• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

7 series ipd belly pan?

I don't think they ever made one. I bought my first 700 back in '98 and have been waiting for one ever since then. I was focused on non-car stuff for a year or two so I guess its possible they produced a limited number during that time, but I've never seen one.

I swear I had the winning lotto numbers, guess I'm mistaken. lol

Honestly, I don't remember having seen one either. They've done various belly pans for the 240's and the FWD stuff, but no love for the grandpa cars. Doesn't bother me as I run without mine in the summer, seems to cool a lot better without it, especially the oil temps.

I would have bought two or three and I know other people who would have bought them too. I know it wouldn't be a huge seller, but it seems like they would have made enough money for it to be worth their time. I don't know if they just don't like 700s or what.

I'm growing less fond of IPD and this is one of the reasons. They are focusing less and less on RWD stuff now too.

Instead of sniveling about the lack of a part, why don't you do something about it?

Organize a potential group buy or have them made and sell them.

I don't know if they just don't like 700s or what.

I'm growing less fond of IPD and this is one of the reasons. They are focusing less and less on RWD stuff now too.

I can assure you it has nothing to do with model favoritism.

I'm also curious why you think we're "focusing less and less on RWD stuff now"? In fact, we're carrying more part numbers now for RWD Volvo that I think we ever have. In the year and a half or so since I moved into the Product Line Manager position at IPD I've personally added several hundred new part numbers for RWD Volvo models. The breadth of options for these cars from us is maybe wider than you're thinking.

Given, R&D resources and focus on performance parts and new/exclusive parts definitely has shifted away from RWD, but that's nothing new. Just a matter of moving with the times and allocating resources based on returns. IPD performance parts focus has always followed the more current cars (including when RWD were the current cars). However, if you're curious about the passion for performance rear wheel drive Volvos here at IPD, look no further than the front page of the website I'm typing on right now.

I know it can be frustrating sometimes when you don't find what you want for your project, but don't give up on IPD ;-) Feel free to email me direct with any product requests as well.

What do you guys want belly pans for? Seriously? A fashion accessory? Or cause you know in you hoonin' around you going to ground the sump on something nasty? I know what I want a sump guard for...heh heh heh....

I can assure you it has nothing to do with model favoritism.

I'm also curious why you think we're "focusing less and less on RWD stuff now"? In fact, we're carrying more part numbers now for RWD Volvo that I think we ever have. In the year and a half or so since I moved into the Product Line Manager position at IPD I've personally added several hundred new part numbers for RWD Volvo models. The breadth of options for these cars from us is maybe wider than you're thinking.

Given, R&D resources and focus on performance parts and new/exclusive parts definitely has shifted away from RWD, but that's nothing new. Just a matter of moving with the times and allocating resources based on returns. IPD performance parts focus has always followed the more current cars (including when RWD were the current cars). However, if you're curious about the passion for performance rear wheel drive Volvos here at IPD, look no further than the front page of the website I'm typing on right now.

I know it can be frustrating sometimes when you don't find what you want for your project, but don't give up on IPD ;-) Feel free to email me direct with any product requests as well.

Personally, I only go to IPD for performance parts. I get normal aftermarket replacement parts elsewhere for wholesale prices, or I go to the dealer for OE parts. So what I said really only pertains to the aftermarket performance side of things. Its been a long time since I've seen a new performance part for a 2/7/900. I noticed you guys aren't selling upper braces for 7/900s anymore either. I would also like to see more engine performance parts like a performance cam for turbo engines, or an adapter to mount the wastegate bracket on a re-clocked 15G. Or even existing parts like a Momo hub adapter and nice steering wheel.

I bought every OHC RWD performance part you guys sell like 15 years ago and I've been waiting for more stuff ever since then.

Whats up with 7/900 metal bellypans? Why did they never get produced? Is it too late to hope that IPD might sell them one day?

Edit: I see you have a turbo camshaft now, I didn't see it last time I looked.

Last edited:
IPD made a metal 850 pan a few years ago, probably what you're thinking of.

Parts get made in relation to demand and sales...Simple equation

What RWC said. There's several of us on the board that really like 7's, and we can get the staples; Springs, sways, adj. Panhard (only to offset the springs), and some poly bushings and the iPd turbo cam. I mean, I wish too that we could get all the iPd swag you can get for the 240 (adj. Torque rods, belly pan, upper brace etc.), but there is no market. So, we've got specialty shops, like Yoshifab or Kaplanhenke (sp.?) where we have to spend the extra money to cover the R&D, but it's there, and it's built for your 7/9. That's a working business model that just wouldn't fit in iPd's pre-existing pricing setups without alienating non-enthusiasts.

And lastly: what do we need a metal belly pan for? The plastic one only covers the front of the engine, which is above the crossmember anyways. The plastic one works quite well for deflecting road rocks/puddles and identifying the origins of my leaks, hahaha. I guess maybe if you magically drove a over gigantic rock specifically into the front of the engine, you could get some damage, but that seems like it takes effort.

Anyways, that's my deuce centos.

It's all about enough demand to justify R&D and production runs to make a profit. Just because a few people are willing to pay for parts is not enough. Just not enough people willing to spend 2k on a 700 series suspension upgrade for example to justify companies making parts like they do for Camaros or Porsches etc.
besides in this age, it's not that hard to make your own stuff and you won't meet yourself coming and going at the local hangout/show

Back