home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Default Looses power?

Vehicle intermittently looses / backfires power under load. Pull over and idle for a minute and it resumes just fine. Main fuel pump has been noisy for a while, but is now quiet.

Reading the Bentley. Fuel pump fuses are good. Jacked up the car, engine running, hand on main pump, I can feel it "buzzing." Around back, remove the transfer pump floor plate. Cannot discern a "buzz" at the exposed portion of the pump. Disconnected the connector, 12v at one terminal, 10v at the other. To my surprise the car ran the same with the pump disconnected. Have I diagnosed a faulty transfer pump?

Thx.

@PDXvolvo on IG
B21FT with a T3/T4, STS coil-overs, T5 trans.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
but is now quiet.
You found your answer

FWIW, don't remove the in-tank sender assembly with a full tank of gas.. (or just be super careful if you do) it'll make retrieving the ping-pong ball float for the fuel gauge a PITA to find and fish out. With an almost empty tank it falls into the baffling and is easy to retrieve with a coathanger with a looped end. However, your car may not run at all if the fuel level gets low enough.. might idle but if it calls for fuel it'll start running super lean and backfiring..
'92 245 - For Sale?
'97 854R - Waiting to get fixed
'06 XC90 V8 - Family Hauler - Wifemobile
'04 XC70 - Impulse buy of the year
Feedback:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ght=dmfwallace
DMFWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Excellent!

I saw an "upgrade" kit on the IPD site. Is this worth while? I have +T aspirations someday.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

A lot of people like to convert to single pump in the tank somewhere in the 300lph range and get rid of the two pump system. But first thing is to pull the pump assembly out and check everything out before ordering a new one. Order a new gasket first thing (big o-ring) and use non-sparking tools to chisel the big nut loose (or just get the right tool unlike me). Did you fuel up in the time between the main pump was gurgling and stopped gurgling?

Last edited by DMFWallace; 07-26-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Old 07-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Oh, that sounds nice. Any recommended conversion kits?

Never ran out of gas. I've always thought the main pump on my car was very noisy. But she's quiet now. Does this happen when they are doing all the work?
Old 07-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Uncleknucklez
bruspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFWallace View Post
You found your answer

FWIW, don't remove the in-tank sender assembly with a full tank of gas.. (or just be super careful if you do) it'll make retrieving the ping-pong ball float for the fuel gauge a PITA to find and fish out. With an almost empty tank it falls into the baffling and is easy to retrieve with a coathanger with a looped end. However, your car may not run at all if the fuel level gets low enough.. might idle but if it calls for fuel it'll start running super lean and backfiring..
Heed this advice, also run to the yard, and grab another float ball so when you do drop one in there, you have a backup, ask me how I know to do this.

Also, I have the IPD "upgrade" kit, it all works as it should, or did, I think my intank may be bad already. It's really not a bad job, don't drop the tank, read the cleanflametrap article a couple times, and get after it!

Uncleknucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruspeed View Post
Heed this advice, also run to the yard, and grab another float ball so when you do drop one in there, you have a backup, ask me how I know to do this.
This is no ****, I once spent 3 hours huddled inside my trunk with a face full of gasoline fumes and sweat trying to fish that sucker out. Less than ideal.

Finally I got fed up and "found an empty" () oil drum, washed it out, and used a random spare 12v pump to pump the tank out into the drum until I could see it floating, then about 30 seconds of fishing later it was done.

I've only ever had it fall off once on installation, seems to happen mostly when being removed because of the shape of the hook. There may be a tetris wizard out there that knows exactly what angle it has to come out at. But all this is beside the point, pull the sender and check things out..
Old 07-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Hmm. Sounds bad. I think I'll siphon her down before diving in.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #9
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Got the pump out. Loosened the pump from the tube and was able to bring the float out with it. Not sure if it will go back that way. What a job.

Reading the Bentley further, it describes the symptoms very closely.

http://cleanflametrap.com/transferPump.htm

This is a good read. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by LC4CARL; 07-27-2016 at 01:04 AM..