• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Are M46 internal parts exchangeable?

alschnertz

Enough already!
I have the original aluminum case M46 from my '86 745T. It chewed up a syncronizer hub years ago at 144,000 miles and has been sitting in a box since. At the time, I swapped in a lower mileage junkyard cast iron case M46 from what was marked as a '88 240.

I also picked up 2 free complete (but with undiagnosed issues) cast iron M46 gearboxes for parts. I was told the 2 parts transmissions were from early 80ish cars. My intention was to rebuild my original gearbox. Fast forward 8 years, and it's time to start this rebuild.

My question is are the internal parts identical and interchangeable between aluminum and cast iron M46s?

I didn't see any type-tags (like a M4, M40 or M41 has) attached to any of the gearboxes but did see the following numbers embossed on the side of the gearbox cases:
Part # of the aluminum box appears to be 1023571;
Part # of the 2 cast boxes appears to be 1023584.

Maybe someone could point me to parts lists and exploded views of both style gearboxes.
I found some exploded views online, but didn't see part numbers specified.

Also, was the aluminum gearbox only used on turbo cars?

Last edited:
I think 240s got iron and 7/9s got aluminum. I'm not sure that's right though.

Iron case till 86 on 240's and then the M47 in 87.

Not sure but I think the early 700's got iron cases early as well although I'm not sure when they went to alloy.

84-85 if I had to guess?

To answer the OP's question the late 'P' type OD M46's have a bigger main shaft, so no not all M46 internal parts are compatible.

Last edited:
Really early transmissions used a bronze bushing instead of a caged needle bearing on the main shaft gears.

On later transmissions there's a change in the 1st gear ratio from 3.71 to 4.03:1. With a few exceptions, most of the internal parts will interchange. M47 gears are even the same.

Greenbooks:

M45/46 '76-'78 (Swedish)

M45/46 '79-

M46/47

Iron case till 86 on 240's and then the M47 in 87.

Not sure but I think the early 700's got iron cases early as well although I'm not sure when they went to alloy.

84-85 if I had to guess?

To answer the OP's question the late 'P' type OD M46's have a bigger main shaft, so no not all M46 internal parts are compatible.

My '85 764 Turbo came with an alloy case. It is a pretty early car with a steel gas tank.

All my gearboxes are J-types.

Shoutout to hiperfauto for the greenbooks. Those are awesome.
I've rebuilt a few M4s, M40s and M41 Ds & Js. I'm betting that the M46 should be similar.
Maybe I'll even be able to cobble together 2 good gearboxes out of all the parts. It will be nice to get the original box back together.

Many thanks to all for the information.

Back