• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'92 Volvo 240 brake line conversion

Barracuda_82

I've removed my front stuts from my car to convert them to coilovers and while removing most of the solid brake lines got damaged and need replacement.

Knowing myself I'll probably want to remove the struts more than once in the near future, so the OEM setup with the solid and flexible lines which connect on the strut is less than ideal. Having to drain, refill and bleed the front brakes every time I want to remove the struts sucks.

I found one solution for this problem on kaplhenke's website, but is quite expensive and takes too long to deliver (i live in europe). So I thought of another option:

What if I replace both the solid and the flex brake lines with one-piece braided hoses with AN connectors?

Has anyone done something similar before? Or is this a bad idea?

Also; can you tell me what threads/connectors are used on the brake callipers and at the end of the rubber brake hoses so I know which AN adapters I need to order?

What I did was use the stock lines and I put a slot in the bracket on the strut housing so you can remove the brake line and put it out of the way of strut work. I retain the lines in the bracket with clamps or even strong cable ties have worked. When working on the strut I lean it out of the wheel well supported by a jack stand.

You can run copper lines to rubber lines. You know you can remove the calipers from the strut right?

I just redid all of the lines on my rally car to add a bias valve and hydraulic ebrake

Use NiCopp 3/16 line with AN3 connections aka tube nuts (which also use a tube sleeve as well)

Fairly sure all the connections at the calipers and master are M10 X 1

For AN fittings, you must use a 37 degree flaring tool. Rigid has one for around $100 that works great

Last edited:
What I did was use the stock lines and I put a slot in the bracket on the strut housing so you can remove the brake line and put it out of the way of strut work. I retain the lines in the bracket with clamps or even strong cable ties have worked. When working on the strut I lean it out of the wheel well supported by a jack stand.

I think this is the best solution for me now, since I'm running out of time and I don't want my 1600km roadtrip to be the first trip with homemade brake lines... I need a bit more time to figure out and test a alternative setup.

You can run copper lines to rubber lines. You know you can remove the calipers from the strut right?

And you know that if one removes the callipers from the struts they are still attached to them because the copper/rubber line connection is actually through the brake line mount on the strut?

I just redid all of the lines on my rally car to add a bias valve and hydraulic ebrake

Use NiCopp 3/16 line with AN3 connections aka tube nuts (which also use a tube sleeve as well)

Fairly sure all the connections at the calipers and master are M10 X 1

For AN fittings, you must use a 37 degree flaring tool. Rigid has one for around $100 that works great

So you got rid of the copper lines on the brake callipers? Have you got any pics of this setup?

So you got rid of the copper lines on the brake callipers? Have you got any pics of this setup?

I'll get some pictures when I am done.

I ended up remaking the small copper line coming off of the caliper to join up with a 14'' AN3 braided brake hose in the front. I used a longer hose initially but in terms of the strut/wheel turning I felt more comfortable moving the hose attachment point further back by adding a hard line off the caliper.

As Patrick said, you still end up using a hard line when going to a long braided AN hose.
I tried it with a conversion fitting right off the caliper, and a 90deg hose end, but it wall pretty tight and a pain in the butt. Maybe you could get my with grinding the knuckle until there was enough clearance.

I keep the brake line brackets in stock, delivery would not be long getting to you

Are you serious??? :omg:

You know I am that customer that is waiting for weeks for a part of my coilover kit that you forgot to send? The one that is sending you all the mails and facebook messages you are not replying to? That customer who's holiday you are about to ruin because he can't finish his struts and has no way to put freaking wheels on the one car he has to go on holiday with?

You really have to come with something good to have me order something from you ever again... :roll:

Back