home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #101
joel142
Board Member

Small update: liquid gasket did the trick on the adapter plate. The root cause is the thread minima for the fitting reduced the web to the screw hole and the gasket just didn't have enough area to seal. I'll want to fire up the leak checker cap again but idle is again improved and the car (for a first?) isn't missing below 1000RPM. Wanding an unlit MAPP gas torch around the engine bay has no effect on idle speed. The lower pipe with the IAC needs paint anyway and that should be the last investigation when that comes in and out.

In other milestones it drove on the freeway! Wastegate pressure (5-ish PSI) is pretty underwhelming but the noise is fantastic. Driving it in traffic is still as challenging as I remembered. The 6-puck clutch is quite chattery and starting on a hill is fraught. The 20yo brake pads are less than effective. All the rotors are cleared of rust and the pedal is firm but stopping is not brisk.

Edit: and it picked up the kid at school; that turned some heads amongst the collection of Toyota Siennas and Subarus.

Last edited by joel142; 03-19-2021 at 08:40 PM..
joel142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #102
joel142
Board Member

Measured the driveshaft angles and not as bad as I thought it might be. I could definitely space the center bearing down a little and improve that joint to the rear of the engine, but, I may just move onto other puzzles for now. The car itself, on jack stands, is about 1.0 degrees nose up. Am I correct to think the front section is intended to be level by Volvo? The engine is already very close to the crossmember.

It's possible what I think is driveline vibration is (a) me not being used to it and (b) all new poly bushings in every location and Heim joints for the upper trailing arms and Panhard bar. I installed poly front bushings on the lower arms before the common consensus was lack of articulation was more harm than help.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:45 PM   #103
joel142
Board Member

New tires ready to bolt on: Falken Azenis RT615K+ in 215/45R-17. Looks nice and square on the 7.5" wheels.

As a road racer friend of mine said: "Those are some Falken good tires." How right he was. The car is transformed on the road.

Last edited by joel142; 05-01-2021 at 01:48 PM..