• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 NA Exhaust thoughts

bkaushansky

Looking for input from anyone that has tried this configuration.

245 naturally aspirated, B cam.

Looking to cut the exhaust just after twin tube junction from header, right before catalyst. Then replace with 2.5” flex joint followed by largest straight through silencer that fits. Next section would rotate the pipe 45 degree to dump exhaust just in front of rear wheel on passenger side.

Thoughts? I don’t want to be unbearably loud. At some point, will convert to +T and maintain 2.5” exhaust from turbo manifold.

Thanks.
B.

A cat and two straight through mufflers is fine. You can also wait to do your turbo and just get a JT Tuning system.

whats with people and wanting cats in the exhaust? cut mine out and sold it. i love when people in convertibles get annoyed at me

whats with people and wanting cats in the exhaust? cut mine out and sold it. i love when people in convertibles get annoyed at me

Because they are cheap and required in lots of places. I got a Magnaflow 2.5" on craigslist for 50 bucks new in the box.

If you put one straight through muffler and then dump in front of the rear wheel it will be loud AF. I'm running 2.5" from the 2-to-1 collector into a hi-flow Cat, then about a foot of pipe into a 12" cherry bomb. It then goes over the axle into a 24" (I think) cherry bomb that sits in the stock rear position and then exits in the stock location. All 2.5" stainless.

My car is loud when you're on it, but reasonable when you need it to be. Sounds like a rally car. It spits and pops and rasps. It sounds awesome to me.

The downside is I do have some serious drone. I will be making a resonator pipe to fix this, but haven't had the time yet....

Car is NA, all stock, M cam, M47. Eventually I'll shave the head and do a better cam with an adjustable cam gear. Right now I'm working on suspension stuff, so motor things will be a year or two down the road.

I have a 2.25 exhaust with a magnaflow cat and muffler. It's much louder than the ipd sport exhaust. I really prefer the ipd.

I had a gutted cat but I like it better with one. Smells better and is quieter inside the car - outside it sounds the same.

I live in a smog free zone, and the PO decided to cut out the cat when it went bad. Smells bad. I have 2.25 after the factory pre muffler with a Magnaflow. Sounds decent. I am considering getting a Simon's sport exhaust system, and putting a cat back in.

Looking for input from anyone that has tried this configuration.

Looking to cut the exhaust just after twin tube junction from header, right before catalyst. Then replace with 2.5? flex joint followed by largest straight through silencer that fits. Next section would rotate the pipe 45 degree to dump exhaust just in front of rear wheel on passenger side.

Thoughts? I don?t want to be unbearably loud. At some point, will convert to +T and maintain 2.5? exhaust from turbo manifold.

Thanks.
B.

Lol
I think someone does this at least once a year on the forum, and then realizes what a terrible idea it is.... after everyone told them it was a terrible idea.

Culberro,
I did the search but nothing of value came out. Can you elaborate as to why it’s a bad idea? For example, the Toyota MR2 NA has a short tots length exhaust utilizing a single silencer. In typical exhaust design, the first expansion point creates the initial harmonics for exhaust tuning. I’m suggesting placing that point where the catalyst used to reside and using the largest absorption chamber possible. FYI, my 4Runner has a single enormous muffler positioned midway along the exhaust path. I have no drone and quite a tame exhaust.

My question was intended to understand how loud or unpleasant the exhaust tone might be given the limited space for a silencer. I can weld therefore it’s a relativly cheap option to consider.

B.

Dumping out the side will be loud. One straight through muffler and no cat will also be loud. You're talking about doing two loud things together. It gon be loud.

It'll run just fine.

Agreed. Doubt your stock exhaust is a restriction. The IPD sport exhaust on the street car 91 245 just added drone.

I noticed a considerable difference when I did mine years ago on my GT.

I don't think you need two mufflers/resonators - just a decent high flow cat and single muffler should be fine. And go straight back no reason to dump in front of the tire. Went 2.5 all the way through.

The IPD exhaust is fine, but for the money you can probably just buy a cat and muffler and have a local shop do the work for you for less.

FWIW: https://pbase.com/chumley1/exhaust

I love when the air around me is breathable

and quiet enough to think in

Agreed. Doubt your stock exhaust is a restriction. The IPD sport exhaust on the street car 91 245 just added drone.
All of that. And I think volvo B series are the most drone-prone around.
Go with a long muffler, whatever the placement.
And if you only want noise, leave the cat, delete the rest.

Culberro,
I did the search but nothing of value came out. Can you elaborate as to why it’s a bad idea? For example, the Toyota MR2 NA has a short tots length exhaust utilizing a single silencer. In typical exhaust design, the first expansion point creates the initial harmonics for exhaust tuning. I’m suggesting placing that point where the catalyst used to reside and using the largest absorption chamber possible. FYI, my 4Runner has a single enormous muffler positioned midway along the exhaust path. I have no drone and quite a tame exhaust.

My question was intended to understand how loud or unpleasant the exhaust tone might be given the limited space for a silencer. I can weld therefore it’s a relativly cheap option to consider.

B.

Side exits on a 240 REALLY impact your ground clearance. It will get smashed and make a ton of noise as road debris hits it. It's also really loud from an exhaust noise perspective.

Also, a catalytic converter costs at most a few hp.. but decreases pollution from your car by about a factor of 10. So one 240 without a cat is as much pollution at 10 240s rolling around.

All of my race cars, and drift cars, have had catalytic converters. The cat's have never been the issue with power or speed of the car :-P

For mufflers, these cars need a large volume fiber filled muffler to not sound like absolute trash inside or outside. Unfortunately these won't fit well under the middle of the car.

For the header, the Y-section can be shortened a bit and replaced with larger secondaries. Keep this rigidly mounted like the factory.

Flex joints don't work well on 240s unless you add in an exhaust mount in the middle, or have a very stiff mount for the rear section before the axle. If you don't do this the flex joint starts to sag and will fail, as well as drop the exhaust a few inches lower in the process.

All of that. And I think volvo B series are the most drone-prone around.
Go with a long muffler, whatever the placement.
And if you only want noise, leave the cat, delete the rest.

This.

I'll also add in that everyone should go over-axle and exit out the rear as the good lawd intended :)

Lies! My engine would make a million horsepower instead of 400 if it weren’t for the damned cat!!! :rant:

/s

Back