• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What flavor of beige is this '79 242? OR Dude, where's my paint code?

Stiggy Pop

In the cool kids club
Everything I've read said the paint code should be on the strut tower build plate. Am I missing it here?
UJUNgGk.jpg

This is the back side of my gas cap, original paint.
Left is 122 - Mojave Beige... too sandy
Center is 137 - Artesia Beige... I thought this was going to be it, but it was too pink
Right is 137 tinted to match... pretty good, certainly good enough for engine bay and underbody
Paint is Limco Supreme plus single stage urethane, which laid out nicely.
NTvxLzs.jpg

so what color is it?
uRSlOD6.jpg

Color code is always listed on the right hand side with 3 digits, then a dash then 2 more digits. Digits before the dash are the paint code, digits after the dash are info on the paint brand and type (solvent/water/etc). Got another plate somewhere in there that looks like so?

vin81.jpg

White?? Seemed like the beigest thing on four wheels to me...

But what about the paint code? Should I be looking elsewhere for it? I'm going to be doing windshield channel repair eventually, so I'd like to at least know if I could be using a different code as a base.

The tinted 137 is pretty good, you can see it next to body color in this kinda blurry pic. I just don't know about it on an exterior panel. I know, I know, why are you cutting strut towers AFTER paint?? But I ended up with Kaplan struts the week after we sprayed so doing it a little backwards.
NewfPZZ.jpeg

Color code is always listed on the right hand side with 3 digits, then a dash then 2 more digits. Digits before the dash are the paint code, digits after the dash are info on the paint brand and type (solvent/water/etc). Got another plate somewhere in there that looks like so?

Nope, that was the only VIN/build plate type of thing under the hood, and it was located exactly where that diagram shows. Everything else was typical warning sticker stuff. The car had body/paint work done ~12 years ago that was of really good quality and match, but under the hood was definitely original so I don't think anything could really be missing in there.

Try looking on the metal VIN tag on the passenger fender (underhood area) around the upper strut mount area. That's where the ID plate with the paint code should be.

Wow - that's a good looking engine compartment - you should start a thread on your build!
I'm sure a lot of people would like to see you scraping undercoating, scrubbing with kerosene, then sanding the underside of the car, and than the multiple coats of rust bullet and then paint that went on everything.

Notice that the car is on a lift - how long did it tie up your garage?

Who is that with the saw cutting up your car?
Your poorly paid helper?

Back