• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

If I dont ask-I will- turbo question

90volvo

-90 volvo 240
-b230ft low miles on rebuild H beam rods
-530 head larger valves and ported. Rsi st 3 cam
-3 inch ex
-b21 intake with custom dual plenum. 65mm throttle body
-treadstone ic with 2.5 piping
-1000cc idi injectors
-90 plus manifold with up pipe, any t3 turbo will bolt on
-external wastegate 38mm
-megasquirt 2, yes I can tune it for the most part.
-e85 I test it and typically E78
-4L60E with full manual v.b. and 3000 stall lock up
-3.73 gears with posi
-25 inch tall tires, plan run drag radials

I was running a T3T4 63AR 57trim. Ran pretty well with it, laid down some good 2nd marks but I let it go to a friend that needed it. Cause I knew probably a better option for me out there to get down the 1/4 mile faster.

-Here is some of my thoughts an options. The options are based off of what I have laying around or have budget friendly connection to acquire the turbo.
1.Go back with the T3/T4 63ar 57trim, yes, probably an ebay but I buy a good rebuild kit for it and put good parts in it.
2. Hy35 holset 9cm
3. Gt3076 63ar

I'm leaning toward the hy35. The trans be fine, made friends with an auto trans guy. I know stall little low, but not pulling trans to try another conv. My back is getting tired of transmissions. lol

Last not least, I have alot of respect for you guys that have figured this stuff out. I know most you were probably first ones to experiment with chips, ex., intakes, turbos. I thank you for you knowledge beforehand. What's my goals, mid 12 run? No, I don't want to pick parts up and want the engine to live for season or more. Id like to keep boost below 25lbs. Thanks and hope all this makes sense. Want this to be my last turbo go around for a while. Ty

Honestly, I really don't like the Holset route for a daily. They are just laggy, even the HE341 I had. The GT2871 and moreso GTX2867 I have now are so much more friendly for a daily, but they still have more than enough to play. Trying to get out of the hole on the HE341 was a dog, where the 2871 (haven't run the 2867 yet) I have to baby to keep from blowing the tires loose while on the converter. I haven't run the T3/T4 route.

I’ve got a holset he351 sitting in the closet. Bought it from someone off the board. I never ran it but it’s in great shape. Um $400 or something if you want it? Let me know.

If you had to pick from those three I'd go gt3076... the holset is pretty slow spooling...

IMHO, if you're down for a bit o-fabricating, pick up an evo 8 16g6 and fabricate a manifold ala Beezleboss https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=363693 or roll your own.

The turbo spools fast and has big power potential.... the 3000 stall on your 4l60 should also allow you to brake boost and build at least 7-11 psi off the line... makes a huge difference in 60 foot times.

I think it would be the most fun turbo with your current set of parts.

YMMV.

Back