• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Air filters for SU carbs

spock345

Hopefully my last question regarding SU caburetors. Any recommendations on air filters for SU HS6 2 bolt carbs or should I just pick up some stock ones?

Austin Healey 3000's used HD6 carbs, check with Moss Motors to see what they offer.

I think HD6's have different hole spacing. I found some inexpensive HS6 filters ($10 a piece) that are made for a Triumph TR4A.

I am mostly trying find something that won't end up being a restriction later on and won't be stupidly loud.

Is there anything stopping me from fitting 3 bolt filters to a 2 bolt carb and plugging the extra holes? That would let me get the little hose nipple for the oil filler cap.

As I posted above check out the filters that Moss motors offers for the H series carbs, I have been working on and restoring Austin Healey's since 1974.

If you are going to draw a bit more air with more power. Go with the three bolt carb filters as you thought about. They are taller and you can buy some aftermarket stock replacements. Try VP autoparts they should have them.

I can make you 2 velocity stubby stacks that use K&N air filters, {made them for the race cars that I maintained} but they are not cheep!

I'll probably run some paper 3 bolt filters or whatever fits with equal surface area from Moss Motors. Although those Pierce Manifold foam filters have holes I can use for the oil filler cap hose, which is nice.

Finding a round filter would also let me just cut out the paper when it is eventually clogged with dirt and find a replacement insert.

I am definitely going to need something that flows better than the 2 bolt filters when all is said and done.

Back