 or 8? wheel. The wider than 7? wheels also will permit you to more closely achieve the flush look you want(but you won?t actually get it, it?s just better).

Thanks, I?ll take some more looking around too see what I can find. I?m trying to go the route where least you no modification is needed. I can take the plastic Inner fender well out but would like to try to stay away from doing much more to the car. It will be lowered on ipd springs. Also if you just have any recommendations for rim, wheel, and spacers/adapters that work together and fit nicely, I?m very open to options. I have too many other projects and don?t really have to time to monkey with trying to get the perfect fit. Thanks!

There are some 780 Multi-X wheels in the for sale forum right now. Buy them and be done. Slap some 205/55-15 tires on them if you want something with some sporting pretentious. To get the more flush look, you can put some spacers on to push them out.

You have to decide what you like, I can’t look that up for you.

You need an effective offset of between 0-20mm with a 7” wheel or 10-20mm with an 8” wheel for minimal issues. I like to keep the front wheels between 15-20mm offset to maintain good steering behavior. With a smaller 15” tire and IPD springs, you won’t have to touch the plastic fender liners.

If you’re going to go up in size I would want at least a 17” wheel. The available tire choices in 17” is so much better than 15 or 16”.

Back