• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Olga the Second Revised

Your work on that bumper is impressive. I have a feeling that with the recent explosion of enthusiasm for 80/90s cars, we're going to need more people with the ability to fix stuff like that. Great job.

Your work on that bumper is impressive. I have a feeling that with the recent explosion of enthusiasm for 80/90s cars, we're going to need more people with the ability to fix stuff like that. Great job.

Thanks! As a community we grow in experience as our cars get older, so long we still have a deep appreciation for them.

Cool we should meet when both out SE kit cars are done!

Sounds good! We'll meet at Sander's to encourage him to get that spaceship on the road :cool:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the car has taken a seat in the background as I'm still rushing to finish building a 3d-printer for a customer...

Fckx1Yul.jpg

...but that doesn't mean that Olga has been put on hold :-D

From the ashes of the sandblasting cabinet

ZaWJPYxl.jpg

emerges new life!

feRS7rll.jpg

And now I've gone down the rabbit hole...

T5cuLhfl.jpg

SzRxWRtl.jpg

XmMvRbNl.jpg

Pv0DlOBl.jpg

gvw5I9xl.jpg

L2Wwr2el.jpg

So far I haven't discovered any really bad rust or corrosion, but renewing the zinc plating can only improve longevity.

If I've taken the rebuild this far, might as well go all the way. On the other side, as soon as I start putting these shiny parts in the engine bay I'm going to feel the need to pull the motor and do the same to it at some point. Glad it's just a hobby I've got here, so no need to get that done yesterday :grin:

Last edited:
keep the updates comming! the project keeps getting better and better :)
So the doorlocks could be zink plated with the rubber parts still attached?

keep the updates comming! the project keeps getting better and better :)
So the doorlocks could be zink plated with the rubber parts still attached?

Will do! I still got a lot of things to get done, so rest assured more updates will be coming :)

Zink plating is more or less a cold process, so the plastic wasn't warped at all. But I was still surprised at the quality that came back. I'll be doing that again for sure :nod:

Der wird richtig h?bsch.
Saubere Arbeit mit den Sto?stangen (und dem Rest). Also... deine Arbeit. Wenn man nicht selbst macht... Das ist echt schlimm geworden in den letzten Jahren.
Sch?nes Projekt. Weiter so.

Been a looooong time since the last update, been busy but still trucking along with the restoration. To say the least, it's been a painstaking endeavour cause I am being painstakingly consequent with the smallest details. In the end there are a lot of things that won't see the light of day ever again, but then that's exactly why I'm taking my time to do things right!

Sooo, where do I start....

Ah yeah... the horror from the body shop was not yet at an end...

After the third round of reclamations, and a total of 9 months, all the pieces finally came back from the body shop in November 2020. Remember the nice pictures of the chasis after it got delivered the first time? Well somehow the paint wasn't mixed right and fell in after a while to reveal a lot of imperfections. The shop blamed it on being an imported car from the USA which had been sprayed with some paint that's not compatible with their system and some other random bull****. Just absolutely ridiculous, especially when this is the official partner of the local Volvo dealership. In the end everything worked out, but just take a look at this carnage :barf:

6q53yCEl.jpg

5FOHBNHl.jpg

7WHbaF8l.jpg

3BTvf4Jl.jpg

Rear bumper where I had to restore the contours

5ODnzSsl.jpg

Not a feature

tMhanfrl.jpg

Sideskirt

jI5jIW3l.jpg

Quarter panel

p8Kc5yxl.jpg

g9C2vHRl.jpg

jI5Jmoml.jpg

Roof

BqF1Zf2l.jpg

mRWPchIl.jpg

Not a single panel, door or accessory didn't have to be sent back and polished out or repainted as the paint was still soft and didn't properly cure... But as I said, it still worked out in the end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how she stood in January

fylsTp4l.jpg

And this is a couple of weeks ago

K0cjrjEl.jpg

I've been taking a lot of pictures of the restauration process, but I'm out of time to continue this update cause I have to go to my father-in-law's birthday party :party:

Rest assured, more pictures of shiny things and progress will follow!!!!

Last edited:
nice progress!

Thanks! Finally getting things on the move :)

On matters totally unrelated to Volvos, but still on the topic of motorsports, everyone needs a 3D printer in their garage! Had a small issue with desintegrated bushings for my KX250 and got new rubber ones printed up in a jiffy.

I6A5zEzl.jpg

yPhfiuzl.jpg

T23Mn5fl.jpg

Now if it weren't for the corna virus preventing me from having a track to ride at, I'd have a valid excuse for why Olga is still sitting around in pieces :lol:

More random updates as I find the pictures on my phone...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you remember those 3D printed covers I got done for the front bumper cutouts, well they turned out really well!!!

SKAhwzal.jpg

g3B0ThFl.jpg

I absolutely need to take pictures from afar in the daylight, but here's a glimps of the glory of my fully restored SE front.

1iKUI3nl.jpg

Never did like fog lights anyway, so there's another OCD itch take care of :-P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another nice thing was to be able to get the gaskets put back on the doors with new automotive grade double sided 3M 468MP tape, yay.

