home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
cosbySweater
Board Member

Default t-56 behind a redblock

does any one on the forum here have any information about doing this swap? I.E. adaptor plate schematics and such, i saw a black 940 turbo for sale on here with a t 56 in it and i am wondering if anyone is in the middle of one of these swaps. if there isnt i would like to know how many people would be interested because i know someone who could make plates if there was enough interest.

thanks
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
Old 02-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

I've looked into it.

I got as far as speculate and wonder if it'd be too large, too heavy and have too tall of gears.

Check out Rockland Standard Gear for some good tranny info...

Here's an article on the T56...

http://www.rsgear.com/technical/articles/1994_06.pdf

I'm sure everyone will tell you anything's possible with the right amount of money, but as far as tranny swaps go, this is a rather straight forward option.

I learned, with my 2.5 hour introduction to the machine shop in Rohnert Park, T5's and T56's are very, very modular units. There's a huge aftermarket for them and they are THE hot rod transmission of choice. Endless arrangements as to where you can position the shifter, has a removable bell housing, easy to get aftermarket gears if the stock ratios aren't what you want and easy to get custom slip yolks for your custom driveshaft or make a custom input shaft. So really, its just left to your pocket book and a machinist's time to hack together a custom bell housing adapter.

In comparison to my attempt to fit a Honda S2000 6-speed tranny, I'd say that your choice of T56 will be rather straight forward.

For the custom pieces, bell housing adapter, driveshaft, and trans x-brace, you'd be into your swap, not much more than the T5 and Getrag swap members, but you won't be so lucky getting a transmission as cheap as they will. That's what it comes down to, and whether or not you think the stock T56 gear ratios are sufficient. Seems to have a really, really tall 1st, which may be okay with a 400+hp V8, but maybe not so much on a modestly boosted redblock.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
cosbySweater
Board Member

ive measured both of them and the t56 i have is actually shorter then the t5 out of a foxbody, not by much but it is shorter, i have a t56 with very low miles on it that i would like to use, the height and width are about 1 inch wiider and taller on the t56, i dont see any firewall clearence issues. and as far as the shifter is concerned it is a inch closer to the front of the case then the standard t-5, i mean if i have it, hell may as well use it.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvodouche69 View Post
ive measured both of them and the t56 i have is actually shorter then the t5 out of a foxbody, not by much but it is shorter, i have a t56 with very low miles on it that i would like to use, the height and width are about 1 inch wiider and taller on the t56, i dont see any firewall clearence issues. and as far as the shifter is concerned it is a inch closer to the front of the case then the standard t-5, i mean if i have it, hell may as well use it.
werd, you're halfway there.

A machine shop will have no trouble making a simple adapter to convert your redblock bell housing to the T56 4-bolt face. It'd be worth seeing how much your elected expert would charge to modify your trans brace to fit the T56, then cruise on over to Johnny Franklin's Drivetrain Shop in Santa Rosa and get em to fit a T56 splined yolk on your modified Volvo driveshaft, spin and balance it and you're golden.

Keep me posted...I need a new tranny and really, really want six gears! Just don't know if I want something that feels like agricultural equipment, every time I move the lever.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

Actually, the 2.95 first is not bad at all.....it daily drives just fine. Could be a little lower with my 3.73, so I may go 3.90 in the new rear, but you get to spend a little time in first when reving, rather than what seems like short shifting.

SHEETMETAL INTAKEhttp://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...etmetal+intake

THIS IS FORSALE V
Old 02-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #6
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaninwa View Post
Actually, the 2.95 first is not bad at all.....it daily drives just fine. Could be a little lower with my 3.73, so I may go 3.90 in the new rear, but you get to spend a little time in first when reving, rather than what seems like short shifting.
True dat!

My 1st in the M46 drives me insane. I'm in and I'm out...I like staying in just a lil longer than that.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #7
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

I will say that with my lightened flat flywheel tho it sucked....no off idle torque. So I swapped to an unlightened flat wheel and its much better.......and I honestly didnt notice any change in revs....but I do have a little different motor than most under wot conditions.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
cosbySweater
Board Member

I have heard that the t5 and t56 bell housings will interchange.does anyone know this to be "FACT"?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #9
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Quote:
I have heard that the t5 and t56 bell housings will interchange.does anyone know this to be "FACT"?
Every time I've investigated the matter, I've heard otherwise, each and every time.

