• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

Thanks for all the feedback, now I need to stop buying junk parts cars and focus my energy back on this one :lol:

I finally have my '91 244 daily driver back in optimal condition, replaced the broken head pipe after work today, among a few other things. I need to start burying myself in the 242 again. Not much in the way of progress, although my vanity plates arrived. Gotta love Vermont, you can still get real words!

242-244-garage.jpg

Tiny bit of progress in the last couple days after work. Took advantage of the balmy 40 degree temperatures and spent some time in the garage making the turbo oil return line. I used -10 AN hose and two 45 degree Earl's Swivel Seal hose ends.

I marked these fittings up a bit with my vice :oops: so I will be more careful when I plumb the remainder of the oil cooler/filter relocation system. What's great about this Captain Bondo header is that the oil return is so direct and short - I only used 10.5" of braided hose here.

242-oil-return.jpg

Also, a pic of the wastegate dump tube from down under:

242-dumptube-1.jpg

Intercooler and oil cooler stacked. I'm working on fabricating brackets for both and spending $$ on AN fittings :)

242-front-coolers.jpg

Last edited:
Love the car, man.

Gotta say, however, woulda kept the B21 if I were you...they're better in just about every way than B230s (except CR and displacement. CR is fixed by installing NA flat-tops, and is 0.2L *really* going to make much of a difference? C'mon now...)

Flame away if you wish.

Made some IC brackets yesterday afternoon. I welded them with my Hobart Handler 140. The brackets don't do much load bearing, as the IC inlet/outlet pipes sit on the lower radiator support and take care of that. They really just function to locate the IC upright.

Hopefully I'll have some more time today to work on it, although I'm supposed to help a friend at work put brakes in his 244. More updates soon.

242-IC-bracket.jpg

lol. 99.9% of "custom" intercooler mounting brackets i see on here are bailing wire or wire tape with some drywall screws, your mount looks to be the shiz-nito-snip-snap-snap
good work man

Very nice! I'll be watching this closely. What are you doing for the interior?

Also, are you keeping the wastegate dump open like that?

lol. 99.9% of "custom" intercooler mounting brackets i see on here are bailing wire or wire tape with some drywall screws, your mount looks to be the shiz-nito-snip-snap-snap
good work man

big +1 :)
often very messy the "custom" IC installs. this one looks great! :nod:
the rest is looking great too, great attention to detail. very nice manifold, a work of art!

Very nice! I'll be watching this closely. What are you doing for the interior?

Also, are you keeping the wastegate dump open like that?

Yep, leaving the WG dump open for now. If it's too raucous/fumey I can reroute it, or plumb it into the down pipe.

For the interior I have a mostly complete 242 black interior, including an uncracked dash, nice carpeting and most of the plastic bits. I actually got it for free off Craigslist a few years ago. It was one of those "an old tenant left a bunch of junk Volvo parts in my basement - come clean them out" type deals.

I would like to do something different for the front seats without going the Sparco/Corbeau/etc route. I'm pretty sure the Audi RS4 has the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced, but that's probably dreaming :lol:. My father builds street rods and is the expert in making seat adaptor brackets. So I'll come up with something cool.

Last night I fabricated a small bracket to mount the RX-7 oil cooler, using my little MIG. Once I get it cleaned up and painted I'll post pics. Also, I spent a few hours yesterday using a friend's TIG welder for the first time, and it pretty much rocks the house. If I get decent at it, maybe I'll re-do all the brackets in aluminum later on. It was hard to go back to a 110v MIG after feeling the smoothness/control of a TIG.

Yep, leaving the WG dump open for now. If it's too raucous/fumey I can reroute it, or plumb it into the down pipe.

Leave it open dump!!! But you might wanna lengthen it a little bit more. Re-circulating the DT will hinder power slightly if I'm not mistaken.

For the interior I have a mostly complete 242 black interior, including an uncracked dash, nice carpeting and most of the plastic bits. I actually got it for free off Craigslist a few years ago. It was one of those "an old tenant left a bunch of junk Volvo parts in my basement - come clean them out" type deals.
Lemme know if you want a custom dashboard made to your specs buddy. I gots me a nice 242 to mold it from in the backyard with half of the dashboard already ripped out of it.
Volvo242002.jpg

:oogle::nod:

Took off from work early today and put my RSI Stage II motor mounts in. Also did heater hoses, thermostat, new radiator and a few other bits and pieces. It's 50 degrees here right now, but tomorrow is a high of 25 F :grrr:

Slow but steady...

Back