• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jared's '79 5.3 244 Project: The Qwikbrik

I was going to say this too.
I'm ok with going deaf, going blind is a lot harder to manage.

It's not the deafness that scares me, its the tinnitus.

Jared,
Can't wait for another night ride through the mountains in your 244.
Still one of my scariest automotive experiences to date!:oogle:

Last edited:
Yeah, the quieter it is (and we get out to some really quiet areas at times) the more I notice it.

Two components - one is that I always seem to perceive a far off running engine, like someone is driving toward us from a fair distance away. But it never changes, no-one else can hear it, it's not real.
The other is a more conventional high pitched white noise. Which doesn't seem to interfere with hearing things, but it stands out more the quieter it is.

It'd not the deafness that scares me, its the tinnitus.

Can't have tinnitus if you're deaf :rofl:
But I agree- I get a ringing very rarely but I'm glad that's all there is considering the abuse I've given them

And it should actually handle this time :D

NGL, kyote's auto 244 handled obnoxiously well when we were trying to catch you guys on the loop drive. A little rubbing, but he wasn't really taking turns slowly.

Sam's 245 still ranks as the scariest car I rode in.

Not because of Sam, or the car, but that was the first time I had ridden in something with actual power (and tire rub, and wastegate noise) and that car isn't exactly set up for curves like that (it looked like a lot of effort to make it turn).

Starting to think about tires...currently the car has 17x10 rear wheels with 245/35-17s sorta stretched and the front is a 17x8.5 with a 215/35-17.

Eventually I'd like to get 275/40-17s on it all the way around, but wheels to do that aren't in the budget at the moment.

For the first set of tires, I'm thinking of doing 255/40-17s square. I can get RE71Rs in that size without breaking the bank, and they'll fit the wheels okay. They'll still be stretched a bit on the back, but not terribly so, and I should get a nice square sidewall on the front.

Well this showed up in the driveway this weekend:

VkkmwpSh.jpg

fJUCvqIh.jpg

dbsT2E5h.jpg

bWCKnuHh.jpg

oRyYcYbh.jpg

Temd9c8h.jpg

cQUREJxh.jpg

Warmed over, cam only 5.3 that made 300 to the tire. Driveshaft let go at a high speed and beat the hell out of the rear floor.

It's got a T56, Cadillac brakes, an 8.8, swap harness, and a bunch of other stuff I need on it.

I bought it with the intention of stripping it down to a shell and robbing all the good stuff for my '79. Looking at it now, I'm inclined to pull everything I need but the running motor, put some stock brakes and a stock diff in it, and just putting a GM auto in it.

I dunno. I'll beat on the floor with a large hammer for a bit until I lose interest and probably strip it anyway.

If you think you're going to sell these wheels, keep a brother in mind

Starting to think about tires...currently the car has 17x10 rear wheels with 245/35-17s sorta stretched and the front is a 17x8.5 with a 215/35-17.

Eventually I'd like to get 275/40-17s on it all the way around, but wheels to do that aren't in the budget at the moment.

For the first set of tires, I'm thinking of doing 255/40-17s square. I can get RE71Rs in that size without breaking the bank, and they'll fit the wheels okay. They'll still be stretched a bit on the back, but not terribly so, and I should get a nice square sidewall on the front.

Whats the offset on those wheels front and rear?

Whats the offset on those wheels front and rear?

Front 17x8.5 et30 with 1.25" (32mm) adapters 215/45R17 Sumitomo HTR ZIII
Rear 17x10 et20 no spacers/adapters 245/40R17 Sumitomo HTR ZIII (~et1 with a stock rear axle, 8.8 is 3/4" longer each side)

^From the build thread on the wagon.

NGL, kyote's auto 244 handled obnoxiously well when we were trying to catch you guys on the loop drive. A little rubbing, but he wasn't really taking turns slowly.

It's easy in a NA 240, you just leave the AW70 in 2nd gear, keep the gas pedal pinned, and don't ever brake :cool::oogle::omg:

Yes, the old "More Power" mobile! I was impressed many SE's ago when it was 16v and e85!
This time around I was mostly staying off the power until I had it nice and lined up for the next straight, and then press the 'catch up quickly' pedal down. brrAAAAAAAAp, on the brakes.

Front 17x8.5 et30 with 1.25" (32mm) adapters 215/45R17 Sumitomo HTR ZIII
Rear 17x10 et20 no spacers/adapters 245/40R17 Sumitomo HTR ZIII (~et1 with a stock rear axle, 8.8 is 3/4" longer each side)

^From the build thread on the wagon.

Jared thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I may have missed the link to the original wagon build thread if you had posted one.

This time around I was mostly staying off the power until I had it nice and lined up for the next straight, and then press the 'catch up quickly' pedal down. brrAAAAAAAAp, on the brakes.

Yeah, our drive was really great for that. The rain and fog made things extra fun.
It was fun watching the next straight coming and then waiting for the power.

I want LS 240 now.
Dammit.

Did some measuring for a driveshaft tonight, and cut half my shifter bump out of the floor to get better transmission clearance.

A one piece driveshaft would need to be 51-13/16? long, and given my gear ratios and planned tire size, critical speed on that steel shaft would be 110mph. Guess that means I?m looking at a 2-piece driveshaft (and that I got really lucky when I had this car up at 140mph in the Nevada desert years ago.)

Back