• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 91 940 se trans fluid questions

awakenthedead

I was checking fluids today, and my trans fluid isn't below the min mark at full temp but its is only about 1/8 of an inch above which in my book is low. I do not know the make, type or if its synthetic or non-synthetic thats in the trans now, it could probably go for a flush but i don't have time or funds for that now so i just need to fill it. Not knowing that make, type if its synthetic or not, what do you guys recommend i put in? also with where on the dip stick the fluid is, how much should i put in?

Dexron III in the AW71 in my 88 760 Turbo. The dipstick has 2 sides. One side for cold, the other side for hot on my car.

Im aware of the 2 sided dipstick. since i don't know its non synth or synth fluid should i buy non synth or synth? also what brand would be good choice? and again how much should i add considering where the fluid is at on the dipstick now? i really don't want to over fill it.

Synthetic and non-synthetic fluids are fine with each other, with perhaps the notable exception of detergent and non detergent aviation oils, which isn't germane here. Add a couple of ounces of ATF at a time until you get the results you want on the stick. When you're feeling uh, a little more flush...:oops:;-), go ahead and change out your ATF, filter, pan gasket, and flush your system as prescribed in the IPD directions. Great to have a buddy help you with this, but not essential.;-)

... well i slightly overfilled it. how bad is it to overfill an automatic trans? on one side of the stick its right on the mark, and on the other side its showing between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch on the stick over max. I'd love to flush it but I'm a student and live in the dorms and i fined if i add fluid to my car in the parking lot. and they do notice because of cameras so flushing it means i have to take it to a shop :(

No need to take it to a shop. I've done mine in the local auto parts parking lot. Did it out of the way on the side lot. Pre marked quarts on a gallon milk jug, used IPD kit, and whatever came out, I added with fresh fluid until it ran clear. That's just if you want to flush. May have to take it to a shop for filter change. My suggestion would be to buy everything you need, take it to the shop, and have them just charge you labor. After that, you can flush anywhere, as long as you don't make a mess. The IPD kit and a pre-marked jug allows you to pretty much do it anywhere.

Ive read about how thats done and I'm honestly not terribly comfortable doing it myself. if it didn't require me running the car and adding fluid as I'm pumping out old fluid i would be game but thats not how it is so ill have to wait till i can afford a shop to do it. in the mean time how much should i worry about the slight overfill?

Yes but I really wouldn't worry if you are that slight bit off. The upper line on the radiator is the best place. You will need the IPD kit or a hose to fit, and a bottle. Car has to be running, so the trans pump will expel fluid. I'd be quick. You will probably lose more than you overfilled, then just top off.

I also definitely don't feel comfortable pulling trans fluid lines and running fluid out with the car on otherwise id flush it myself at the local AZ parking lot. i take it then that even this slight overfill is a bad thing? its 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch on the top side of the dipstick so maybe an ounce or two of fluid.

That's the only way to get an accurate measurement of what's coming out, so you can refill with the correct amount. I do it in my driveway with the IPD kit and a pre-marked milk jug with qt lines. I haven't ever spilled any fluid doing it that way, and I do it by myself. Its the best way to do a flush. I start the car, fluid goes into milk jug, run it from P to 1, and back up. Fluid starts to stop, I shut engine off. I usually do it one or two quarts at a time, and keep adding what I lose, until it runs clear. Its not that hard at all. Flushing is as easy as an oil change.

That's the only way to get an accurate measurement of what's coming out, so you can refill with the correct amount. I do it in my driveway with the IPD kit and a pre-marked milk jug with qt lines. I haven't ever spilled any fluid doing it that way, and I do it by myself. Its the best way to do a flush. I start the car, fluid goes into milk jug, run it from P to 1, and back up. Fluid starts to stop, I shut engine off. I usually do it one or two quarts at a time, and keep adding what I lose, until it runs clear. Its not that hard at all. Flushing is as easy as an oil change.

This is how I did it, except that I used a short length of trans line from the junk yard and about 5 feet of clear vinyl tubing. I think I used about 9 quarts of Wally World Dexron III.

I have tried flushing one trans before, using the exact method you guys are talking about and the trans died less than 200 miles afterwards. because of this i do not feel comfortable flushing a trans this way myself. i will not do it. at this point i simply need to know will this much of an overfill be harmful if i leave it unattended? if it will, can i use a length of hose and a vac pump to syphon the few ounces of overfill out?

An 1/8" over full isn't going to do anything. That's like filling oil just past the full mark on the stick, by accident. The engine isn't going to fall apart. If you flushed the trans and it died 200 miles later, then the koolaid man was already knocking on that trans.

Thats very likely but it still has me uncomfortable doing it. the fluid isn't bad, its a darker red not bright ruby red but its not burned and or brown or black. the PO said he had it flushed about 3 years ago when he first got it. it hasn't been driven hard but has had about 20-30k miles put on it and as i understand it the fluid life is usually around 60k? if it being just this overfull isn't gonna hurt it I'm not gonna worry about it, I've just always been told any at all over fill on an auto trans can be catastrophic and I've read that a little over fill is nothing to worry about so with mixed general info i prefer to rely on people who own cars with that same trans and more experience with them.

Thats very likely but it still has me uncomfortable doing it. the fluid isn't bad, its a darker red not bright ruby red but its not burned and or brown or black. the PO said he had it flushed about 3 years ago when he first got it. it hasn't been driven hard but has had about 20-30k miles put on it and as i understand it the fluid life is usually around 60k? if it being just this overfull isn't gonna hurt it I'm not gonna worry about it, I've just always been told any at all over fill on an auto trans can be catastrophic and I've read that a little over fill is nothing to worry about so with mixed general info i prefer to rely on people who own cars with that same trans and more experience with them.

Don't worry about such a small amount of overfill. 1/8" to 1/4" isn't great, but it shouldn't be fatal. Get all the components together, and hire someone to do it if you're worried.;-)

Drain and refill would change maybe half the fluid.

Well i feel a bit better now, i drove the car around, got it to temp and parked it and checked the fluid again(this time on much more level ground) and it appears now to be right on the money at max, if its over its just by a hair. i realized when i checked it before it was on a sever slop down and to the left. i must day its shifting much differently now. before the shifts were delayed from what id expect and they were very gear slammy, now the shifts are more constant and smooth but still noticeable but not feeling like I'm dumping the clutch in a manual. I'm assuming the way its shifting now is a good thing i hope?

Back