• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bertone 262 mods

Six-cylinder PRV
The 260 models had a completely new 90-degree V6 B27E engine, sometimes called the "Douvrin".[8][20] This engine was developed jointly by Peugeot, Renault and Volvo in collaboration, and is therefore generally known as the "PRV engine". This engine was unusual at the time, being composed of many small parts in a modular design (as opposed to a monolithic engine block and head). The B27E engine has a displacement of 2,664 cc, an aluminium alloy block, and wet cylinder liners. This engine produces 140 bhp (100 kW) for both the 264DL and 264GL. In fuel-injected form, the B27F was introduced to the US in the 1976 260 series. The two-door 262 DL and GL sedans, the 264DL saloon (sedan) and the new 265DL estate (station wagon) were offered outside North America with the B27A engine. Almost identical to the fuel-injected V6 B27E engine, it has an SU carburettor instead of fuel injection, and therefore it produces a lower output of 125 PS (92 kW). The PRV engine (B27E in 1980, B28E 1981–1984) was also used in 244/245 GLT6 on several markets as an option until 1984.

Volvo increased engine displacement to 2.8 litres in 1980 with the introduction of the B28E and B28F, which were prone to top-end oiling troubles and premature camshaft wear. Some export markets also received the lower output carburetted B28A engine with 129 PS (95 kW) at 5,250 rpm, capable of running on lower-octane fuel.[21] Volvo also installed the B28 V6 in their new 760 model and the engine was used by numerous other manufacturers in the 1970s and 1980s. The updated B280 engine used in the final years of the 760 and 780 models did not suffer from the same premature camshaft wear as the earlier PRV engines. In North America, the 260 series was only available with a three-speed automatic transmission or a five-speed manual transmission with electronic overdrive and the engine produces 130 hp (97 kW).[22]

Last edited:
So an 1800 guy huh?

A little bit odd but now you want to become a full blown PRVert too?

:-P

I have soft spot in my heart for volvo bricks. My mom owned a 240 during my teens and
I still recall how I loved to drive it. Its part nostalgia I guess. Let's hope the 262 is restorable.

If I can continue to abuse of your knowledge, what code would a B28E 4 speed OD tranny be?

Thnx

The transmission codes haven't been integrated into the VINs since 140s.

Short of pulling the build sheet from Corporate Volvo :lol: there's no way to know.

The transmission codes haven't been integrated into the VINs since 140s.

Short of pulling the build sheet from Corporate Volvo :lol: there's no way to know.

You mean that the 260 (PRV)(B28E) 4 speed OD does not have a name/factory code ?

Thats funny how do you order parts for it? I need front oil seal for my whatchamacallit tranny. :lol: Its a 4Speed OD that?s all I have. :rofl:

Thats funny how do you order parts for it? I need front oil seal for my whatchamacallit tranny. :lol: Its a 4Speed OD that?s all I have. :rofl:

When you're smart enough to know that a 4 speed with OD is an M46.

But basically you don't because it's so obscure.

:-P

Pilot bearing,bell housing, flywheel, and clutch stuff is different though...

:volvo:

Last edited:
Something something top end oil starvation Peugeot Renault Volvo turd go BOOM!

Of course they fixed it on the later 6cyl engines but the damage to the 6cyl's reputation was done.

As a mechanic poetically put it to me when I was first looking at a 6 cylinder 240 "That engine is one of the greatest boat anchors ever designed"

I for one LOVE the 262 Bertone - but it would be a project for a drive train replacement and it would have to have an interior in good shape which is so rare.

As a mechanic poetically put it to me when I was first looking at a 6 cylinder 240 "That engine is one of the greatest boat anchors ever designed"

I for one LOVE the 262 Bertone - but it would be a project for a drive train replacement and it would have to have an interior in good shape which is so rare.

:nod:

The Italian bordello leather interior was sooo trendy back in the 80's.

My first Volvo was a 1980 264. I knew nothing about Volvos but was willing to learn. First time I went to a n mechanic for some service he said to me either you learn to make a lot of money or you learn to fix your own car. Back in day if you owned an import car garages would rake you over the coals!
OP, where you located?

Rumor was P R V all needed a engine for up coming vehicles. They all found rookie engineers fresh out of school. They were given some cheap wine rotten cheese stale bread and were locked in a rubber room so that’s how the P R V engine was created.

I wonder if John Holmes owned one. Eew....

No but David Bowie did.

Automotive

David Bowie's 1981 Volvo 262C Bertone Coupe sells for $216K at Swiss auction

R8e9f77b4ad2f04ae2515be8116c68aaf

Considering the engine was raced at LeMan, used on the Delorean and many other vehicles
there seems to be quite a bit of hate towards the PRV. Later 2.8 look pretty decent on paper.

All 240 people hate 260 engines. If you want 3 pedals you'll will really need to search. A few of these cars were 4 speed, very few.

I can remember only two. Black on black.still owned by a Federal Judge. Blue on black. We also sold a few 262 m46.

Get a late 760 (must be some still out there) & swap the B280, EMS & auto trans into the 262. B280 with LH2.2 was way more reliable than B27/28 & K-Jet

I killed my last 262 (took the nose off) to fix my crunched '85 245Ti :D

Last edited:
The AW70/71 overdrive transmission used from 1982 on will directly swap with the BW55 in your car. Unfortunately, the PRV V6 bell housing is required and it only was used for a few years up to 1984. That leaves about a 2 year window to find a PRV/AW70 bell housing together. Because of the very high failure rate of the PRV engines most of those opportunities are long gone.

The PRV issue was that there was inadaquate oil pressure, with oil that was far inferior to what is available today, on the cams which became round with miles. If you have a still working PRV then current magic synthenic oil will allow it to run for a long time.

I did that search and found a reported good AW70 that came with red fluid and slant 4 bell housing. Then searched for a PRV bell housing. The PRV bell housing will mate with the AW70/71 transmission case.

Info can be found on this in this thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=293078

JohnLane would be happy to help you turbo the PRV if you want.

The most popular swap today is an LSx. I did a Ford 302 into a 245 that is much more than adequate for most driving needs.

Both the engine swap and the Bertone restoration linked below.

I also know where there are two complete 262c Bertone interiors that might be for sale.

Back