63YHCssl.jpg

So they're no longer randomly laying around the shop, but that has got to have been the most bland and unexciting step so far. :lol:

QTv880il.jpg

It was fun putting the spoiler back on though!

owrZMysl.jpg

irR5mh5l.jpg

Decided to mount it with some sticky bitumen stuff instead of glueing it or using double sided tape. This makes it easier to remove without damaging the spoiler or the paint if I ever need to.

EmCM0NCl.jpg

And it also helps to fill out some gaps that happened over the years as the foam warped in the hot Florida sun.

UK4gFgil.jpg

---> A post about milestones achieved some time ago...

Before I could button up the exterior I had to take care of the electricals and external lighting which had suffered from both time and other... sentient lifeforms. Lucky for me, I went to a friend's garage last year to buy his spare M90 and he just gave me a B230FT longblock as well as all the brain boxes and wiring harnesses from a 940, which served as a donor for all the miscellaneous sockets and pins :)

From a Turbobrick perspective, this is a box of pure gold!
xoGk3LCh.jpg

Not let's get to cleaing up those electricals...

Some things couldn't be cleaned, so they just had to be replaced ;-)

Ec2eIG1h.jpg

eKA8vOYh.jpg

Other things had already been "creatively" replaced by the P.O. and had to get re-replaced :lol:

HZalrs8h.jpg

I mean, the radio suppresion relay was functional, but it was not water proof and also just looked plain funky, so it had to go if favor of a quality stock unit.

6g2XQbAh.jpg

A59ghhbh.jpg

Also renewed the fan power relay on the other side since after so many years it was somewhat worn and falling apart.

A couple of years ago I had I had spliced in the EU headlight sockets in a hurry and needed to revisit that area to make them look like they belong.

CxRdPJeh.jpg

pr3QdIgh.jpg

In the dark recesses behind the grill is where I found the only really rusty nuts and bolts. After having zink plated everything that came off, I now always try to painstakingly protect and seal them when reinstalling them. Ain't a rusty screw gonna ever touch my pertty ride again!

LD1qeWDh.jpg

btB5kL6h.jpg

After replacing a few other random sockets and cleaning up the wiring harness everything was good to start the final assembly process.

If any of you have already reassembled a car, do you remember how painstaking it was to realign all the doors, hood, trunk and body panels??? :omg: It took me probably an entire day just to install the handles and locks to get everything lined up perfectly. But just one of those jobs where afterwards you happily and repeatedly just run around the car for an exessive amount of time opening and closing ALL THE THINGS for only the satisfaction of the typical Volvo *THUD* when you close them. :bow:

Afterwards you take a step back and think about how all that took up an entire day's work :doh:

Anyways... more new things had to be unpacked and replaced, just because.

5zJKbW3h.jpg

That'll stick!

tsPvci7h.jpg

Gotta be one of the most useless "gaskets" in the entire car....

JuAXJYbh.jpg

But before mounting the quarter panels they got a fresh strip of sticky goo striping, because we no want water running down the inside and rusting up

JinbJEAh.jpg

Also the wonderful air intake screen that always falls in and generously allows leaves to enter the cabin A/C fan was hopefully fixated with enough sticky goo to keep that from happening again.

fneXf0oh.jpg

And of course more new parts, cause that upper trim came out it 10+ pieces...

Nw2BwXFh.jpg

ZUg6fB6h.jpg

Somewhere I had the windshield wipers in hand and thought they had seen better days... but now they are back in black and almost look like new!

E9xYbFbh.jpg

smAMaawh.jpg

So many little projects like this just keep coming, but what's the point of a project car when it's completed??!?!?! :rofl:

The stock speakers are great for grocery shopping, but I need moar sound. Somewhere I took a photo of the modified wiring harnesses, but don't know where it saved it... So here are some pictures after the install which allow some high power upgrades in the future.

I upgraded the speaker wires with some quality 14-gauge stuff and hid them in the harness for an extra clean installation.

xBIiwTfh.jpg

Then I replaced the pins in the harness sockets with some beefy JPTs.

Wvpkssdh.jpg

i9u5A8ih.jpg

nhHcbrEh.jpg

Finally we were ready for some 6.5" replacement speakers in the front and 5.25" in the rear.

P0Ps8odh.jpg

Had to trim the frames a bit on the front doors, but the screen still fits.

Z6PLFMYh.jpg

7dJ4jRhh.jpg

Later I'm going to add a an old school Rockford Fosgate amp I got laying around that will push these with with 250 watts per channel, but at some point I also need to renew the foam and paint the metal screens...

Now that things are picking up speed I'm hoping to get back on the road sometime in the forseable future.

...we'll all have to wait and see when that'll be, but at this point I'm getting really excited! Just ordered another load of OEM parts which consist of a few missing clips for the door trim pieces and a lot of interior parts. All those years in Florida really took a toll on the plastics. I might have them here within the next two weeks, but before then I still have other things to do...

Last edited:
If you remember those 3D printed covers I got done for the front bumper cutouts, well they turned out really well!!!

SKAhwzal.jpg

g3B0ThFl.jpg

I absolutely need to take pictures from afar in the daylight, but here's a glimps of the glory of my fully restored SE front.

1iKUI3nl.jpg

Never did like fog lights anyway, so there's another OCD itch take care of :-P

Oh well... i think i'd like that for my SE bumper too.. Willing to share the file for it?
I think it might be nice solution though i have some fogs in there now... on the fence

Back