home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #51
tomasss
former PRVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
The link shows motorcycle brake lines...have you bought one of these? Or you let them fabricate a custom line for you? Do you have an actual picture of the line?
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
I would rather push a 240 than drive a V70.
lazy PRV engine? Check >this< out
tomasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #52
Sjeng
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasss View Post
The link shows motorcycle brake lines...have you bought one of these? Or you let them fabricate a custom line for you? Do you have an actual picture of the line?
Tomasss sorry for the late reply.
Yes I let them make a custom line, 80cm length and 2x12mm banjo fittings.
I will make a pic from it on the car.

Small update:

I'm working on a rear axle right now.
I have a spare 940 3.54 rear axle which I will put under the 740, with a spartan locker diff.
Had the axle sandblasted and it was then painted with Brantho Korrux 3 in 1.Quite satisfied with the results! Still need to shoot some pics though.

One problem though, the spartan locker does not fit well in the 940 diff carrier.
The gap between two halves is not within spec (too large).
I can do two things, either use shims to reduce the gap, or use the 740 carrier that's in the car.

I have not been able to find the right shims unfortunately... they should be 40mm ID and 50 or 60mm OD, with a thickness of around 1mm. You can find these shims, but not in a decent (hard) material type. Probably it's the easiest to just use the 740 carrier.

Overall the car drives well! I increased the boost to 1 bar and it's quite fun now!
Already faster than my old 940 with the hy35 and 1.3 bar.
I have to mention though, the power rapidly drops off after 6000rpm. This is probably the nature of the stock camshafts tough. The powerband is large enough with this turbo so I don't really care about that.

Here you can see the gap of the locker halves, caused by the internal pace of the 940 carrier being slightly larger. Also you notice I cut off 3/4th of teeth of the speedo tone ring.

Axle:

Last edited by Sjeng; 04-30-2021 at 06:59 AM..
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:58 AM   #53
Sjeng
Board Member

Update:

JW240 gave me a correct carrier to use with the locker, so I installed this into the painted axle, many thanks.
This axle has 3.54 gearing, the gearing in the car was 3.31.

First impressions: (1.5 hours of driving)

- Way more straigt line grip
- Ratcheting noise inside car is not that noticeable, but it is on the outside of the car.
- Cornering while (heavy) engine braking locks up the diff, can be annoying in tight corners
- If you slightly apply throttle during cornering it does not lock
- Heavy throttle during cornering drives very well and can induce oversteer, which seems easily controllable.
- Operation is not harsh at all.
- The 3.54 gears make the car a lot more pleasant to drive.

It gets annoying when you have tight corners when there is traffic in front of you, which forces you to slow down and corner with a locked axle.
Apart from this it drives quite well, although there obviously are more elegant ($$) options than this.

Also did some more tuning. Engine is running around 120-130kPA of boost now.
Rev limiter is increased to 7100rpm with 200rpm soft limiter. (Was 6600)
In practice I shift at around 6600 rpm now, that's where the torque starts to fall off.
Some extra timing up top worked well.

An impression:

Probably will be needing a new subframe and torque rods.

Last edited by Sjeng; 04-30-2021 at 10:04 AM..
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote