• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

swapping 7 series lsd into a 240

tog244

I've heard that 7 series came with LSD's and I wanted to know more information about that and swapping it. did all 7 series come with an lsd or do I need to look for specific ones models? do I have to swap the whole rear axle or just the differential? as a teenage boy with a rwd manual car, I would love to have an LSD especially if I can pull one from a junkyard for cheap but is it feasible?

All the LSDs in the yards are gone by now. most of the cars too.

if you buy one off someone else it's a fairly straightforward swap but don't expect anything spectacular.

locking diffs for dana 30 in general can be made to fit.

I don't have high hopes for finding one but this is just in case I do. What all would I need to get to swap it? Just the internal gears?

will a different diff mess up my speedo if I have an 87 244 DL? I'm new to differentials.

Google site:www.turbobricks.com (your search term) There are lots of threads about this.

It is probably above your skill level. Start with just learning how to safely get the tires off the ground to do work on your car without killing yourself.

Learn the places where you can/can't put a jack. Always set the parking brake and chock the wheels. On a RWD car if you lift the rear of the car and don't chock the front tires, you may die.

Don't ever lift a car and work on it with only the jack. Always put a jackstand too. Throw the wheel under the car too so that if it does fall, you may not die.

Got any tools?

http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=333440

This was my thread about a G80 differential install into my 240. I never got the speedo working, but it did fun burnouts.

Speedo issues can be solved by using Universal Speedometer made by Dakota Digital, will correct for tire size & pulse coming from diff. can get speedo spot on with gps readings. Put one on my 745 when going to a newer diff.

Easier solution is to use the 12 slot tone ring off the original open carrier. Just make sure to flatten the tone ring down, if not it will chew up the sensor

i know how to work on cars and i have done plenty of things before but i haven't ever switched a diff. ignoring speedo problems for now, can i take the diff gears from a 1991 740 wagon and put them in my 240 differential casing.

and will the wagon in point have a automatic locking differential or limited slip, and is there a big difference between the two (that will be noticed by a teenage boy driving)

All the info is out there...one google search away...
But what your looking for is the g80 locker, unless it's a late model 7 series it probably won't have one
Automatic locking.

I noticed it, hard not to notice it staying locked for a few blocks after breaking traction, cut the counterweight with care

Fix all the blown out suspension and fluid leaks on the car first.

Work on building a good, organized set of tools.

picture.php

I've heard about the g80 and for doing burnouts and such I'm guessing it isn't as ideal as an LSD but I have been told that some 7 series came with LSD's but I have a feeling it would be crazy lucky to find one.

and i appreciate the concern zvolv but ive already replaced all four shocks, springs, anti-sway bars, and bushings front and back all directly from IPD and i have a bountiful set of good organized tools.

Back