• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16 valve or 531...which should I go with

To the original poster: Keep it 8v. If you really have to ask it means you don't have the understanding to really make it happen.

With all respect dude, you don't know me or my abilities. I have done numerous HG jobs on both redblocks and whiteblocks. I've replaced numerous redblock motors. I've swapped transmissions on both redblocks and whiteblocks, including a manual conversion on my '98 S70 T5. I've also sucessfully +t'd my previous 240 and converted the ignition to EZK. I've rebuilt complete suspensions, braking systems, cooling systems, pcv systems, etc...etc...etc. Look at my sig and what I've done to my S70. All work was performed by me and a friend. I think I can handle this. It would just be a matter of whether it was worth it for my goals, which I now think it is not. Thanks for the vote of confidence though...:grrr:

So...who wants a 16V head???? :lol:

Quattro is from another planet. Different rules. The laws of physics are also completely different there. People run 12's with 36lb injectors all day long.

I think he's just a jive turkey.

I'm going 16v for the challenge, fun, and uniquness. 8v can make more than enough power to break **** downstream so there's plenty of $ to be spent on other upgrades first if you are just trying to make it fast.

Boost: don't take it the wrong way dude. I have seen lots of experienced posts from you and I'm sure you know how to wrench. I was suprised you were asking about such a topic.

In a 740 it's easier since6 more parts bolt right up like throttle cable brake booster and manifolds.

Sry on iPod now so posting sucks.

Boost: don't take it the wrong way dude. I have seen lots of experienced posts from you and I'm sure you know how to wrench. I was suprised you were asking about such a topic.

In a 740 it's easier since6 more parts bolt right up like throttle cable brake booster and manifolds.

Sry on iPod now so posting sucks.

It's cool dude. It's just that this is the first 16V head I've ever gotten my hands on, so I hadn't really considered the swap seriously up until this point. I know for a fact I could successfully pull it off. A few hours of thinking and reading have convinced me that there is no point with my current goals. I'm looking for a dead reliable 250-300ft/lbs, and I can do that on my 531 head fairly easily.

I was sort of in the same boat. I was just going to rebuild my blown up bottom end and stick the mildly ported (to match 37.5mm exhausts) 531 back on top. Then I was at the junkyard to get an intermediate shaft with dist drive gears, and there was a nice 740 GLE with an unbroken timing belt. Couldn't pass that up.

It's cool dude. It's just that this is the first 16V head I've ever gotten my hands on, so I hadn't really considered the swap seriously up until this point. I know for a fact I could successfully pull it off. A few hours of thinking and reading have convinced me that there is no point with my current goals. I'm looking for a dead reliable 250-300ft/lbs, and I can do that on my 531 head fairly easily.

Im pretty much shooting for the same numbers. On top of the research you have done, i would just like to add that 250-280whp and 250-300ft/lbs seems very obtainable with a 531 and supporting mods.

13.99 and faster RWD need a loop, or if you run slicks as per NHRA last time I checked. If you go there in your Volvo and tech in, they aren't going to look for a driveshaft loop, because they aren't going to think you will be in the 13s, so it's a moot point.

Read again....

13.99 and faster Running slicks need a loop

I have told them everytime my car is faster than 13.99 and they never check because I am not running slicks. I also asked them last Friday about it. Only if you run slicks is it a requirement at tracks that care about nhra specs

I agree, only with slicks. Regardless - he claims he'll run a 12.0 - so he should go run one once and get booted.

If he goes and runs one and gets booted and needs a loop I'll make him one and ship it free of charge.:lol:

I agree, only with slicks. Regardless - he claims he'll run a 12.0 - so he should go run one once and get booted.

If he goes and runs one and gets booted and needs a loop I'll make him one and ship it free of charge.:lol:
I just checked and you guys are right. I'm not sure if they changed it since the last time I went, but the last time I took my Camaro to the strip with street tires the tech said next time come back with a driveshaft loop or don't come back.

Back