• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1986 740T bad idle timing etc (car flooded)

jsttylr

I have a demon on my hands. So I apologize for the length of this.

Several months ago, my GF and I decided to Drive my 86 740T with LH2.2 to dinner. I opened the passenger door only to realize that the car had filled with water (probably sunroof leak,) yeah, I'll never park downhill on my driveway again. Water ran up to the door on the passenger side, drivers side was relatively dry. Anyhow the Fuel ECU (541) had corroded (the board itself, not just the housing,) and the battery was run down to 1.6 or 3v.

First things first, we pushed it onto level ground, I pulled the battery, and the car sat for a few weeks while ECU came from eBay, and the battery was taken care of at work.

Battery goes back in, eBay ECU goes back in, car doesn't really run, timing seems off, determined that perhaps while the ECU was shorting in the water it fried the ICU

A friend sent me another ECU, ICU, and a powerstage, timing still seemed off. So replaced the belt, retimed 10 or so times on the belt +/-2 teeth and with the dizzy in basically every conceivable position, no joy. Ended up leaving the belt advanced one tooth as that was the closest I came to a properly running engine.

Randomly 2 weeks ago, I maybe had a couple beers and had the idea that "I am gonna go start that damn car." Got in the car, cranked it for 20 seconds or so (hadn't run in ~2 months) car started and revved nice. "Great" I think, maybe this weekend I'll take it for a test spin. Idled it two more nights, all great. Got in the car Saturday for a trip to wally world, and the car runs half decent until the fun gauge goes positive, then there is some pinging. I figure "ok, well, maybe it's because the belt is advanced a tooth." So the next free day I retime it back to what should be stock, and same problem, car won't idle no matter where I set the timing.

I've tried each Powerstage I have, each ICU, and Each ECU, as well as every combination of the three. On the current setup which should be correct, as I rev the motor with a timing light the timing bounces all over the place. So my question is:

What else could have been damaged by an errant voltage from a shorting ECU? Most of the sensors in the car seem passive and impervious to damage from say 13.8vdc, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Parts at my disposal:
ECU
ICU
PowerStage
1994 940 with auto trans (car has salvage title with 240 motor of unknown year[LH 3.1])

Car has LH2.2

Pic for posterity:
MwCeB

Car will not be crushed.

Also that it's an '86 says you might be having wiring problems, if everything's original. Integrity of all wires, especially those under the hood, needs to be thoroughly verified.

Back