• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

In Over My Head "1979 242 GT"

Hope you succeed at what you want to accomplish for the GT...After having mine for two weeks, all I wanted to change from stock was the stance, thus the lowering...but other than that, everything is completely stock and functioning...
Good Luck!
Ron

Hope you succeed at what you want to accomplish for the GT...After having mine for two weeks, all I wanted to change from stock was the stance, thus the lowering...but other than that, everything is completely stock and functioning...
Good Luck!
Ron

I'm looking forward to seeing more updates on this. Mine isn't coming along so smoothly.

Thanks, once i go back to school this project is going to stop and the saving money will begin until I can start up on it again next year!

Good Luck!
Ron

Your car is a gem compared to my POS, but I still love this car and its getting some proper reconditioning!

I am stoked for summer to come, haha it can't come soon enough! I have ordered passenger side and driver side rocker panels and rear wheel well arches. I am also thinking about building a shed to house this thing while I restore it. I have my work cut out!

I've been plotting and planning all winter!

rust.png

rust2.png

Last edited:
Thanks, it is slow moving but headed in the right direction. I am hoping that the quality of the parts are as good as the OEM/ NOS rocker panel I bought two months ago. Does anyone have any experience with the these parts that were originally manufactured in Denmark by Klokkerholm.

here is the NOS peice I picked up before I cleaned the 30 years of dust off it!
0905112103.jpg

ahh ****ty cell pics

Last edited:
Speak of the devil, got the panels in the mail today!
DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

HolySh*t, I can't be leive it has been 8 months since I posted in this thread.

There are alot of nice cars on this board, though not a single one represents the vision I have for mine. We have the 240 inspiration thread, the 740 inspiration thread and a half of a dozen others, still none quit get it right. There are so many amazing 240's and such on this forum so I wanted 'for my self' at least to document them in this thread. Some of the inspiration I look at when I plot and plan for my car. Cosmetically it is a combination bits of pieces of different cars.

I'm going to have to repost a photoshopped collage of these so I don't drive you guys crazy with my reposts!
177345-2080714.jpg

Stance
+
s_4e5f8286db743.jpg

Crisp
+
NICE.jpg

+
large_213344-2017179.jpg

+
331.jpg

+
949430DF-orig.jpg

+
1F3EA990-orig.jpg

Well refined
+
holymotherofturbo3.jpg

+
Bilenferdig2.jpg

large_213344-2133319.jpg

+
large_213344-2133317.jpg

If only I didn't have to pay off half a decade worth of school loans!

Last edited:
Funny thing is that I have been wondering if this car still has it original engine, if not I might think about saving the +T parts

I believe the engine is original based on info I had gotten from the owner prior to me when I bought the car.

Glad to see your progress and continued enthusiasm for her. :)

I believe the engine is original based on info I had gotten from the owner prior to me when I bought the car.

Glad to see your progress and continued enthusiasm for her. :)

What kind of info, anything you have or had for that matter would help. I hadn't realized you posted in the thread, glad to see your still checking in on tbricks.

Great project. I lived in New England for a long time - that body's not at all too rusty!
Any idea if the springs are stock - I'm trying to track down the real specs for the 1979 GT front springs, or at least the actual wire diameter. Searching usually comes up with 1229337, but I think that number superceeded something else because it is a 'universal' HD front spring number.
FWIW my 92 front springs mic at about .547 (13.9 mm). The body plate references to pn 1330841 which is 13.5 mm per Volvo. There was enough rust on the strut retainers to make me believe it's never been apart when I replaced the inserts. Maybe there's 200 microns of paint and rust per side to make my measurement a believable number.

Ya know...I have some chrome titans that would ook so baller in this car ;)

Thanks guys for the feed back, I sure as will be pushing this project forward, haha 245turbo's I'm in it for the long haul. Unfortunately it's on the back burner right now, under a tarp collecting dust b/c I' waiting for my 245 to get fixed and am in the process of cleaning out my garage, painting it and also trying to get my brother and his john Deere and trailer kicked out of the garage so I have a place to continue working on the GT, haha and so he doesn't f*ck up my freshly painted floors and walls!

Northern lights I'll have to go out to the car and see about the springs, I'll let you know!

Ha, Captainwoosh! I wonder what titans would look like on it, I'd be super inclined to spend the money and have a one off set off wheels designed for the car, I really don't know if there are any wheels in existence that I think are perfect for the car, or at least what I invision!

You are very courageaous and/or talented to wanna tacle all that bodywork
I know I'm not so I decided to find a GT that was already nice and try to keep it that way :-P
Congrats on saving one!

Back