• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mazda RX7 Series II turbo caliper adaptors for Volvo 240

ashvolvo

2 > 7
Mazda RX7 turbo II caliper adaptors for 240 and Strut tube mounted swaybar link

Our Mazda RX7 caliper conversion has been in the works for some time. We've had the calipers since late last year, and have been taking our time with it due to other commitments and projects.

The calipers have been rebuilt, We've sandblasted a pair of strut tubes and modified them for a new front swaybar link setup we're also working on, we've made a set of ducted backing plates to suit the mazda calipers and have recently finished the adaptor brackets.

Simon (RBOVLOV242) in South Australia is also doing the same conversion for his Nissan powered 242 project.
He had a set of adaptor brackets made and was kind enough to send them to us so we could copy them and we worked on ducted backing plates to suit.

The conversion uses a modifed 240 backing plate, a 11.25" dia (22mm thick) rotor from a 740T (or 940 if you're in the US. Our 940s have 27.5mm thick, 11" dia rotors), Mazda RX7 turbo II (5 stud wheels) caliper, and the adaptor plate.

mazbrak1.jpg

These will be for sale shortly from our website.
I'll post pics soon of a completed strut assembly and more when its fitted in the car.

Last edited:

AWESOME!!

I've wanted to do this conversion for a while but havent had the time to deal with making stuff. Any ideas on price, and will you ship to the US?

Wow. this is great news! any idea of the price for the adapters?

Thanks.

Mike

RX-7 Calipers---GREAT! They are true 4 Pot type, aluminum and have a fairly large pad. I have some in my collection ready to go on the 262c.

Iguess you have to plug the second brake line to each from wheel.

//dm
--------------------
262c SRIP

dave milliron said:
RX-7 Calipers---GREAT! They are true 4 Pot type, aluminum and have a fairly large pad. I have some in my collection ready to go on the 262c.
Yes, well, the 240 already has 4 piston front, and the pad size is nearly the same. But the aluminum part...that's what I like.

The RX7 uses 15x6 wheels over these calipers.

Kevin Hawk.... said Virgos fit, and MSW's with skinny spacers fit. YMMV

jpbturbo said:
I thought the 240 front calipers were a 2 piston design?

//Josh, who needs to learn more about brakes.

eh, i mean really, all they do is slow you down....

There's some fantastic information on this conversion from Kevin Hawkinson and John V in the 'Performance and Suspension' forum. Lots of interesting comments and thoughts and well as the why and why nots of it all. Well worth reading.

Caliper weight is a significant adavantage, the Mazda caliper is aluminium as opposed to the cast iron 240 caliper. The Mazda caliper is approx 1/3 larger in physical size and IIRC 9lbs lighter.
Pad surface area is similar with the mazda being bigger, part of the advantage comes in larger discs.

Of course this isnt to take away from actually how good standard 240 calipers are - combined with decent pads, decent fluid and everything in good working order, the standard 240 front brake arrangement is very good. Some people do want something better than this.

Others head down the S60R caliper and disc avenue, which is a very nice conversion. 17" wheels are a must have though, and for some people they are price-prohibitive. Dougs old 242 and Dave Bartons 245 are brilliant and beautiful examples of this setup.

Most 15" wheels should clear this setup fine, but there will be some exceptions. Virgos shouldnt be a problem though.
The second line to each wheel should be plugged at the distribution block.

Price is $129.00 per pair, shipping will be minimal due to being able to package them so small and them not being too heavy. More details will be available soon via our website.

EDIT: To clarify, price is $129.00 AUD

Last edited:
Also remember, for performance applications, pads for RX-7 calipers are cheaper and more widely available, and there is a much larger selection.

mAydAy said:
Also remember, for performance applications, pads for RX-7 calipers are cheaper and more widely available, and there is a much larger selection.

I have never had a problem finding good pads for 240 calipers, Alot of motorsports guys upgrade to volvo 240 calipers......

blkaplan said:
I have never had a problem finding good pads for 240 calipers, Alot of motorsports guys upgrade to volvo 240 calipers......

They are a direct bolt-on for my BMW 2002.

Nick said:
What exactly will we be getting for 129$? Just the brackets?

just the brackets??? This is a fantastic price for these units. Machine time is not cheap, not to mention he has to buy the aluminum.

Unregistered said:
just the brackets??? This is a fantastic price for these units. Machine time is not cheap, not to mention he has to buy the aluminum.
I was just trying to clarify, dont flip out man. I know what materials and workmanship cost, and this is a good value considering the 129 is in aussie dollars. I guess I should rephrase: are there any other specific parts required that come in the kit?

Back