• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

4 speed auto shifter

90volvo

I just finishing up on my redblock to 4L60e swap in my 90 volvo 240. I bought an TCI shifter which is gonna be a pain to make work. Ive been curious if anybody knows of a factory 4 speed auto shifter that might come closer to fitting? It needs 1 2 3 4th gear selections on it. Ive checked 940 and 960s with no luck. Looked in local yard but most are not mechanical shifters. I know this is a long shot but Im sure Im not the only redblock guy has ever thought about it. IF not, then what aftermarket shifter fits simplier? B & M pro rachet? Thanks for any help.

There's a short run of 740's that ran a ZF trans instead of the AW trans that had PRND321 pattern on them. I have one in the shed for mine. Not sure if there's differences in mounting on the 9xx, shouldn't be that different though.

^Bw55.

The stock 240 Aw70 shifter should work the same as a ZF shifter, it just won't light up the indicator strip unless you have it in P or 1. From the limited time I had access to an '87 744GLE, the shifter throw between P and 1 didn't seem any different than the shifter in my old '83 245T before I converted it to manual.

Before the turbo/aw upgrade mine had the ZF for many years. Only downside was it could not select first gear.

Before the turbo/aw upgrade mine had the ZF for many years. Only downside was it could not select first gear.

from what Ive searched, I havent seen any volvo shifters with 1 2 3 4 or D. Starting to wonder if there is such a thing. Im looking to go aftermarket which I did not want to do. Anyways thanks for the help.

Back