home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
Deadwrong33

Default Hood issue on my 740

Hi all need help my 1990 740 the hood release cable is broke and came out into my hand when I tried popping the hood by pulling with a pliers. That being said the passenger side is open but the drivers is shut tight still. How do I manually pop this hood as I have a new cable on the way.
Thx in advance
Deadwrong33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:41 AM   #2
Mr. V
Board Member

Here ya go:

http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900F...k_Hood_Release
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
Deadwrong33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Thx for the info but I donít have another 740 to reference if anyone has a pic of the latch that unlocks this hood please help thx
Old 04-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #4
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwrong33 View Post
Thx for the info but I don’t have another 740 to reference if anyone has a pic of the latch that unlocks this hood please help thx
Would have been sooner, but I had errands to run, and it took a while to find and edit appropriate pics from that darn old InterWeb.

Had a look at mine today (also a 1990 740).

The latches themselves look like this:

The "grabber tooth thing" you see down the hole is actually just a big spring that blocks part of the receiver hole, with loops for the release cable to attach. There's 2 loops so the same latch can be used on either side.

The 2 latches work the same as an old bicycle brake caliper (one side pulled by the cable, the other side pushed by the cable housing).

Some people say to stick something sideways through the grille. That seems impossible (to me), as the latch is hidden behind the vertical sheet metal bracket that supports the grille.

Looks like the only way to get at it (and see what you're doing) is from underneath. You'll need a longish stick, fed up behind the air dam and the headlight frame, on a slight forward and inward angle. The driver's side loop needs to be pushed to the right (towards the middle of the car). Either loop will do, since they're part of the same spring. I looked down from my latch, and it's a pretty clear shot to the ground. Tight fit, but nothing in the way.

It would probably help to have someone push down on the hood (or lightly bounce it) at the same time, to take any pressure off the latch's spring. Once it's open, make sure to grease the silly things!

1990 740GL, now in extra-small economy size.
513,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
Deadwrong33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Would have been sooner, but I had errands to run, and it took a while to find and edit appropriate pics from that darn old InterWeb.

Had a look at mine today (also a 1990 740).

The latches themselves look like this:

The "grabber tooth thing" you see down the hole is actually just a big spring that blocks part of the receiver hole, with loops for the release cable to attach. There's 2 loops so the same latch can be used on either side.

The 2 latches work the same as an old bicycle brake caliper (one side pulled by the cable, the other side pushed by the cable housing).

Some people say to stick something sideways through the grille. That seems impossible (to me), as the latch is hidden behind the vertical sheet metal bracket that supports the grille.

Looks like the only way to get at it (and see what you're doing) is from underneath. You'll need a longish stick, fed up behind the air dam and the headlight frame, on a slight forward and inward angle. The driver's side loop needs to be pushed to the right (towards the middle of the car). Either loop will do, since they're part of the same spring. I looked down from my latch, and it's a pretty clear shot to the ground. Tight fit, but nothing in the way.

It would probably help to have someone push down on the hood (or lightly bounce it) at the same time, to take any pressure off the latch's spring. Once it's open, make sure to grease the silly things!

Thank you so much this clarifies it for sure itís just the drivers side Iím going to try tomorrow to push towards the middle of the car to free the one spring that is stuck 👍
Old 04-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
Deadwrong33

Thx this is very helpful now I have an idea of how to free the drivers side spring ��