• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3 quick questions

nel621

1) what is the thread pitch on Volvo 240 brake calipers, where the brake line enters the caliper. Need to try and dress a damaged thread on a new caliper.

2) do Bilstein struts fit 89 240 tubes? I know they are tight, if not impossible fit on a 90.

3) would like to see your solution for the crappy fiber board that covers the rear right of the trunk. What a lousy setup, a small metal clip on cardboard is supposed to last? Volvo couldn't make the panel out of something that doesn't warp?

That's it! Have fun. Hope I get my wiper motor before the big rain comes.:roll:

The thread pitch on the brake pipe fittings from what I recall is 10mm 1.0.
No, the 90 model year struts have the welded in spacers so it's a battle to fit the bilsteins in there. As has been mentioned, some people just crush them in there but that has never worked for me.
IPD used to sell a plastic replacement cover for the cardboard cover. Don't know if they still sell it but cutting it out of a sheet of plastic or making a wood one is probably a good way to go.

1.) M10x1 bubble
2.) I actually did this last weekend and had to DIY hone my strut tubes with sandpaper to get HDs to fit. IDK the year as they came from bneshop 18 months ago but they did not have the welded spacer at the bottom.
3.) I deleted it :e-shrug:

When I had Billy HDs installed on my 90 the guy who did it said he had to sand some of the paint off of the strut so that it would fit into the housing. No mention of a spacer, but perhaps I don't remember. I asked about the 89 strut tubes because I would hate to take things apart and find the parts don't fit. There is a 92 240 at my friends shop. That car is getting HDs but the owner purchased used tubes from an earlier car. Not sure what year they came off of.
As for the trunk cover perhaps a piece of plexiglass may be the solution. But also I'm thinking reinforce the back of the cardboard, then make a wide plastic L and rivet to the said cover. More support width wise.
The caliper is new, not worth shipping back. When installed it leaked where the line goes in. I think if I dress the threads it should be good to go.

When I had Billy HDs installed on my 90 the guy who did it said he had to sand some of the paint off of the strut so that it would fit into the housing. No mention of a spacer, but perhaps I don't remember. I asked about the 89 strut tubes because I would hate to take things apart and find the parts don't fit. There is a 92 240 at my friends shop. That car is getting HDs but the owner purchased used tubes from an earlier car. Not sure what year they came off of.
As for the trunk cover perhaps a piece of plexiglass may be the solution. But also I'm thinking reinforce the back of the cardboard, then make a wide plastic L and rivet to the said cover. More support width wise.
The caliper is new, not worth shipping back. When installed it leaked where the line goes in. I think if I dress the threads it should be good to go.

Take another look I bet it's eroded from the sand blaster.

BTDT.

On the caliper it was a very small leak. I tried to tighten down as much as I could without breaking anything, no luck. Good thing I had another caliper on hand. It was getting dark and the mosquitoes were hungry. I thought about maybe using sealant for gas pipe or tape for gas pipe. I'll try to fix the threads first.

I have a 1992 240 with what I believe are HD's crammed in there. I found out that ABS versions had the factory spacer installed, ...during 1989 ?

:volvo:

My 1990 came with the welded spacers. The H6's would fit but was unable to tread in the top nut more than 1 thread. I went to the junk yard and pulled a set from a '86 that had the drop in spacer. the H6's fit perfect and the top nut screwed all the way down no problem.

Back