• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B21FT Accumulator replacement variants

the_hairy_baboon

My 1983 245 Turbo has a leak out the backside screw on the accumulator. From what I gather, that's the diaphragm leaking and there's no repair to be done on it, just replace. (I am assuming that this leak would happen even if I wasn't running just the fuel pumps by jumping fuses but actually had the engine idling)

Nominally I understand the part number to be Volvo 1269714 (Bosch 0438170034).

There's a different version that I have seen people make work 0438170007.

I can also find a version for earlier versions of the 245 (non-turbo) 0438170001.

Unfortunately, no-one lists the connector types/thread sizes for any of these (why isn't life like mcmaster carr catalog). Therefore short of paying $250+ for the Volvo or Bosch original part #s, it's unclear what type of changes I would need to make in order to use a variation that's maybe half as expensive. I've seen comments about using Mercedes Benz accumulator but needing different fittings - if the fittings needed were easily listed then I could consider alternatives like that.

So what do people know about the replacements and downsides to not using the super specific accumulator type?

Iirc the turbo one just doesn’t have a vent. I had issues with my accumulator on my non turbo and just ran the fuel hose from the pump and clamped it directly to the hardline fitting underneath the car. Haven’t had new any issues without it so far

I can get you a new 1, but it'll cost you $406.00 plus shipping and I can have it shipped the next day.

If you have the time and the money, here's a new 1 on ebay for over a $100.00 cheaper. FYI, I bought some Volvo parts from this ebayer who is in Latvia back in October and I got what I ordered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164534308077?hash=item264f024ced:g:3PIAAOSwSE9gBuF5&vxp=mtr
Thank you for the link, but it was more a question of do I need to spend $200+ or can I get the ~$120 ones because they actually fit/work the same. Somewhat an intellectual exercise than a necessity.

I found it for sale online here https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/774_2...0CzdKFfhxBVTuM1vCe3s79VhGjhHIjpAaAls_EALw_wcB

It's the 001 version which should interchange. The picture looks correct with the screw instead of a vent port.
"should" is all I can find anywhere, but no-one seems to know (even Bosch, from what I can find online) what the differences are in functionality / fittings. I've seen 034 and 007 can be interchanged on one forum, but you have to add the pipe. The 001 looks like it should go on, but clearly it's different, but I can't figure out why

001 is for '82 NA cars. '81 turbos use a 404 and '82-'84 turbos use a 034.
Yup, can confirm that's what Bosch says here: https://www.bosch-classic.com/en/services/downloads/ in the gasoline systems mini catalogues for accumulators. But they don't say what's different or even explain what the differences mean for functionality (even if you have to change fittings, but they also don't say what the fittings sizes are). And no explanation of whether you can block the nipple if you have it or whether it needs to go to the 3rd port on the sender. OR if you can do anything with the screw on the back to stop a leak from there....

I'm used to technical drawings and datasheets, but there's nothing out there on these things, just word of mouth/anecdotes. And that's what bugs me more than the cost.

The basic differences are the size which gives you greater damping on the fuel system pulses from the pump and the volume of gas reserve pressure it provides. Some cars back in the day like the Porsche 924 actually had too small of an accumulator and Porsche would have you add a second one to the system to help with hot starting.

One just popped up FS for $145 in the Volvo Parts/Cars For Sale/Wanted Group on facespace, by Jesse T Bechtold.

Well, Bosch got back to me with a technical document

If my interpretation is correct, then 034 is like a 033 which is like a 017 (which is then like 016 which is like 006.... it's confusing). But from pictures online the descriptions don't match the fittings, visually 034 looks like 007 minus the vent (and potentially volume change). I did respond to Bosch classic's email with the doc, hope to have more info for you all soon.

Well, Bosch got back to me with a technical document

If my interpretation is correct, then 034 is like a 033 which is like a 017 (which is then like 016 which is like 006.... it's confusing). But from pictures online the descriptions don't match the fittings, visually 034 looks like 007 minus the vent (and potentially volume change). I did respond to Bosch classic's email with the doc, hope to have more info for you all soon.

Turns out I was wrong. 034 suffix is basically 001 but with the changes as stated (keeps both inlet and outlet but gets rid of the vent line)

For size differences, from this post and a bit of referencing, Nel621's '81 262c has a 019 suffix which is 40cm3 rather than 20cm3 of most others. Hence the 007 replacement at 20cm3 was a bit small but otherwise had the correct threads, although it appears to contradict the statement about having a leakage tube (007 is 'mit' [with] while 019 is 'ohne' [without]).

so basically, at pelican parts rates and the fact that I don't want to have to jury rig connections (not enough scrap parts on hand to fab something), buying a 034 (assuming when I pull it the part number is that) will be the easier option.

Ok, I went ahead and bought a 040 style accumulator to replace the 034 version that was in the vehicle but leaking. physical size matches correctly (40cm3 style). Threaded fasteners match correctly. (Center fastener on accumulator is 14 or 15mm, the fuel line leading out is a 17. For the inlet from fuel pump, the short jumper has a 19mm and the accumulator side is 17 IIRC from 1 hour ago). The bolt on the clamp is a 10mm. the 3 bolts holding the tray to the underbody are 12mm.

Steps
  1. Plastic hose clamp (like block flow from an artery) the inlet line to the main fuel pump and the outlet from the accumulator.
  2. If you don't want to risk destroying the fuel hose clamp on the line going to the fuel pump, you can drop the tray by removing the 3 main 12mm bolts it'll dangle by the inlet and outlet lines and electrical cable.
  3. 14/15mm wrench on the accumulator center nut, 17mm on the nut on the fuel line. Hit with WD-40 or similar if needed, break free with a drip tray below.
  4. Similarly, with 17 and 19mm (accumulator, hose respectively) remove the other connection
  5. With a 10mm socket and some oil as needed, unscrew the clamp. Once the bolt is close to leaving the nut, wiggle accumulator/clamp around to get them off the mount.
  6. When putting the new accumulator in, slide the clamp around it, then pull it over the mount. There's a slot in the clamp that lines with the mount so once tight it doesn't rotate or slide off, the accumulator has two bumps on the body to stop it sliding off the clamp.
  7. connect pipes as before, reattach tray to body.

I will note that I haven't taken it into mountains or done extensive hot restarts with it since swapping, but given Bosch doesn't show much spec difference then I don't expect a problem, and I don't have to modify the clamp or pipes at all to do the swap.

Back