• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 mystery of destroyed my coolant temp sensor

fred.malmberg

Sorry for the long read, . but I'm trying to figure out what destroyed my coolant temperature sensor.

The car;1981, 245, with B21A ie SU carb.

Here is the destroyed coolant temperature sensor vs one I have salvaged from another vehicle.

H55eELB.jpg

And while still on the head

UhgeCZX.jpg

Finally here is the main wire harness that passes under crankcase ventilation box and up to 8 pin connector on firewall, which includes the coolant temp sensor wire.

kboo6Fx.jpg

The story. I had finished a bunch of work replacing front seals, timing belt etc, and finally oil pressure switch non of I believe relevant to the failure, but anytime you do work on something there is always the risk that you inadvertently break something unrelated.

After I finished the above I had the engine running/idling about 30 minutes total and started it maybe 4 times, but never raised the rpm more than what the the choke does when starting. So assume at this point the engine starts and runs without problems.

Feeling stoked there was finally no oil leaks, I turned off the engine and decided to clean the flame trap, but being tired and not careful, I broke the smaller tube on flame trap housing for the smaller diameter hose to intake manifold. So I figured I'd just tape up both ends until I had time to get a new flame trap housing , thinking that there wouldn't be that much ill effects, since the larger diameter hose to intake of carburetor was still connected so there wouldn't be too much build up of gas. This might have been my mistake?

How does the smaller diameter hose to to the intake manifold work in conjunction with the larger diameter hose to intake of carburetor?

After I taped up both ends of the smaller diameter hose, I started the car and it idled for no more than 5 minutes when then there was an explosion, and the car kept running but I quickly turned off the ignition.

I don't know if the explosion was a backfire, if I ignited some gases with an electrical spark, or if it was an electrical direct short to ground.

While cleaning and reconnecting the flame trap, I might have inadvertently disconnected, one or both of the hoses to the EGR thermostat, and the coolant temperature sensor.

But after for sure the coolant temp was destroyed, and the wiring insulation damaged (per photos)

If I by mistake disconnected one or two of the hoses to the EGR thermostat, the only effect should be that vacuum never develops and the EGR valve never opens after engine temperature rises, . so no ill effects just more NOx created. Correct?

If I by mistake disconnected or partially disconnected the coolant temperature sensor it could be intermittently touching the block, not enough to blow the fuse, but enough to create a spark? If this is the case, where would these gas fumes come from?

Finally if you look at the damaged insulation, Could it really be this bad originally from previously running car? Or this looks like it was caused by high current?

How could I get high current if the coolant temperature sensor is fused? Fuse 13 was OK after.

Maybe the insulation was already bad and two wires in the harness were conducting, and an unfused path to ground was created via the coolant temperature sensor connector touching the block?

The blue-yellow wire to the starter solenoid is not fused correct? But it should only be on with the key in the start position?

The brown wire to the ignition coil is not fused either, and is always on with the key in the run position, but after the engine is started, the voltage comes through ballast resistor, so voltage should be less.

Where is the ballast resistor located?

Any insights appreciated.

Luckily Dave Barton is helping me out with a new wire harness.

Holy crud.
The only thing I can think of is Volvo had a stretch of using "environmentally friendly" biodegradable wire insulation. I don't know if 1981 is one of those years, but I can't imagine anything but a big short causing that kind of destruction.

Last edited:
Looks like the sensor was hit by a wrench or maybe a short socket was used on it. My '81 B21F, California car, suffered crumbling wire insulation but that was inside the cable covering. Sometimes the cable cover gets hard and cracks but a patch that's torn away including the wires looks more like damage. Perhaps during removal or replacement of the starter.

Fixing those wires is going to be tough. Maybe remove the whole cable to work on it or just replace it.

Just following...

Sorry for the long read, . but I'm trying to figure out what destroyed my coolant temperature sensor.

The car;1981, 245, with B21A ie SU carb.

Here is the destroyed coolant temperature sensor vs one I have salvaged from another vehicle.

H55eELB.jpg

And while still on the head

UhgeCZX.jpg

Finally here is the main wire harness that passes under crankcase ventilation box and up to 8 pin connector on firewall, which includes the coolant temp sensor wire.

kboo6Fx.jpg

The story. I had finished a bunch of work replacing front seals, timing belt etc, and finally oil pressure switch non of I believe relevant to the failure, but anytime you do work on something there is always the risk that you inadvertently break something unrelated.

After I finished the above I had the engine running/idling about 30 minutes total and started it maybe 4 times, but never raised the rpm more than what the the choke does when starting. So assume at this point the engine starts and runs without problems.

Feeling stoked there was finally no oil leaks, I turned off the engine and decided to clean the flame trap, but being tired and not careful, I broke the smaller tube on flame trap housing for the smaller diameter hose to intake manifold. So I figured I'd just tape up both ends until I had time to get a new flame trap housing , thinking that there wouldn't be that much ill effects, since the larger diameter hose to intake of carburetor was still connected so there wouldn't be too much build up of gas. This might have been my mistake?

How does the smaller diameter hose to to the intake manifold work in conjunction with the larger diameter hose to intake of carburetor?

After I taped up both ends of the smaller diameter hose, I started the car and it idled for no more than 5 minutes when then there was an explosion, and the car kept running but I quickly turned off the ignition.

I don't know if the explosion was a backfire, if I ignited some gases with an electrical spark, or if it was an electrical direct short to ground.

While cleaning and reconnecting the flame trap, I might have inadvertently disconnected, one or both of the hoses to the EGR thermostat, and the coolant temperature sensor.

But after for sure the coolant temp was destroyed, and the wiring insulation damaged (per photos)

If I by mistake disconnected one or two of the hoses to the EGR thermostat, the only effect should be that vacuum never develops and the EGR valve never opens after engine temperature rises, . so no ill effects just more NOx created. Correct?

If I by mistake disconnected or partially disconnected the coolant temperature sensor it could be intermittently touching the block, not enough to blow the fuse, but enough to create a spark? If this is the case, where would these gas fumes come from?

Finally if you look at the damaged insulation, Could it really be this bad originally from previously running car? Or this looks like it was caused by high current?

How could I get high current if the coolant temperature sensor is fused? Fuse 13 was OK after.

Maybe the insulation was already bad and two wires in the harness were conducting, and an unfused path to ground was created via the coolant temperature sensor connector touching the block?

The blue-yellow wire to the starter solenoid is not fused correct? But it should only be on with the key in the start position?

The brown wire to the ignition coil is not fused either, and is always on with the key in the run position, but after the engine is started, the voltage comes through ballast resistor, so voltage should be less.

Where is the ballast resistor located?

Any insights appreciated.

Luckily Dave Barton is helping me out with a new wire harness.
Just following ......

I finally received my new harness from Dave.

USPS and Canada Post are crazy slow these days (4 weeks from Texas to Vancouver)

But product was great, exact fit, and surprising easy to install. Highly recommend his harnesses.

I got the M46 wOD harnesses as well. Hoping to swap the transmission before end of the year.

l3ohpLy.jpg

As you can see my old wiring was a disaster, still can't figure out how this was able to run.

GCQJelL.jpg

Those Dave Barton harnesses are heavy duty and real nice quality. I got the M46 harness when I manual swapped my car and it was almost comical how easily it all went in and the instructions were super detailed. I got the EZK LH2.2 conversion harness for my car and I can’t wait to install it, couldn’t recommend his stuff more.

Back