• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 960 Slow To Start

stick70

Big dreams, medium skills
As the title says, I have a bone stock 1993 960. Not super familiar with the in's and out's of these things, are there any common failure points for me to look at?

The thing runs great always, but starting has gotten slow on it. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries cranking to get it going, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's going to get worse.

A couple of background things, the dual fuel pumps have been replaced with a big single Aeromotive pump and the fuel pressure regulator has been replaced with a new OEM unit, so I know those two parts are not the issue. I have fuel pressure with the key on. This problem has started well after those pieces were replaced anyways, but I have wondered if it could be a leaky injector? No proof to that.

Can you smell gas under the hood? The fuel rail on my 1995 960 developed a pin hole leak at the end and after a while I could actually watch it dripping gas. When I did replace it my injectors were all good at just shy of 100k.

Check the connection for the crank positioning sensor and make sure that you have fuel pressure at the rail. How does it run once it is started? I had a 740 that would crank for a really long time. Turned out the CPS clip had corrosion in it and made it hard start sometimes.

Back