• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Whos renting valve shim kit>

If the hushers are installed, you will not get the correct measurement. Pull lifter off to see if the husher is installed.

If the hushers are installed, you will not get the correct measurement. Pull lifter off to see if the husher is installed.

I appreciate all the advice. But no the hushers were not installed. Basically when head came back all the parts were in a box and valves tapped onto the head so they wouldnt fall out. I set the cam up without the hushers(dont plan to run them.), using a B cam. The base circle size of the B cam is about or close to the original M camshaft. Today, I took the head back to the machine shop, they want 500 to trim down the valve stems (I paid 300 already). So, I called for the manager and after a long talk they are going to fix the head, he was cool about it at no charge. But the guy doing the head is a real butt (to put it nicely). Well see what happens, they claim it was my fault not telling them I wanted a complete job.

Doesn’t sound like your fault at all. Sounds like they got schooled on the proper way to do the job correctly and made it right. Glad to hear it’s worked out.

I thought if you press on the shim bucket with some force you compress the husher enough to get the correct measurement. Wrong?

Last edited:
I'm waiting for everyone to complain about a $500+ deposit on the shim kit. All those $4 shims add up really quick when it's basically $20 per size/square in the box plus nearly unobtanium tools.

"nearly unobtanium tools".

I was diggin' round in my parts pile. Is this thing anything ?

image0.jpg

image1.jpg
image2.jpg

:e-shrug::e-shrug:

In the tube and made in Norway.

I appreciate all the advice. But no the hushers were not installed. Basically when head came back all the parts were in a box and valves tapped onto the head so they wouldnt fall out. I set the cam up without the hushers(dont plan to run them.), using a B cam. The base circle size of the B cam is about or close to the original M camshaft. Today, I took the head back to the machine shop, they want 500 to trim down the valve stems (I paid 300 already). So, I called for the manager and after a long talk they are going to fix the head, he was cool about it at no charge. But the guy doing the head is a real butt (to put it nicely). Well see what happens, they claim it was my fault not telling them I wanted a complete job.

Lol, sounds like a great shop to get work done at :wtf:

That’s pathetic. What a lame excuse. BTW, $300 should easily cover a 4 cylinder valve job on an 8 valve head unless a lot of parts need to be replaced.

That?s pathetic. What a lame excuse. BTW, $300 should easily cover a 4 cylinder valve job on an 8 valve head unless a lot of parts need to be replaced.

No parts replaced. Will keep an update as things come along. I dont have much confidence in theses guys of doing the right thing. But will see and hopefully they will make things right. In the mean time Im taking another head I have and gonna lap the valves and get it set up to use. Have a feeling they will prolong as long as they can. Oh well.

I’m not sure where you live, or how many machine shops are in your area, but I think you’re overpaying for work that is suspect.

Here in Portland, it’s $375-450 for a full rebuild including new valve guides and seals, wash, and surfacing. This is for something that is ready to bolt on and go.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about the work being or what to ask for.

I?m not sure where you live, or how many machine shops are in your area, but I think you?re overpaying for work that is suspect.

Here in Portland, it?s $375-450 for a full rebuild including new valve guides and seals, wash, and surfacing. This is for something that is ready to bolt on and go.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about the work being or what to ask for.

Hey I appreciate it. But yes, when they told me my bill was 375 and that included take .030. I was like man thats alot but all would been fine if they did a good job. Now play the waiting game with them, I called the branch manager and explained my case with him. He promised it would be done with no more charges. But yeh, in this area in the ozarks, its hard to find a machine shop that will do good work. If its out of the norm brand and frown. Anyways, enough complaining. Im going to throw a high milage head on the car for now to get back on the road. Its been down for almost 10 weeks.

So you?re in missouri? Arkansas? Trying to figure out how to get you out of this jam.
Tipping the valves with cam and buckets in is quick and easy. If you have the right rig. I do, and someone near you might.

yes, I am in ozarks of missouri near El Dorado Springs Mo. 64744. The machine shop is in springfield mo. couple of hour drive. But any big city is 2 hours for us. I was thinking of telling machine shop just to take .030 off the valve stem. Maybe they would get it done sooner. I could then figure my shims and order them. I would imagine there is a spec on how much you can take off the stem tip.

90volvo lives in eldorado springs. He may have some shims you could use. Shoot him a PM and ask. He is very helpful and has built up some fun volvos.

90volvo lives in eldorado springs. He may have some shims you could use. Shoot him a PM and ask. He is very helpful and has built up some fun volvos.

LOL. Thats my pops, he is helping me with my 240 in fact hes my volvo mechanic. Im learning alot of these Volvos as we go along. He has no way taking meat off of the valve stem. He does have a drill press but he says that wont work and a bench grinder is to risky of keeping it square.

machine shop called this morning and had the head all done. They came threw, my dad already has it on and running. Not sure what if there is a bill dad and them had a long talk about it. Anyways I appreciate all the advice and help.

Back