• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What do you think this 144 is worth?

saffron98

Thanks for looking,

A local shop is selling a '69 144 and im toying with the thought of picking it up but feel the owner may be off a bit on his asking price. Details that I have below:

Has o/d trans swapped in
supposedly runs well
had rust repair in quarters and trunk. Body looks pretty good with exception of a few bubbles on passenger rear door.
FWD meteor wheels, tires shot
missing trim
interior ok but tops of rear seat and ps seat ripped.
rotors need cut from sitting
last inspected in 02/03.

Owner is asking $2500 obo, don't want to lowball him but what do you guys think is a fair value for this car?

thanks,

Matt

volvo%202.JPG

given its relative condition and your location, id do 2 to 25 easy. theres gotta be...well... none of those within five hundered miles of you.

bloody wheels alone are worth that new, anyway.

In Cali it's probably run around $1500 tops. East coast, with things already repaired and the body somewhat solid, that probably ain't a bad price. Maybe see if he can go $2k and call it good?

Hooray for rust-free cali cars!

Asking price could be fair, IMO. I'd of course have to see it first though, give it a good look over...

cost of title transfer and a free oil change... maybe a 500-1000 around here, if someone would want it. all(3) have been crushed at yard as of late. the only dude around that was into the 144's and such, moved a while back, so the yard has no reason to keep any around. watch for rod ejection. nice looking car though, cb fun.

144 checkout

They rust like crazy and with some bondo that probably means you are looking at 10% of the bondo. I'd get one of those bondo thickness testers to get an idea of how bad or good it's been done. The relative rarity of those on the East Coast does tend to drive the prices higher of just about any somewhat presentable car that's in the area. The ripped upholstery is going to be expensive to repair properly.

they are great cars and dont rust much over here...but im not in the usa.
if the car was in aust $2,500 au would be a cheap price,it looks pretty good apart from the wheels

FWIW, My '76 244 was listed at $2500 with less than 100k. It has/had NO rust to speak of and there was nothing missing and no ripped anything. I offered [the original owner] $1200 and took it home for $1600 I think.

I can't imagine a 144 would be much different, and with any signs of rust, I'd check it REALLY carefully. As much as we want to believe otherwise, old 4dr Volvos don't just fly off dealer lots, so I'd be likely to offer $800-1000 and see what happens. If was totally rust free and everything was there, it'd be a different story. Especially in NH.

If you really want it though, be prepared to pay what he is asking. It isn't like we get our choice of these like those annoying west coast guys do. :-P

Back