• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

5 bar oil pressure gauge wiring

VB242

I.M. Weasel
I know there was just a thread about this but I can't find it. I have power going to the gauge, when I hook up the one terminal on the sender the gauge jumps a little then sits on 0 psi. If I put it on the other terminal it pegs out below 0, could I have the power reversed? I got the gauge and sender from pick and pull so I don't know if the wiring is factory. I have + going to blue/ red wire and - to the black wire and green coming from the gauge terminal.

OE 52mm gauge?
Looking at the back of the gauge:
-12v to the bottom spade terminal
-ground to the side spade terminal
-sender connection to the top spade terminal

How is your sender connected at the engine? Does it have a good ground to the block (no sealant on threads)?

Also FWIW, the 5 bar gauge I have needs a tap or two with my finger to "wake up" when the car is first started.

They also make different sensors for different ranges, make sure you got the right PN

I got both parts from a junkyard car, it's definitely a gauge sending unit, it's got the G and W terminals. No chance to mess with it today had to get a free warranty battery from Walmart for the 780 and also put some a/c repair in.

Wiring appears correct, the letter markings on the sender are hidden by the heater pipe. When I put it on one terminal i get 0psi when I put it on the other I get negative psi. Maybe it didn't work for the junkyard car either. When I put it to KP2 the needle jumps up to 0 from resting.

They also make different sensors for different ranges, make sure you got the right PN

I know they have a 3 bar, 5 bar (80psi-ish), and a 100psi one. With a couple versions of each with different resistance ranges.

All of them should though produce some activity on the gauge even if the gauge/sender combination is wrong.

Have you got some resistors on hand to test the gauge with? The sender is really just a variable resistor between the gauge and ground (the engine).

G should be to the gauge (sending unit portion) and W should be for the warning light (switch). I'm sure you could find a chart of resistance values vs pressure and check between G and ground, if its within spec its probably the gauge.

You need to remove the sender and check the part number. It might have the wrong sender.

Some of the 2 terminal VDO senders have a floating ground. They look like the sender for a gauge and a light but one terminal is for ground, not a light.

You need to remove the sender and check the part number. It might have the wrong sender.

Some of the 2 terminal VDO senders have a floating ground. They look like the sender for a gauge and a light but one terminal is for ground, not a light.

Couldn't you still check for ground engine off/on at W to see if it's for a warning light or ground input?

Although I wouldn't think a floating ground sending unit would be able to peg the gauge with only one connection

Last edited:
OP says he can't read the letters on the terminals but the gauge sits at 0 connected one way and it pegs below 0 when switched to the other terminal.

it's got the G and W terminals.

the letter markings on the sender are hidden by the heater pipe.

Ah I see, I only read the flip, not the flop.

Id'e still expect (correct me if I'm wrong, working off the diagram never used one) that a floating ground sending unit wouldn't move the gauge at all without a ground hookup as it's just an open circuit without it.

I think you're right but electricity will do weird things when it can't find a path to ground.

I think the sender may be faulty. It shouldn't be too hard to test with a DVOM.

Last edited:
John, I still have the VDO gauge and sender I got from you. If you need them I will mail.

G should be to the gauge (sending unit portion) and W should be for the warning light (switch). I'm sure you could find a chart of resistance values vs pressure and check between G and ground, if its within spec its probably the gauge.

I did that with this one, used an air pressure regulator to apply pressure, measured resistance.
Not sure I still have it but it was easy to do.

Back