home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #51
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by olov View Post
what are your goals? what mods do you plan on using? a v3.0 board and ms1 chip are plenty for my wagon(250-350hp daily driver 8v....eventually), but i think i might go ms2 for the sedan if i ever get to upgrading it(16v, caged.....eventually). i think it's just more options(which you might not even use). i wouldn't worry about over complicating things unless you NEED those options, standard fuel install with wasted spark might be enough, and would be less time figuring things out and more time driving.
You make a good point. But, If I can spend the money once and go MS3, I wouldn't need to upgrade for a long, long time. The more I look at it, the more sufficient MS2 is, but in the grand scheme of things, $200 isn't a deal breaker. And If I didn't spend it on MS3, I'd probably spend it on something stupid like a two piece adjustable cam gear hookers and blow

Quote:
those options look good in sigs, but if it's on jackstands who the f cares :P .
Truth. and my car isn't on jackstands, b*tch :P

Quote:
but back to ms3, someone posted all the benefits in a thread a few months ago, no idea what thread it was but it does look pretty baller. but i'm cheap and good enough is good enough for me
Search mode ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940guy View Post
seen this today in person, pictures dont do justice to what this man is doing great work jared. im here for ya if you need help i has a welder or can get some some parts on the downlow-_-
Thanks for stopping by-glad you liked it. I remembered what I needed to weld! And then I forgot again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Space time farts
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #52
stick70
All the gauges

I mean I know its expensive but that ms3x is baller status...ms3 still gets you usb hook up and sd card data logging, and if you want to upgrade to the ms3x later you can. Someone mentioned a while ago that with all of the added features its going to be harder to tune, but I think thats expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
Cool car. Smells period correct. Would follow through twisties again. A+
stick70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #53
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Went and picked up a care package from the CEO of Mangohick Motorsports today. Pics tomorrow once it all gets unloaded.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #54
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well, here's some of the stuff...

Greentops

18lb flywheel wuutt?

Plus all kinds of other stuff...Time to get crackin'
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #55
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

man that flywheel looks scary!
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #56
RCArmy434
Board Member

Cool, is that the trans Vince used in his car?

242 Build
RCArmy434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #57
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast242gt View Post
man that flywheel looks scary!
You haven't seen the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCArmy434 View Post
Cool, is that the trans Vince used in his car?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #58
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well, it looks like I had a reality check. I'll finish paying for my MS2 v3.57 setup this coming friday, my clutch disc is in the mail, the head is at the machine shop, and I found a cheap laptop for tuning purposes on craigslist the other day...I'm trying to get it running on Linux now.

It looks like I should have all the pieces in one place by Saturday, the 13th. I really, really want to finish in time to drive it to school on the 20th, but I really don't think I will. But honestly, it doesn't much matter. I still have to make a couple small purchases anyway. It does, however, look like it'll be ready for SE, just in time to break something.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #59
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

BAM! it's been over a month since an update, and stuff is falling together even more. I just got my MS box in the mail (DIY Autotune-assembled MSII v3.57 box, 4 bar mapdaddy sensor), I finished porting and polishing my head and just got it back from the machine shop, flywheel is getting surfaced this week, so it looks like next time I'm home from school, I'll get the motor assembled and put the motor/trans in the car. I'm still hunting for a wideband and a couple other little things, but I've got the majority of the parts to rock 'n roll on this bitch. I should probably order some tubing and a muffler to do my exhaust as well...
Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #60
stylngle2003
Board Member

we did that flywheel, btw. I didn't realize vince sold the whole setup, but I guess it makes sense since he's going autotragic.

excellent project Jared. Do NOT run a pucked clutch on that flywheel. Organic, carbon or carbon/kevlar only!
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD (hauls ass)
1990 Mazda Miata (track toy)
stylngle2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #61
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylngle2003 View Post
we did that flywheel, btw. I didn't realize vince sold the whole setup, but I guess it makes sense since he's going autotragic.

excellent project Jared. Do NOT run a pucked clutch on that flywheel. Organic, carbon or carbon/kevlar only!
Yeah, I've got a regular organic sprung hub CN disc...not sure if I posted that or not. I'm looking for somewhere that will clean up/surface the pressure plate...I know it's not commonly done, but the PP is in great shape except for the ridge/burnt spots from the pucked clutch. I figure if they have to take a little material off of the face of the PP, the same amount of material could be taken off the dished part of the flywheel (where the PP bolts to) that is taken off the face of the PP to retain the correct tolerances. It wouldn't take much to make the PP face flat again, but I don't want to run it as is.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #62
stick70
All the gauges

Win, look forward to seeing it
Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #63
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Win, look forward to MS'ing it
Fixed.

Now where's my Corona...
Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #64
stick70
All the gauges

hahahaha you should practice your tuning on my 242
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #65
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Don't tempt me.

I think I'll come home next weekend for mini-se and see if I can get the motor/trans assembled and in the car. The only thing I really lack is a pilot bearing.

Kyle-the flywheel bolts take blue loctite, right?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #66
stick70
All the gauges

I think...can't remember
Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #67
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well...it's now officially, irrevocably autumn.

Pics coming tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #68
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Billy, would it be possible to at least round off some of the sharp corners in that thing? I really wouldn't want to hear about any amputated limbs, regardless of whether it is running a street full faced clutch or not.

Call me overly concerned, but seeing the carnage in Simon's car, I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer the same fate

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #69
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

There are no sharp corners. Where the step area was cut, there's a pretty decent radius to it. Simon's step was cut at a 90* angle.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #70
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Well...got the motor assembled today

Also picked up my shift knob from Pete-a local guy who owns Alphatech. It's dark walnut with a Cloisonne enamel emblem inlaid. I love it! Not bad for $30.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #71
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

A HUGE thanks to Derrick/940Guy. He came over today and helped me get everything assembled and in the car. Everything is in...just got a few little things to tidy up, including an issue with the transmission crossmember/mount. Anyway, here's a couple pics.

And here's the issue with the trans mount...the way Vince built it, I'm sure it worked in his car, but I think something changed with the later model cars. No matter how I put the mount on the transmission, or flip that metal plate around, the mount is either too far forward or too far back on the plate that is welded to the crossmember. Now, that's not really an issue, as drilling 2 more holes in the crossmember plate is easy. The issue is that if I bolt the crossmember to the car in the only way that I can, I can only get 2 bolts in...the rear holes on the crossmember don't match up with any holes in the body.

Here's a picture of the holes that are in the frame. The bolt that is just sticking out of the frame and the hole directly in front (to the right) of that is where my original trans crossmember was bolted.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #72
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

ey, isnt the body holes different on the later cars for trans crossmembers?

cheers to derrick, he's a go getter get' done'r
Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #73
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

That's what I'm thinking. I've got a thread up in performance with pretty little numbers and a better explanation.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #74
smokeyfan1000

You got a auto or manual crossmember there? Isn't there a difference between auto/manual crossmember? Can't recall right off. There should be holes that fit. look harder?

And have ya tried flipping end to end, the crossmember the other way?
Old 11-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #75
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

It's a manual crossmember...identical to the M46 one that came out of my car. And no, I can't flip the crossmember around. It hits the transmission then. Derrick and I tried every combination we could of the orienteation of crossmember, plates, mount, etc. No dice any way we tried it. I think the later model cars have slightly different mounting points in the frame rail.