home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > website & board

Old 02-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
NicholasHarris

Default Solar technology on cars

Solar power is in my opinion one of the most efficient methods of generating power that we are aware of, which is why when I heard Elon musk of Tesla say that he thinks it is a waste, I was shocked. Apparently Mr. Musk has never lived in Phoenix, Arizona. Or any southern state for that matter that see large amounts of sun year round.

Anyone who has lived in the southwest knows that solar is an excellent way of generating power. But corruption and greed and fear abounds and solar has never really caught on as well as it should.

Elon Musk of the Tesla auto company made me sad with his comments regarding solar power on cars, but thankfully Toyota still employ people who possess the ability to think logically which is why I still remain loyal to them.

What do you think about this situation? Share your thoughts, please
NicholasHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

You mean solar cells mounted on a car itself, powering it?

Because Elon is involved with home solar and battery storage.

And a car simply doesn't have enough surface area to generate enough electricity to make much of a difference. At least, not a big fat heavy fast thing like a Tesla. Sure, some people have made super lightweight EV's with fold-out panels or tiltable roof arrays, and they've managed to travel across sunny landscapes with them. But full Arizona summer sunlight and the top surface of a Tesla coated with solar cells - and it's still only going to be a tiny fraction of the power it needs to drive around.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post

And a car simply doesn't have enough surface area to generate enough electricity to make much of a difference. At least, not a big fat heavy fast thing like a Tesla. Sure, some people have made super lightweight EV's with fold-out panels or tiltable roof arrays, and they've managed to travel across sunny landscapes with them. But full Arizona summer sunlight and the top surface of a Tesla coated with solar cells - and it's still only going to be a tiny fraction of the power it needs to drive around.
For a 15’ x 6’ car (assuming you could use the windscreen as a solar cell too) you’d have about 13kW (with 100% efficient panels that do not actually exist yet or maybe ever), then you would have as much power as a 1.5L VW Rabbit Diesel running on 2 cylinders.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:45 AM   #4
Jack
junkman

what the **** is this

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul buck View Post
I love you even more Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
I expect nothing less from an incel like you, Jack.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:32 AM   #5
R-Pow3R3d
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post

He's kind of involved. Solar roof seemed to have started and stopped. I was a bit excited about the idea of solar roof and disappointed that it appears to have died for now.
2006 XC70 & 2007 XC70
R-Pow3R3d
R-Pow3R3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Solar roadways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote