• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

Oh yeah, fixed the trans too.

The big hangup was finding a new clutch fork. Finally found one from an old Volvo guy I know. Shimmed the pivot ball, and all is right in the world.

Ok-here's the verdict.

It runs (actually pretty well in warm up enrichment) but once it's out of that, it just falls on it's face most of the time. I have to rev the motor really high and slip the clutch to get moving. Once I'm moving in first, I can't shift into second or on up without really rough bucking.

AFRs are generally good, but when I really try to press the pedal down, it just goes lean and dies basically.

I've posted my MSQ and the most recent datalog if any enterprising souls want to take a look and steer me in the right direction.

http://wecanprintit.org/thetrogantimes/MS Stuff/

If you look at the datalog,you'll notice the AFRs are screwy until about halfway in to the first datalog. (4-07) since I didn't have my LC1 hooked up quite right.

Anyhow, I'm back at school now and will be for 3 weeks or so, so it'll be a bit before I'm back at the car.

VE%2520table.JPG

IGN%2520table.JPG

Keep in mind, this is a stock B230F+T with 42lb injectors, a 15G, DSM CAS for crank signal, and wasted spark ignition.

Haha never bothered to try it. If you need one I ordered enough parts to build a second. It'll splice directly into the two wires that trigger my coils.

Well - I reckon that'll do it too...gotta love easy fixes. Now the real tuning begins.

First time I pulled the motor out of mine to detail and do head/cam/intake/exhaust I used an aftermarket mass air sensor. The car ran like crap when I put it back together. For a couple of weeks we messed with everything -- changed/tuned/adjusted -- made very little difference. Finally discovered that the rubber seal which keeps water out of the MAF plug had been doubled up. The old seal stayed in the female end of the plug (harness) and I never saw it; and the MAF had a new seal on the male connector. With two seals - I could plug in the plug -- but it wasn't making connection. Effect was no MAF at all so it was running in a sort of 'limp' mode. I ignored the MAF code - convinced myself that somehow that was par for the course with an aftermarket MAF....right.

Not much to report-been driving it every day and getting low 20s, slowly tuning it to get better mileage.

Installed my Multi-Xs today fresh from the powdercoater. The tires on them are worthless-just a set I picked up to get rolling. I think they're flatspotted-I get a highway vibration now. Oh well-I'm saving up for a nice set anyway.

Herrafrush guys, avert your eyes. Right now, the tires are 205/65. I'm thinking I might go down to a 55 sidewall. In an odd way, I like the higher ride height.

IMG_5485.jpg

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

IMG_5491.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

HOKAY! Time for an update.

In the past couple weeks, I've done a bit.

Got rid of the craptastic tires, and put on a set of Yokohama S.Drives in 205-55. They look great and good lord do they grip. I mean holy hell, these are awesome tires.

I've been driving it basically every day.

The old clutch was done-I couldn't accelerate in 4th or 5th without smoking the clutch entirely, so it had to come out. I got in touch with JohnV, and here's what we worked out:

Flat 8.5" flywheel, drilled to accept a Kennedy Stage III pressure plate
Aluminum standoffs since the Stg 3 pressure plate is designed for a stepped flywheel
Some random NOVA brand 9" disc I found locally-full face organic, sprung hub.

And it is awesome. Nice, heavy pedal, no slip AT ALL.

Installed a WootBar(tm) which, in conjunction with the new tires, has totally transformed the handling of the car. It goes where you point it now.

And, tonight, it made it's first visit (as well as my first) to the dragstrip.

In the 1/8th mile, I turned in a best time of 9.7, whereas Derrick drove it to an extremely respectable 9.3. Once we get the launches down pat, I don't see any reason why I couldn't crack into 8s in the 1/8th. First chance I get, I'm going out to Rockingham or Zmax to run it in the 1/4.

Still battling a bit of a detonation issue which only rears it's head when ambient temps drop below 70 or so. I'm going to replace the BPR7ES plugs that are in there with a set of 6ES and see if that helps. Also going to re-check the base timing.

Oh, and here are a couple pictures of the new clutch setup.

Qcqaw.jpg

Waxo1.jpg

gHyHg.jpg

Last edited:
HOKAY! Time for an update.

In the past couple weeks, I've done a bit.

Got rid of the craptastic tires, and put on a set of Yokohama S.Drives in 205-55. They look great and good lord do they grip. I mean holy hell, these are awesome tires.

I've been driving it basically every day.

The old clutch was done-I couldn't accelerate in 4th or 5th without smoking the clutch entirely, so it had to come out. I got in touch with JohnV, and here's what we worked out:

Flat 8.5" flywheel, drilled to accept a Kennedy Stage III pressure plate
Aluminum standoffs since the Stg 3 pressure plate is designed for a stepped flywheel
Some random NOVA brand 9" disc I found locally-full face organic, sprung hub.

And it is awesome. Nice, heavy pedal, no slip AT ALL.

Installed a WootBar(tm) which, in conjunction with the new tires, has totally transformed the handling of the car. It goes where you point it now.

And, tonight, it made it's first visit (as well as my first) to the dragstrip.

In the 1/8th mile, I turned in a best time of 9.7, whereas Derrick drove it to an extremely respectable 9.3. Once we get the launches down pat, I don't see any reason why I couldn't crack into 8s in the 1/8th. First chance I get, I'm going out to Rockingham or Zmax to run it in the 1/4.

Still battling a bit of a detonation issue which only rears it's head when ambient temps drop below 70 or so. I'm going to replace the BPR7ES plugs that are in there with a set of 6ES and see if that helps. Also going to re-check the base timing.

Oh, and here are a couple pictures of the new clutch setup.

Qcqaw.jpg

Waxo1.jpg

gHyHg.jpg

no no, go up to 8's. a higher number is a colder plug with ngk.

but I am running 7's at 27 psi without a problem of detto. post up your current msq's? seafoamed that thing?

I guess i need to go back and look at how your intercooler and stuff is setup. did you have a stocker in there?

Yeah-had NGK's heat scale backwards.

Intercooler is a stock late model with the inlet/outlets in the center. Works fine. Kinda makes me scratch my head that I only get knock when the ambient temp goes down.

I'll post my MSQ soon.

Back