home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 04-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #151
lookforjoe
Making Volvo Parts Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
I bought the last 9 that ipd had in stock. I cant find them anywhere now.
LOL - I searched online & found some old Hondas & Mitsu's that used a similar design. Ordered some of those & see how it goes in 2 months when they arrive :D

The wagon looks great & nice details/upgrades you are adding along the way.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm C30 AWD conversion Feedback Thread
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:25 AM   #152
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
LOL - I searched online & found some old Hondas & Mitsu's that used a similar design. Ordered some of those & see how it goes in 2 months when they arrive :D

The wagon looks great & nice details/upgrades you are adding along the way.
Howd that work out?

My Momo hub finally showed up! Got everything installed a few days ago:

the definition of love by andrew marvell summary
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:23 PM   #153
Coupid
Board Member

Not much to report, just been driving it a lot on the weekends. I replaced the airbox to turbo hose since I noticed the old one was completely rigid. There was a lot of oil in it and the turbo had some shaft play.

The car also developed a clunk from the passenger side front end. One of the ball joint bolts had loosened itself. I corrected that but that didn’t do the trick. Then I suspected the sway bar endlinks. I completely retorqued those bolts to no effect. Finally this evening I noticed that the collar that holds the strut in the housing was very loose. Bingo!! Got it tightened down and no more clunk.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #154
GrafKroete
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
Yep, my '87 Honda Civic have the same ones for the door seals. Should even be the same size.
GrafKroete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #155
Coupid
Board Member

I was just thinking to myself how nice it was that the car didn’t really leak and stain the driveway. I hosted a drive with SloRolling on Saturday. On Friday night I went out to wash the car and noticed a ton of what turned out to be transmission fluid under the car. One of the o-rings that seals the trans cooler lines to the pan was leaking badly. I went to oriellys and got a pack of orings. Miraculously that did the trick and the car performed admirably all day on the drive. It was about 200 miles on backroads around Santa Barbara county.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:48 PM   #156
jackster999

Great thread! A lot of good work you've done. I just picked up an '88 740 turbo wagon last week and I'm looking to do a lot of the same things, so thanks for the documentation! By the way if your heated seats still aren't working, I was flipping through an online version of the owners manual and found this:

"Electronically-heated seats: The front seats are electrically heated and thermostatically controlled. Automatic engagement begins at 50F (+10C) and ends at 95F (+35C). Use the console-mounted switches to deactivate the heating, if desired." Not sure if it gets cold enough where you are for them to ever activate!
jackster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:57 AM   #157
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster999 View Post
Great thread! A lot of good work you've done. I just picked up an '88 740 turbo wagon last week and I'm looking to do a lot of the same things, so thanks for the documentation! By the way if your heated seats still aren't working, I was flipping through an online version of the owners manual and found this:

"Electronically-heated seats: The front seats are electrically heated and thermostatically controlled. Automatic engagement begins at 50F (+10C) and ends at 95F (+35C). Use the console-mounted switches to deactivate the heating, if desired." Not sure if it gets cold enough where you are for them to ever activate!
Thanks and good luck on your project!

I dug into the seats and the elements are broken in multiple places from age and mileage. I was tempted to replace them but then my priorities changed.

Watch this space for a rebuilt 13c swap and trans service as soon as my ipd shipment arrives
Old 07-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #158
Coupid
Board Member

The turbo swap and trans service are up next. I found an hour to throw an adjustable IPD Panhard bar on the car
Old 08-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #159
Coupid
Board Member

No photos of the transmission service, it was messy and a general PITA. Seems to seep less fluid but I haven’t driven it that much since I replaced the “filter” and pan gasket.

I started the turbo replacement yesterday. The removal actually went very well. No broken studs or anything like that. The turbo was replaced by the po approximately 150k ago. When I went to move the banjo bolts for the coolant lines to the new 13c I realized I made a mistake. The car has a 12b on it and the bolts are different, the oil return line might be different and the 13c won’t bolt to the exhaust manifold because it is designed for a 90+ with studs. Will start a wanted thread for all those goodies and hopefully someone will bail me out lol. PCH checked the local yard for me but they didn’t have any 90+ turbo cars available.

Here are a few photos showing how thrashed the exhaust manifold gaskets were as well as what look to be horrible cracks in the exhaust housing. Definitely glad I’m going the work but wish I did a little more googling before jumping in since the car was running okay prior to disassembly

Old 08-11-2021, 12:02 AM   #160
Coupid
Board Member

Thanks to Roy I am back in business. I bought new lines and banjo bolts from him and he got them shipped out super quickly. The oil feed for the 12b was the same so that simplified things. The oil returns are definitely different:

Out with the old:

In with the new!

All back together

I didn’t have a chance to drive it yet but the idle is fantastic now. I think between the exhaust manifold gaskets being thrashed and the cracks in the exhaust housing this was very worth the time. Can’t wait to drive it!
Old 09-22-2021, 03:57 AM   #161
Hilding
Board Member

Great job, with everything.
This thread is inspiring.
Hilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 AM   #162
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilding View Post
Great job, with everything.
This thread is inspiring.
Thank you! Driving to SLORolling festival tomorrow for a little Volvo car show action
Old 09-25-2021, 11:30 PM   #163
Coupid
Board Member

I had a great trip up to SLOrolling festival today. Ryan and company put on an excellent show! It was a little over 200 miles round trip and the wagon performed flawlessly. I have two new fuel pumps on their way from ipd just cause it seems like good preventative maintenance. Dave Barton was at the show and now I am even more sold on corbeaus since they looked so nice in his car. Might have to pull the trigger on those soon… some photos