• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bumper Shock Tuck

stev

I know its a straight forward concept if you want to tuck your bumper. You drill the shock to release pressure and compress it to your desire. But I wanted to test my old bumper shocks off a commando bumper first before I do it to my only set of 83-85 shocks. After I drilled and released the pressure, I hit them with a mallet to condense them but they don't stay in that position, they will slide right back to their normal length. Do commando bumper shocks not work when you drill and compress them?

There was a post on one of the Facebook groups where someone modified the mounting brackets rather than messing with the shocks. He took the bracket off the backside of the bumper and essentially flattened it to bring the bumper closer to the body. I can upload the pictures and post if youd like

All I had to do was accidentally put the car in neutral and roll into the other car behind me? my rear commando bumper is now tucked with no drilling required.

Jeez maybe that's what I need to do, I did drill into the shock releasing the pressure but it just didn't stay in position the more I compressed it. Is it a bad idea to not drill it and back into a wall?

Jeez maybe that's what I need to do, I did drill into the shock releasing the pressure but it just didn't stay in position the more I compressed it. Is it a bad idea to not drill it and back into a wall?

They're rated for 5mph which is pretty good ramming speed and can do quite a bit of damage especially if it's drilled and not functioning properly.

:e-shrug:

They're rated for 5mph which is pretty good ramming speed and can do quite a bit of damage especially if it's drilled and not functioning properly.

:e-shrug:

This is TB? :lol:
The shell?s are already bent and molested for steam roller tires & lowered/cut train car sprangs, but what does it matter if the wife/better half won?t ride in it (if applicable?) & it mostly sits in the way in the garage/side of the house/carport taking up valuable workspace?

Have to stare at it in the garage & be (even more) reminded of owning a car that was born ugly that probably didn?t live the ?good life? all its life from new & 6? less space wasted in the garage is still 6? for futilitarian & frivolous pursuits?

Thought nip-tuck was the TV show?

They had it right in ?73?;
Better angle of approach for off roading/urban assault, no long lever arm to bend the frame horns if caught on a corner, same strength as the later commandos, but more stylish, shocks still can aborb 2-3? of 5mph ?oops? without damaging the car, hopefully? :x:

Then, they figured out how to be in compliance and build it uglier/cheaper / cost effectively to remain competitive and in compliance for 1974-1982 USA bumper laws as a smaller car company?

They had it pretty right in ?73 (1-year-only) (only RWC, V&B Steve & I seem to like those as the ?obscuria ?out group? / see/appreciate the value there?) a year ahead of the hammer really coming down in ?74-?75 for bumpers, lights, safety & emissions? just too expensive to keep making those beauties beyond rust 1 special year??
Reinforce the bumpers & retrofit the ?73 stronger rebuildable style shocks somehow, idk? :e-shrug:

Last edited:
Back