I've heard, several times that a T5 and T56 bell housing will absolutely, positively, not interchange.

Better make a trip to the machine shop.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #10
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
you heard wrong, quit listening to that person

do a google image search, you'll see how different the bell housing is and that in no way can they interchange
Old 02-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #11
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Yay, I did MY homework!

...less the whole integrated front-cover/bell housing bit, but no biggie.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #12
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylesofsmyles View Post
Yay, I did MY homework!

...less the whole integrated front-cover/bell housing bit, but no biggie.
some neat ideas if you do a google image with "t56 bell" adapters and such shown as well...
Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #13
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

neat stuff indeed, thanks!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
cosbySweater
Board Member

That's what I thought, there is alot more bolts holding the bell housing on on the t56
Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

I don't see an M46 bellhousing with an adapter working... aren't m46 bellhousings like 2" deeper than a t56 BH?

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
J_Jones
Board Member

These aren't in front of me, just what I could find on the interwebs. Looks like the case to tip of input shaft length are close between the t56 and t5:

Here are some pics of a guy using a t5 lakewood bellhousing on a t56.

Links:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...08-clevor.html
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...structions.jpg

If he is using a t5 bellhousing on a t56, then we should be able to use an m46 bellhousing and adapter plate right? Since t5 bellhousing ~ m46 bellhousing + adapter
Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

If the input shafts are about the same length, maybe the hubcentric portion of the trannys are the same too between the T5 and T56, so then you could use one of JohnV's bellhousing, and add a little more material to bolt on the T56. Could be a valid option in a case like mine?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Jones View Post
These aren't in front of me, just what I could find on the interwebs. Looks like the case to tip of input shaft length are close between the t56 and t5:

Links:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...08-clevor.html
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...structions.jpg

If he is using a t5 bellhousing on a t56, then we should be able to use an m46 bellhousing and adapter plate right? Since t5 bellhousing ~ m46 bellhousing + adapter
from the pictures it does look possible, but nobody makes that particular adapter plate right now.....make one, prove it works, make more and sell them !!!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
J_Jones
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
from the pictures it does look possible, but nobody makes that particular adapter plate right now.....make one, prove it works, make more and sell them !!!
Heading to Afghanistan in ~5 days so I will leave that to you guys to figure out. Give me something else to spend my combat pay on when I get back.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Jones View Post
Heading to Afghanistan in ~5 days so I will leave that to you guys to figure out. Give me something else to spend my combat pay on when I get back.
Stay safe !!!!

I'm sure someone will figure something out if there is a market !!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

Looks like this is a good tranny. 450lb capacity, good gears with a 3.90 or 4.11. Its aftermarket gm, made to fit older picups, so it could have the standard 4 bolt pattern. I need to do more research.

1386-000-011 GM Aftermarket Any 6 450 No 122 Mechanical 26 27 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 0.80 0.62 3.28
Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

Looks like that part number is for a standard 4 bolt bellhousing.....so using one of Johns modified adapter, this T56 would be mint..

" http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56.cfm

It was designed as a direct replacement for the 3rdgen F-body T5 5-speed. The gearset was rated at 400lb-ft because of the smaller input shaft/countershaft interface and the wide-ratio gearing."
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #23
Karl Buchka
Board Member

Poik is doing this trans swap. He welded an adapter to a modified redblock bellhousing. I'm sure he'll chime in with info at some point.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #24
J_Jones
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Buchka View Post
Poik is doing this trans swap. He welded an adapter to a modified redblock bellhousing. I'm sure he'll chime in with info at some point.
Here is the link with pics to Poik's adapter. Check out post #41
http://turbobricks.com/forums/showth...hlight=adapter
Old 01-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #25
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by haltechsupra View Post
T56 with t5 bellhousing, sts flywheel, Nascar triple disk converted to street twin, bent shifter, turbobricks gm trans adapter. More details here.
Lol imagine searching up a decade-old thread to post a link to your ****ty YouTube channel to try and get some attention and views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
nipple farts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Space time farts
My Project
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855, 2004 V70R

Last edited by mikep; 01-13-2021 at 08:40 PM..
Closed Thread