• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Update on S60R brakes *holy ****!*

gecko said:
well that brings up an interesting question.....how much space do you have between the caliper and spoke of the rim? granted you have this on a 242.....but its starting to look like polaris rims or any deep dish rims for that matter wouldn't clear the calipers if i ever get around to putting on R brakes.

Exact dimensions are difficult, but essentially I think you need about 1 inch clearance between the original brakes and wheels in order to clear these brakes since the R brakes will be more outboard (unless of course you go with custom hats and redesign the brackets). Polaris are very tight to the original brakes, so they will not work without adding spacers. Most shallow dish front drive type wheels will work, such as those Doug put on (with spacers of course). So it means your wheel choices will be limited with this setup.
Dave B.

You guys haven't been bending control arms?
With big brakes I bent control arms such that the tires rubbed the inner fender the first time I applied them hard.
DO box your control arms. One flat plate across the bottom is enough.
Good for you Doug!!
JL.

thanks doug and dave, that's exactly what i figured......hmmmm guess its time to go pick up some of those c70 5 spokes

I may be getting the "do a search" reply here, but is this only workable on the 200s? Any idea of 700 application? Or am I gonna have to get 200 series spindles?

Mach375 said:
I may be getting the "do a search" reply here, but is this only workable on the 200s? Any idea of 700 application? Or am I gonna have to get 200 series spindles?

You might have trouble finding the answer to that in a search. I do NOT believe you can use 700 strut tubes with this conversion as is. Todd Kijowski (he is on this board... search for username Turbo16psi) designed the brackets to fit 200 series strut tubes. I know that he then fitted the R setup with 200 strut tubes to his 940 Turbo (although I'm not sure what was required to fit them). So I would say you can do probably do it the same way, but you should talk with Todd.
Dave B.

JohnLane said:
You guys haven't been bending control arms?
With big brakes I bent control arms such that the tires rubbed the inner fender the first time I applied them hard.
DO box your control arms. One flat plate across the bottom is enough.
Good for you Doug!!
JL.

Ok.... This doesn't mean I'm not going to box mine (I am, because I do value safety), but I gotta think you were either running a very soft compound or somehow you got way more grip (whatever surface you were driving on) than a normal street tire on asphalt can hold under most circumstances. People have been braking hard in 240's to the point of lock-up for too many years (not to mention ABS) and I haven't heard of people bending control arms before, let alone on the first application with good brakes (breaking a rusty one doesn't count... somone mentioned that once). What part actually bends? Which direction?
Dave B.

dbarton said:
You might have trouble finding the answer to that in a search. I do NOT believe you can use 700 strut tubes with this conversion as is. Todd Kijowski (he is on this board... search for username Turbo16psi) designed the brackets to fit 200 series strut tubes. I know that he then fitted the R setup with 200 strut tubes to his 940 Turbo (although I'm not sure what was required to fit them). So I would say you can do probably do it the same way, but you should talk with Todd.
Dave B.

But also Todd doesn't like anything that isn't bolt on. Thats why he is selling his volvo for a bmw. Second Todd did not design the brackets his cousin or friend helped him with alot of the design work. I'm sure R brakes will fit on 700/900 struts with a little work!

Boosted2003 said:
But also Todd doesn't like anything that isn't bolt on. Thats why he is selling his volvo for a bmw. Second Todd did not design the brackets his cousin or friend helped him with alot of the design work. I'm sure R brakes will fit on 700/900 struts with a little work!

are you still thinkin about making brackets for the 700/900? let me know if you are

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
Actually Travis' is Todd's brother.

I've seen whats involved in making them work for a 740, it takes ALOT of work compared to a 240, including some milling off the back side of the caliper.

Or you could use spacer before the rotor to make it stick out father. Trust me. Todd is not the best example of boy wonder when it comes to volvos.

Just use 1" adapters with the Polaris on the front. Should clear the brakes, if there's any chance that they will. Use wider tires on the back (which will add rear grip) to offset the wider front track (which will add front grip), so it should all equal out, right?

Boosted2003 said:
Or you could use spacer before the rotor to make it stick out father. Trust me. Todd is not the best example of boy wonder when it comes to volvos.

Boosted, take your bickerfests somewhere else. I have my own gripes with Todd before, but I dealt SOLEY with travis and am one happy caliper.

I told you whats involved with doing it for a 7 series, I can see why todd went 240.

Mike, thats what I figured. I have to talk to Noah about his polaris setup. AFAIK hes ONLY running spacers in the rears, I think running spacers in the front on polaris would give... well a "dayton" effect ;-)

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
Boosted, take your bickerfests somewhere else. I have my own gripes with Todd before, but I dealt SOLEY with travis and am one happy caliper.

I told you whats involved with doing it for a 7 series, I can see why todd went 240.

Mike, thats what I figured. I have to talk to Noah about his polaris setup. AFAIK hes ONLY running spacers in the rears, I think running spacers in the front on polaris would give... well a "dayton" effect ;-)

can someone fill me in on what IS involved for a 700 or maybe get me in touch with someone who has done the R brakes using stock 700 strut tubes?

Mach375 said:
look for the fellow who posts here under the name "turbo 16psi". He has had R brakes on his 945T for almost a year now. I think he has some parts connection, and like 19x9 axis alloy wheels.
He has a thread called "r brakes on my 900" in showroom or for sale that describes it in more detail.
I will leave you to search more...

gecko said:
can someone fill me in on what IS involved for a 700 or maybe get me in touch with someone who has done the R brakes using stock 700 strut tubes?

It can be done. It is involved, I know Dan in Santa Rosa is working on it (I have one of his calipers atm). Basicly its one very involved bracket and you have to mill off two rings on the back of the caliper (barely noticable) to clear the 740 struts.

what username does he use on the board so i can get in touch with him and get some details?

Back