• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 1990 740 ACC - No blower

245gti

Adapting Stuff
Hi all. My wife drives a '90 740 16V. A few days ago she called me from work and said her blower motor wasn't working. I'm relatively certain it's not the motor as they don't just die suddenly and it hasn't been making strange noises to this point. I've got a cupboard full of green books but do you think I have one that covers the ACC on a '90 740? Nope...:lol:

Any hints? Anyone have a green book that covers this particular car? It seems the sources for green book pdfs have dried up?

A bad blower resistor is usually due to high current draw from a failing blower motor. A bad blower motor will also cook dash harness interconnects and fuse box.

I just did an 86 7 series that is on it's 3rd or 4th blower motor.

Drill a drain hole in the plastic that covers the bottom of the motor so that any water has a place to go rather than submerge the motor.

Another thing I found was the plastic water deflector under the cowl cover was out of position allowing rain water into the blower inlet, the other factor was coolant from a leaking heater core submerging the blower motor.

Hi all. My wife drives a '90 740 16V. A few days ago she called me from work and said her blower motor wasn't working. I'm relatively certain it's not the motor as they don't just die suddenly and it hasn't been making strange noises to this point. I've got a cupboard full of green books but do you think I have one that covers the ACC on a '90 740? Nope...:lol:

Any hints? Anyone have a green book that covers this particular car? It seems the sources for green book pdfs have dried up?

That's exactly how they die on a 7-9 series in my experience. They just quit. No noise, no warning. I have replaced several over the years that did exactly that. The shaft is vertical which probably accounts for why they remain quiet over their life span. It is so simple to check for power at the motor on a 7-9. The whole process of replacing a 7-9 motor is 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. Volvo at least got the part right with the 7-9 design.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check a few things and report back...

Just did mine on my 91 ....$75 from FCP for a VDO branded one ....swapped in less than 30 mins.

Don't force it in or you may break a fan blade.......older ones are brittle and can break easily.
Just one fan blade missing out of the thirty will sound like the concord on take off and will shake your whole car when max fan speed.

Just finished replacing the blower motor. Everything is back to normal...:nod:

I found it wouldn't drop out so I moved the ECU and bracket and then had loads of room.

Back