• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT sheetmetal intake (2016-2021 bump)

All I really need is a base gasket and your restrictions...if you were to give me dimensions like it can only be X out from the head, and Y up from the head and I want the TB in about this location, or if you like my plenum......the build is pretty easily done, just takes some hours to make it all happen. Should be fun

Yo Nathan, I've got a couple of 16v heads here and very likely will have a project right around the corner you could do the fitting up on, and I'm almost local.
Gimme a call when you have a moment.

Hey John, I might just take you up on that. I think I might be able to use the plenum I make up for the 8V head, just change the runner shape.

And you guys are a Hoot..its nice to see a mixture of humors around here!

Heres what I got tacked up on the car tonight. I need to get the front of the TB area trimmed out and formed in, I have a few ideas in mind.

1117091934.jpg

1117091938.jpg

1117091936.jpg

Last edited:
Well, visual this.....the small flat pie/wedge pc on top needs to have an 1.25 added to the end where the TB is to kick the whole thing out a little more. I am looking for clean lines, so imagine a 45* elbow on a stock IC with a straight pc of piping and the pipe along with the edge of the plenum will all be inline, if I kick the tb it will be off and would not look fluid like. I am not opposed to the idea, just thinking of some trick brake work to pull an endcap off. I know most wont run a stock IC, but some do, just want to keep the lines clean. Well see....the whole thing has about changed to this point anywho!

Looking through the thread for the first time now. Very impressive work, I wish I could fabricate stuff like this. :-(

I just thought about this, Have you checked the angle those pipes leave the head vs stock? and what kind of angle that will put the injectors at?

We used the stock intake flange with injector bungs for not having to reinvent that part along with having them pointed pretty close to ideal(well stock at least).

I didnt have a chance to look at the stock intake till the other night when i pulled it off. My manifold pipes are coming straight off with just a slight bend like most others, and I am welding in a my own bungs for two reasons now. This will be the second intake that I have built that has needed the weld in bungs (all others have been in the head, or I was not inolved in the fitment of the bungs) and after seeing how deep the stock "injector bung" is cast into the main intake stream I kind giggled after we had all this flow and airmovement discussion.....the bungs I weld in are radiused to the runner, and the tip of the inejector is just at the roof of the runner with the bung welded in at the deepest angle the pc will allow.
Im sure once I start that, there will be another small discussion on the ins and outs of all that too!

I am more worried about if you have enough room to set the injectors at the right angle so that they actually spray onto the valve or if they are going to be hitting the wall and pooling persay more so than normal on a batch fire car.

We ran into this issue when we had the ITB setup on the 16v head. Turned out we just used a stock 16v flange cut right after the bung sand then flipped 180 deg

Notice how on the stocker the runners are laid down much more than just coming straight off the head, we had to clearance the heck out of the runners to make room for the injectors. Sure it is far from ideal by blocking flow but figure I still have a stock head on the car so that little bit is far from as large of a restriction as that stock manifold itself was.

Last edited:
Notice how on the stocker the runners are laid down much more than just coming straight off the head, we had to clearance the heck out of the runners to make room for the injectors. Sure it is far from ideal by blocking flow but figure I still have a stock head on the car so that little bit is far from as large of a restriction as that stock manifold itself was.

IMO it's important that the runners are "on-axis" relative to the ports. In other words the centerline of the tubing should be aligned and parallel with the port centerline.

I have not looked closely at an 8v head in years so I dunno if those are, or not.
But, ultimately IMO having the runners on-axis is first priority.

I would do that first an build the injector bosses around that, not alter the runner angle based on what locates the injectors conveniently.

I am doing some shaping a little later tonight, but had a chance to get some angles of injectors. i measered 90* from the flange so check my math

Stock b230ft 71-90= 19* as measured from inline with the runner as the air flows

My manifold 67-90= 23* as measured as the airflows

comparison manifold was Toyota 22re 60-90= 30* as measured from the air flow. I realize this is a truck motor, but efi as it is, and they made them turbo too.

I looked at alot of other manifolds too...seems like injector angle does not seem to be an issue. A small block chevy has them in the runner facing vertical 90* to a 45* runner, and a ITB setup actually puts them farther up in the intake stream.
Ill google around and see what I can find, but I dont think Im going to sweat it to much.

What kind of batch fire is the LH setup, with my experience with MegaSquirt, does it squirt once, twice, four times for each injector event, and does it fire all 4 or alternate when trigger the injections?

Mike...my supra had a cold start injector and I eliminated it on my new manifold. I imagine LH2.4 would still start, might take a few extra cranking events? Did you reinstall one on your manifold? Though I do see it only uses 2 bolts to secure it. Plumbing would be my issue, unless a 1/8npt to the swedish double flare is available.

Last edited:
The cold start is almost never needed, IIRC it was book rated for starts colder than 20deg. and the late model cad did away with it and just used added tables/maps for LH
We did not add it back into the new system

And just because it is so much fun, ya'll should of made new intake manifold sooner, the power gain is tons of fun

Last edited:
One train of thought is to aim the injector so the gas hits the back of the valve to aid in vaporization. Have you noticed if the OEM manifolds you measured actually do this?

Richard

One train of thought is to aim the injector so the gas hits the back of the valve to aid in vaporization. Have you noticed if the OEM manifolds you measured actually do this?

Richard

Most of the intakes I have looked at (imports) the valve is angled so the spray is hitting at the radius just prior to the valve base...and volvos is like this.

So I got the plenum junction shape finalized....I was skectchy at taking it back to the bandsaw, but I wanted a rounded transition.

This transition is made from paper drawings and some measuring to get a visual before I hacked up the larger plenum. I will jig it up and blend it much better on the next attempt tomorrow but you guys get the jif. Next week during Thanksgiving weekend, Ill work on the injector placement and gettting the fuel rail drilled.

On the second pic, you can see using a stock IC all you have to do is use a 45* elbow and your butter.

Let me know if you guys that are intersted in buying like the design, would like to see anything different, or keep rallying the way that I am.

1119091808.jpg

1119091807.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz88/nathaninwa/Mobile Uploads/1119091813.jpg

Richard, I just checked my (whiteblock) motor, injectors definitely spray right at the back of the valves.

Nathan, I guess it's still in mockup mode, but that throttle body transition looks like a real dog's breakfast IMO.

I'd rather see some sort of curved piece going form the left side of the throttle body to the plenum. Or just made the end flat, honestly...

Dogs breakfast for sure...looks like ass if you ask me. Its hard to make paper templates with nothing to template off of. so my best educated guess got me close....now that I decided to go that route and trim off the front of the plenum I can actually make a template of the plenum and and transition correctly to the round TB. Ill be able to cut off what I have and make a jig so Im not working in free air.
i tried the flat front....didnt like it either, was not very nice to look at and looked as bad as all my boost leaks I have now! Plus the tps got in the way....to many edges and points to trim and weld in.
I like the idea of the elbow, but I have to go from 2.5 to almost 4.25 in that 90* elbow. Maybe I can relook at the plenum wall where the trumpets are at.....but thats all past me now, done and easy to fabricate.....so Ill work with the transition and weld it up.

Maybe I need to drink more beer!

It doesn't even line up to the plenum. Are you retarded?

This place just kills me some days.

You must have missed this in the paragraph in the post.

"This transition is made from paper drawings and some measuring to get a visual before I hacked up the larger plenum. I will jig it up and blend it much better on the next attempt tomorrow but you guys get the jif."

and I sure 2fast242gt was looking past the holes knowing there going to line up tomorrow and just look badass

Back