Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ham View Post
I have used Eutectic a few times with good success
How about this Milwaukee Tool?
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:42 PM   #28
below the surface

Detroit Axle appears to be a scam. I ordered from them; they claimed to have a rack in stock. After a week of runaround, no shipment, and non-answers, I got a refund.

Then I had my ZF rack rebuilt by Rock Auto. Just installed it and it appears to be leaking already. Rebuild had some incorrect parts (CAM style inner tie rods and boots; inner tie rods appeared to be used, steel wire used to secure boots rather than correct clamps).

Looking for better options!
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #29
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
Detroit Axle appears to be a scam....
It's mostly been a reseller/distributor of parts...steering rack work most likely was contracted out, like RockAuto does.

>it appears to be leaking already.

"Power steering pumps have a built in spring-loaded pressure relief valve. This valve is designed to lower or stop hydraulic pump pressure when pressure reaches a preset value. You can observe this by steering to a full-turn of the vehicle’s steering limits or by attempting to turn the tire from a designated spot against an obstruction. Within the steering pump a valve will plunge and spring back without the driver’s awareness while turning. This valve design prevents overheating, and any potential hose or seal bursts.

If steering trouble occurs, the valve can be half or fully stuck within the valve bore of the pump. When half-stuck the driver experiences lowered or a complete loss of pressure; a common symptom of this occurrence is difficulty while steering with the engine in idle. (However this does not not occur if the engine rises above idle by any couple hundred RPM, at this point the engine power causes an influx of fluid creating an easier turn.) To ensure whether the valve is half or fully stuck check for this occurrence. In the event a valve is fully stuck, all power steering will be lost and the vehicle’s steering will act as if the engine is off. GM Saginaw pumps see this problem far more frequent than other manufactured pumps.

These symptoms are observable with ALL and ANY pumps: old , new, or rebuilt."
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote