Board Member

C00l project.

The 245 GT

The Euromurican
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:59 PM   #52
cosbySweater
Board Member

Om606 is in. Need to finish the mounts. Holy **** this thing is massive once you get it in the engine bay. Had to convert back to a front sump and hack the rad support out of the car. It was a bit of a cluster **** today
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #53
cosbySweater
Board Member

so ripped the old b23 out and aw71. the removal went very well as it does most of the time. i cleaned the engine bay before hand. Also this thing always was a bit of a turd. it was probably the second slowest n/a volvo ive ever owned. i figured out why when the engine was removed...

Catalyst was completely melted

Any way like i said in the above post. the rear sump was way to long. no matter how many times you measure and prepare it always seems like its going to put up a fight! ive done enough swaps to know that its never as easy as just dropping a engine in. either way its in at this point. had to convert it back to a front sump pan and hack about 2.5 inches out of the sump to get it to where it wants to sit and also not hit the oil pump. doing some research i found that the 603 pump is actually shorter so if you plan to do this swap, id suggest getting the 603 oil pump and you can gain another inch of clearance. Also. the zf rack is bigger in some spots so the can\trw rack would probably be better. i like the zfs because they seem to hold up a bit better but this will work for me. the rad support pretty much has to go bye bye if you want a good cooling fan on it. funny enough the 606 with the auto trans measured out 1 inch shorter then the b23 (measuring from the output shaft to the front of the cooling fan.) however because of where the engine wants to sit that really doesnt matter. there is plenty of room for the a/c. the stock benz ps lines bolt to the rack. the stock alternator is energized the same way as the volvo alternator, and bonus is you use the m47 240 drive shaft its the exact length you want for modification. the stock shifter linkage bolts right on. there are some other things im missing but will update my findings when i remember them.

gotta love the old boomers tig welding in crocs

Old 04-13-2021, 02:40 AM   #54
James M
Banned

Less of that core support came out then I expected. Motor looks good sitting in there, off to grab an Om603 oil pump before I get to cutting the pan

Unless I missed something I don't remember mention of why your running an NA intake manifold?
James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:02 PM   #55
cosbySweater
Board Member

Just because of the lifting bracket. Didn't want to damage the turbo intake.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #56
cosbySweater
Board Member

Welp got the engine bay pretty much done. The engine and trans are fully mounted. Fuel system is done. The radiator, fan, condenser, and intercooler are all one unit. I ditched all the Volvo crap and put everything from the e300 in. All the factory trans cooler lines, inter cooler pipes and cooling hoses fit. Used a factory clutch fan as well. Had to cut the rad support out of the car but it had to be done!

Here it is!

Converted to a positive pressure wg actuator. The factory uses vacuum.

I'll edit this post a little for some more info but yea. Everything fits as one unit and the horns and everything fit.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:02 AM   #57
cosbySweater
Board Member

Got some more stuff finished today. Got most of the stuff buttoned up on the driver side of the engine. Almost ready to throw the intake on permanently. All the factory lines ended up working except for one transmission line that got bent when I yanked the engine from the mercedes. Everything is in place and looks factory! I'm getting very excited. Next will be ripping the dash out and do the climate control stuff behind the dash.

Apparently it wasn't as heavy as I thought it was going to be even after bouncing it a little. We will see how it settles in since all the suspension is brand new

Old 04-25-2021, 12:51 AM   #58
cosbySweater
Board Member

Got it running and drove it a little. I've been thrashing on it for the past few days. All I can say at this point is use the mercedes mounts. Lol
Old 04-25-2021, 11:45 PM   #59
cosbySweater
Board Member

https://youtu.be/ris9RNKczUg

Converted the car to a late model ac system today. Redoing the mounts sometime this week. Got the idle down a bit on it but it still sounds like a old school bus. Lol
Old 04-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #60
cosbySweater
Board Member

Got some pictures to upload, got the driveshaft done for it, we will see if it vibrates.

its the stock 300td driveshaft and yoke, turned down a centering shim and shoved a late model m47 driveshaft in it and welded it up. done this a few times before and never had any issues so we will see if it works again!

there was a ton of rust in the battery tray area so my dad cut out the rust and put some new sheet metal in and we painted it. made a super simple battery tray and mounted it at a angle so a standard group 34 battery would fit in it. it cranks over nice and strong with the 750cca battery,

since this car is going to be using a stock turbo we did a 2.5 over axle exhaust with 2 magnaflow mufflers. the ground clearance is great with the 2.5 and i should support exactly what i want.

i pulled the sending unit out of the tank and put a 6.0 powerstroke fuel pickup on it which acts like a little sump and compresses against the bottom of the tank. i also installed a fuel water separator at the top of the panhard bar mount between the tank and the body to keep it protected. im using 5/16 fuel line for the fuel system. i installed a check valve as well to prevent any drain back incase the check valve in the pump decides to leak

now the oil cooler was a bit of a chore to do. because i needed to get the car done in a resonable time i mounted it to the back of the crossmember. its not ideal however im going to work on a shield/duct for it. it was super cheap and i bought a spare to keep in my break down kit just incase.

i also took the time to convert the car to the late model ac system. looking forward to seeing how it works. i installed a newer blower motor and resistor in it so i dont have to mess with it for a while hopefully

someone did the down and dirty blower install in car on the old box, i present to you THE GLORY HOLE

new box and fire wall panel in

i took my time to do all the wiring on the car while the dash was out to make for a tidy install. i installed my trans controller on the cluster. i think its in a good spot. ill see how i like it

the good thing about trans is that the stock shifter works with the unit, however you cannot pull these trans missions past drive into lower gears, thats all electronically controlled. so im going to figure out a stealthy way to do it.

here are the updated engine bay pictures with it pretty much complete other then some ac lines and the intake pipe, im using a volvo 240 diesel airbox. it turned out very well for such a quick project

after fitting a little more stuff to it and filling it with fluids it dropped down a little in the front and has a pretty good stance i think

Old 04-29-2021, 02:39 AM   #61
D.E
tvåförti

Snyggt! Are you going to do a metal skidpan for all those fragile looking things up front?
D.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #62
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E View Post
Snyggt! Are you going to do a metal skidpan for all those fragile looking things up front?
Thanks! yes that is for sure on the to do list for me!
Old 04-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #63
James M
Banned

Just when I was thinking of going back to a turbo redblock your thread reappears. Looks great in there!
Old 04-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #64
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Cool!

@PDXvolvo on IG
B21FT with a T3/T4, STS coil-overs, T5 trans.
LC4CARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:07 PM   #65
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

That last post made me feel like a lazy bastard lol. Nice job! Can't wait to see a driving vid.

1978 242, 5.3 L33
1979 242, MS, R brakes
2006 V50 T5 AWD @ 17 PSI
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:45 AM   #66
cosbySweater
Board Member

Haha thanks guys, it was a quite a quick turnaround to get everything done, I've been working on it for an hour or two every night and last weekend I spent all friday-sunday on it. It also helps to have the car at my dad's shop instead of rolling around on the floor in my super small garage where I usually build my cars. He has been a massive and I mean massive help on this one, this engine was alot harder to fit then we initially anticipated. I will update with some more pictures tomorrow but needless to say we had to redo the entire engine mount situation. The driver side mount is a absolute pain in the ass to make fit. I'll update this thread again in the morning.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #67
cosbySweater
Board Member

So like I stated above. I used the sts uprights originally which have a poly bushing. With the ls this is no issue at all, they work perfect. I was hoping it would be okay on the 606 and it was a massive no. These engines for sure need the hydraulic mounts..the vibration was probably the most insane vibration I have ever felt in a vehicle. It was completely not driveable. After 2000 rpm it wasnt to bad. Under that however the car felt like it was going to tear itself apart. So we tried adding one mount. We looked at how the mercedes mounts mounted the engine in the 210 chassis and replicated it.

So did the passenger side first and gave it a try. There is so much **** on the driver side of the engine so I was hoping that the simple passenger side hydro mount would make it more tolerable......

NOPE. Ironically the car shook even worse at idle but smoothed out quite a bit quicker.

In comes the driver side mount, now I'm not saying our way is the right and only way. But the angle of the mount and everything matches the benz chassis pretty well. The mount just sits a little further back

From the research I've done this is about as easy and accessible as the mounts can be done without really messing with the steering rack and other stuff
Old 04-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #68
Sjeng
Board Member

Very nice engine swap, beautiful engine.

What are you doing to control the 722.6 trans?
I'm debating whether to swap one into my W116.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #69
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
Very nice engine swap, beautiful engine.

What are you doing to control the 722.6 trans?
I'm debating whether to swap one into my W116.
im using the OF gear controller for the transmission. seems to work pretty well, I have to drive it and make sure everything works right, you need to have a tps sensor for it so its a bit of a rubegolberg getting it to work properly with the mechanical setup. if it doesn't jive well with everything im going to go with the EDC pump I have and a dsl1
Old 04-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #70
James M
Banned

Passenger looks like a breeze, that driver's side must have taken some work though. No space to fit it over the steering shaft?
Old 04-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #71
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Passenger looks like a breeze, that driver's side must have taken some work though. No space to fit it over the steering shaft?
yes and no, you totally can do that im sure but due to it being a hydro mount they need to be loaded the same way they are from factory or else they will break or leak. im sure you can use other hydro mounts out there, but i dont think its worth trying anything other then what the factory used for them. i can say this with the car running now with these mounts, it is the smoothest idling 240 ive ever been in. lol

also this is all depending on what rack you use as well. the trw rack has a bit more clearance. i just like the zf style because they dont leak as much and feel better to me
Old 05-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #72
cosbySweater
Board Member

Didn't get around to getting the suction line for the ac made but in any case, drove it around for about 100 miles and so far so good. Need to change the map sensor and adjust the shift points a little. Fuel gauge barely moves. It's very nice and quiet while driving.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 PM   #73
cosbySweater
Board Member

Welp 3 days of daily driving it around 60 miles a day. So far so good. Car cruises so we'll on the highway. Just need to get the front end back up and crank up the boost. It's making about 7-8psi right now. Realistically it needs to be around 16-18. So I'm going to install my hallman that I have on my gremlin and turn it up s little tomorrow morning
Old 05-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #74
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

what kind of mpgs are you seeing?
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #75
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
what kind of mpgs are you seeing?
Right now it's around 28ish with the tent on it. Not bad! Need to drive it home and redo the test now that it will reach desired boost while cruising