• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Change IPD Adjustable Cam Gear Timing

Bcmonks

Hello,

I had my IPD Adjustable Cam Gear installed by someone else, and I'm not sure how I am supposed to change the timing on it. I want to make sure I don't make it harder than it needs to be. I made an extremely crude drawing as a visual aid.

K9jEE4l

(Link if embedding the image doesn't work: https://imgur.com/K9jEE4l)

Let's say that mine is currently on -2.5, as shown by the -2.5 matching up with the notch on the circle behind the cam gear (Labeled B, not sure what that is called) & the little hole near the middle of the cam gear that aligns with -2.5 being filled by the cam shaft.

If I wanted to make mine +5, would I just pull the timing belt off, pull the gear off, and just put it back on with the +5 matching up with the hole and the cam gear wheel notch? Or would i have to also line up the notch that is in the upper left (labeled C)?

Sorry if this is a very stupid question, I just really don't want to mess up my car by throwing the timing off balance, or doing something I'm not supposed to.

Yep. If you wanted to run +5, then put the cam's dowel pin in the one with the line that goes to +5, then time the engine normally using the dot above +5 as the timing mark. Engine at TDC, that dot pointing away from the crank, put the belt on, etc etc.

tl;dr: When you pick an option, pretend that only the dowel hole and timing mark for the desired timing option exist, and treat it like a normal cam gear.

Yep. If you wanted to run +5, then put the cam's dowel pin in the one with the line that goes to +5, then time the engine normally using the dot above +5 as the timing mark. Engine at TDC, that dot pointing away from the crank, put the belt on, etc etc.

tl;dr: When you pick an option, pretend that only the dowel hole and timing mark for the desired timing option exist, and treat it like a normal cam gear.

So if I was to put this into steps, you are saying that I should:

1. Remove the belt
2. Remove the cam gear
3. Line up desired timing with number with dowel pin and reinstall cam gear
4. Turn cam gear until desired timing mark lines up with TDC mark (B with C)
5. Put belt back on

Is this correct? Also when I turn the cam gear (Step 4), what should I be spinning? The actual gear? Or should i be turning the crank?

Last edited:
What I would do...line engine to tdc, remove belt, remove cam gear, line newly installed cam gear with dowel installed towards +5, put cam gear at tdc using your cam dowel, which is at +5. reinstall belt. All the other timing gears will still be at tdc, you just have to make sure your cam gear is when you put the belt back on

Just re read others posts..looks like step by step has already been posted..my bad.

If you don't want to mess anything up. Be sure to use a torque wrench on the cam gear and tensioner fasteners. 36 ftlb for both cam gear bolt and tensioner bolt. Don't turn over the cam by the bolt on the gear. Make sure you double check to be sure the timing is correct.

What I would do...line engine to tdc, remove belt, remove cam gear, line newly installed cam gear with dowel installed towards +5, put cam gear at tdc using your cam dowel, which is at +5. reinstall belt. All the other timing gears will still be at tdc, you just have to make sure your cam gear is when you put the belt back on

Just re read others posts..looks like step by step has already been posted..my bad.

I just want to make sure I fully understand. If I was to put the engine at TDC, doesn't that also mean the dowel would be pointing towards TDC? If so, why would I have to put the cam gear at TDC if all I am doing is removing the cam gear, and then putting it back on with the dowel pointing at +5? Wouldn't it already have +5 at TDC?

Or am I misunderstanding?

I wish I had one of those two piece cam gears, this would be so much easier.

First you are putting the crank at TDC with number one firing which is when the mark on the cam will be correct.

The cam turns at half the speed of the engine. So you put the cam mark where you set it before because that is number one firing with the crankshaft at TDC. Now you remove the belt and gear and put the gear at the correct marking for the timing you desire. Now you have set the new mark to the location of number one cylinder firing.

The crankshaft can also be at TDC when number four cylinder is firing but the cam won't be in the correct location for you to setup the timing.

When the cam gear is removed and the engine is at TDC number one firing the dowel will point up toward the mark in the plastic or valve cover depending on the engine.

After looking closely at this Cam Pulley, I do see now how it works. Set crank to TDC and cam straight up, install the pulley with the advanced or retarded number that you want lined up with the cam timing mark.

Last edited:
Back