home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #1
R32RennSport
Outlaw Amazonian

Default R32rennsport's 142 Project Thread

Well I went and added another moose to my stable. This one will be much less pretty and a lot more gritty than the Amazon. A budget beater build if you will. I digress though, let's start with the story.

This '73 D Jet 142 has sat in a large gravel lot on the industrial south side of town since 2001. I still remember seeing it first being parked there riding my bike in my high school days before I had a license. I always thought it was an interesting old car with it's striking orange paint even before I had an interest in old cars. I would inquire about the car randomly throughout the next two decades only to be turned away.

Fast forward to last week. As it turns out a client of the shop happens to be manager of the building on the lot that the car sat on. I inquired about the car and he responded that it belonged to the owner of the property who's family had long time ties to a few properties in the area locally. I asked him to forward my information on and that I was interested in purchasing the vehicle. The next day I received a phone call. In the world that is ever growing smaller as I age, it turns out the gentleman who owns the car is well acquainted with my boss from college days AND his sister owns the property that we use as our parking/storage lot for our shop. I was a shoe in after that. We agreed on a price and made arrangements to meet. We made the exchange (which may lead to additional future acquisitions) and I had the 142 towed to our shop.

Upon closer inspection at the shop there was plenty to take note of. Firstly, the interior had been a mouse hotel at some point in it's two decades of rest. Quite sad because the interior had been quite nice at an earlier date and is really very complete. The driver's door panel was found in the trunk which was also remarkably intact. The sheet metal is amazingly straight on every side, all trim is there. The most noticeable body rot is at the base of the windshield and on the leading edge of the hood and trunk. The engine bay was extremely well preserved and I have no doubt that I'll have the engine up and running with little fuse. Worst case scenario I have a set of SU's to throw on while I go through the D Jet.

The plan as of now is to make this into a budget B Sedan Racer/Rally Tarmac budget build for the street (not for competition). Bumpers off, interior out, exterior lights, period aero, and of course lower it and change out the rolling stock. Basically just for fun build and see where it goes, everything opposite of the Amazon but that's why I like it.

1973 Budget Build 142
R32RennSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #2
doucheNozzle

Sup

'00 XC70 SE - Slow
'11 XC90 V8 - Torque Monster
‘12 Mazda5 - Work Car
‘06 E350 Ambulance - Work Car
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Hell yeah

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:46 AM   #4
Scaramanga
Board Member

Yeah! Cool car! Keep us updated
Old 08-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
dl242gt
Old and boxy but good.

Looks like a fun project. That car is a cool find that you already have history with.
1982 242 turbo. 338k miles. MVP coilovers and 3" exhaust. Flowed 405 with a V15. Cossie turbine housing with upgraded compressor housing. 90+, IPD remote oil filter. Some other goodness, too. Been lots of fun over 25 years. Restored in 2k. Now ready for a 2nd restoration.

1993 245 Classic, 440k miles, enem V15. IPD bars and chassis braces. Simons sport exhaust from Scandix. sbabbs ezk chip. Been a good road warrior. Genuine Volvo rebuilt leaky M47.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
vwbusman66
Stößelstange über alles

appruv
2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.5S 69 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast740fromSC
I am living proof that fetal alcohol syndrome is not that bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the only problem with that is what you define as cheap and fast