• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 240 JY Engine

940s are even harder to come by. Actually I have maybe seen one 940 at the junkyard in the last 5 years. It really has turned into slim pickins here in NC for some reason.

Also this is just a DD. No turbo or mods. A standard block will do just fine for what I am doing.

I would run that with no worries. That rust looks minimal. Unless you pull the water pump and there's a physical buildup, I'm sure it's fine. I've ran cars like that before. Just used a water vinegar mix a handful of heat cycles then flushed and installed 50/50 coolant. 0 issues.

Color of the camshaft and cam caps is 100% normal.

I guess we're fortunate out here in Portland, as parts can still be found locally, including engines.

Good thing all the hippies and yuppies liked and bought Volvos back in the day.

grab that one, clean it up and run it... 'cause really your only other option would be to keep checking online JY inventory daily and be ready to drive down to Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, etc. to pick up a long block

Ya pistons roll smooth and flushing of fluid.

I forgot to get a pic of the oil pan off getting torque converter etc off. Looked great underneath

. That should give you an idea of how bad the galvanic corrosion is. Anti-freeze isn't used to merely stop the block from rusting.

Wrong

Every anti-freeze comes with anti-corrosion additives.

You need different anti-freeze for iron, alloy and iron-alloy engines for that reason.

You can't measure the quality and quantity of the anti-corrosion additives.
They wear down in contrast to the anti-freeze.

You should change the anti-freeze regularly for that reason

I've seen unbelievable corrosioned engines from the Staates because the PO did ignore this rule.

A well maintained engine isn't with any corrosion inside the cooling system

Good luck with your JY engine, looks good, Kay

Wrong

Every anti-freeze comes with anti-corrosion additives.

You need different anti-freeze for iron, alloy and iron-alloy engines for that reason.

You can't measure the quality and quantity of the anti-corrosion additives.
They wear down in contrast to the anti-freeze.

You should change the anti-freeze regularly for that reason

I've seen unbelievable corrosioned engines from the Staates because the PO did ignore this rule.

A well maintained engine isn't with any corrosion inside the cooling system

Good luck with your JY engine, looks good, Kay

I guess you had a comprehension problem with what I wrote. That’s what I said.

Last edited:
LOl right coast is pretty much no more jy cars. Only hoarders like me and the once in a while jy car.

Same here in upper Midwest as property values shoot up, regulations increase, and metal prices can't keep up, there's less and less of the bone yard variety species.

Of course you can still find a few hillbilly yards if you're willing to drive the extra distance and take the chance of dealing with some snarky bumpkin.

:-P

Last edited:
Lol definitely! Its going to be a long few weeks on this.

Hey maybe it will help push through this coronavirus stuff. Quarantine project?

I recently used this stuff on a rusty block
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/evapo-rust-thermocure-tc001/12061948-p?product_channel=local&store=2890&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=2890&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6Ap8vv5DpA1YkPSsBJjY7u3f90cgozkzPxNrDf3wP4EhMUv8FAfNeXRoCfk8QAvD_BwE

It worked well, too well in fact as it ate the rust off the back of a freeze plug in the head and made it leak. It did clean up the rust in the block nicely though. Had to flush it about 6 times before it started draining clear.

Hmm interesting. Seems somewhat harsh potentially. I wonder if I could flush it and get the rust out while its on a stand and flush the jackets. Like water/vinegar and small long scrub brush?

Thanks

Back