home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #26
mike66
Board Member

I Just tested it again with the same results. Zero pressure running on jackstands up to 55mph. I cannot rule out the cheap gauge I bought from eBay but I did blow shop air into it and it read pretty close. I’m thinking maybe something went wrong on re-assembly. Not too hard to just take the OD back off. I’ll start with the previous suggestion and turn the crankshaft to observe the pump operation or lack of operation.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:51 PM   #27
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

My understanding of the o/d is that the oil pump is always working off that input shaft cam. it's just whether the bypass channel or the solenoid is engaged to allow the pressure through.
So if you measure no pressure I'd make sure the solenoid moves when engaged. I've had them click but not move when I had a bad one on the D type in the 123gt long ago.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:55 PM   #28
tintintin
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
I don't have a remote starter wire.
Don't the 7xx have a remote starter connector dangling along the left inner fender bulge under the hood? Mine does. Pink wire, connect to +12VDC to energize starter solenoid.
tintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:57 PM   #29
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintintin View Post
Don't the 7xx have a remote starter connector dangling along the left inner fender bulge under the hood? Mine does. Pink wire, connect to +12VDC to energize starter solenoid.
240s have that as well by the firewall connector for the engine harness; female spade & blue-yellow wire most years...

I forget where they move it to on late '92+ models when they eliminated the firewall connector / oil, heat & corrosion exposed sealed bullet connection in the engine bay in that location....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #30
mike66
Board Member

oops

Last edited by mike66; 07-12-2022 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: repeat
Old 07-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #31
mike66
Board Member

I've tried 3 solenoids, one that I know worked a couple of moths ago on my P-type. How much of a voltage drop is too much at the solenoid? My battery reads 12.18 (Low) Volts and I've got 10.6 at the solenoid KOEO. Seems to me like it would be enough, especially when the engine is running and spinning the alternator. Maybe tonight I'll make a new harness and see if it changes anything. I think even if the solenoid is bad I would still get the 21 psi at idle? Looks like I may have multiple issues.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:44 PM   #32
planetman
Board Member

FYI, the O/D pump is driven by the mainshaft which has to been turning to make the pump work which means the driveshaft has to be turning.

So you don't get any pressure inside the O/D while idling at a stop.
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:53 AM   #33
mike66
Board Member

yes, I realized I said that after I hit the button. It was driving on jack stands at 45-50 mph. with zero pressure. I realize no pressure at "idle" my bad.