home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #626
Broke4speed
Board Member

Started building a manifold for my DHLAs. Nothing says I need an off-the-shelf manifold for this to work, and hotrodders made all sorts of garage parts back in the day...so lets give it a go .

Old 04-16-2021, 05:51 PM   #627
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got the last piece I needed to have a completely new exhaust. It's really difficult to find the non-cat mid-pipe so I just ordered the whole B21A downpipe/midpipe combo from Nordicar. It came in a week from the Netherlands and it's AMAZING. The secondaries are super long, which kinda sucks because I wanted to put the O2 in the merge but I don't want it that far from the engine. I'll have to pick a secondary to use, which isn't THAT bad...but...doh :(.

I'll probably give it a coat of engine enamel before I throw it in, if I have enough.

Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #628
volvorsport
Board Member

Can you sell me the AQ140 manifold ?

muhahhahahhhahhaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
volvorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #629
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorsport View Post
Can you sell me the AQ140 manifold ?
It's not for sale yet, I'm going to use it for the summer at least. The DHLA/DCOE manifold is a project for later down the road. I get pretty bored if I don't have anything to do/build/etc so things like that keep me busy without having to take my car off the road for the driving season .
Old 04-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #630
volvorsport
Board Member

Ok no worries. Think I've found one in the uk
volvorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #631
Broke4speed
Board Member

Went for the first long drive today (60 km round trip) and it performed terrifically. The only issue is...well...me. My ZS carbs are adjustable from the bottom by moving the jet itself up or down. As it turns out, there is such a thing as 'too high', because as I was trying to lean it out slightly for cruising, it worked great for a while and then went off the scale lean. I had to pull the choke out to drive home (since the ZS choke adds fuel too). I turned the adjusting screw back to where it was (1/4 turn only) and everything was great. I think the jet simply got too high into the airstream and the intake signal wasn't consistent enough to pull the fuel it needed.

With all the later ZS carbs, the needle is adjustable and the jet stays put (usually a couple thou under flush), so I think I see why they did that.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #632
Broke4speed
Board Member

I got bored and swapped the needles to a '2A' set from a TR4, instead of the '2AA' set from an AQ165/170A that came in the carbs I'm using. The profile is leaner overall, but the idle manners are waaaaaaaaay better. Cruise...well...14-15:1 is where it sits, depending on gear...so I'm pretty happy with that. I think I'll need to go back to the thinner dashpot oil to lean out the acc fueling a bit, but it's nice and snappy as-is, so time will tell.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #633
S70T5fivespeed
Its always 7:4O somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Went for the first long drive today (60 km round trip) and it performed terrifically. The only issue is...well...me. My ZS carbs are adjustable from the bottom by moving the jet itself up or down. As it turns out, there is such a thing as 'too high', because as I was trying to lean it out slightly for cruising, it worked great for a while and then went off the scale lean. I had to pull the choke out to drive home (since the ZS choke adds fuel too). I turned the adjusting screw back to where it was (1/4 turn only) and everything was great. I think the jet simply got too high into the airstream and the intake signal wasn't consistent enough to pull the fuel it needed.

With all the later ZS carbs, the needle is adjustable and the jet stays put (usually a couple thou under flush), so I think I see why they did that.
Nice congrats! First good drive of the season is always awesome

Although I ducked pulling my 740s from storage today lol
05 V70T5M grey on beige
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #634
Broke4speed
Board Member

Come on, get it out...you know you want to...;).
Old 05-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #635
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Alright, so. Ok.

I just spent the morning reading (as much as I could) this entire build thread, 2016 to current.

I'm guessing this was already covered, but whatever happened to the B6304 after you swapped it out for the AQ?

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Will you do $14.99 shipped?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IansPlatinum View Post
please no more prying things with screwdrivers and bashing things with hammers!
--------------------------------------------

-1967 144S (wasted)
fatcatbestcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #636
Broke4speed
Board Member

It's still in my garage, on a stand. It's too nice to toss, and there's not really a huge market for volvo stuff in my area, so I'm just using it as decoration right now . It's a really nice engine, but I feel it would be a lot better with a manual box attached.

Tomorrow I'm heading out on a trip to a buddy's junkyard in Napanee, which is a 5 hour round trip from my place. It's time to put the car back into use...although you can bet my CAA is up to date, lol.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #637
fatcatbestcat
Professional Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
It's still in my garage, on a stand. It's too nice to toss, and there's not really a huge market for volvo stuff in my area, so I'm just using it as decoration right now . It's a really nice engine, but I feel it would be a lot better with a manual box attached.
Hmmmm. I might be interested in taking it off your hands at some point, if you'd be interested in selling.

Figuring out a plan B) for if/when (when) the D24 in my wagon explodes.
fatcatbestcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #638
Broke4speed
Board Member

Well, odds are it'll probably still be here, lol.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #639
Broke4speed
Board Member

This is my chair of 'fun things to install later' .

I'm super impressed with BNE/Kaplhenke's shipping. I waited less than a week and a half for the torque rods and panhard bar to arrive. I'm in Canada, so it's not always a given that shipping will be quick or smooth...and this was both .
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #640
Broke4speed
Board Member

BNE hybrid torque rods installed...then uninstalled after reading the install notes on the site...then re-installed. The initial test drive was anti-climactic, which I guess goes to show how good they are at retaining the civility of standard torque rods. I dig 'em . I tried to install the BNE panhard bar but was stymied by a too-tight/seized bolt, so I decided to save that for another day.

I just have to re-iterate how much I like this dual Zenith-Stromberg setup. It's definitely one of the more fun setups this car has had .