• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 IPD stainless header pipe

mblue240

Being a newer item I thought I would share a brief review of the IPD stainless steel header pipe. It seems like a quality piece, welds look good and it fits as it should. The install is easier than the factory pipe as there is a large gap between the pipe and mounting hardware. The added bonus I hadn't thought of is weight savings. The factory pipe weighs 11lbs and the IPD piece is just 6lbs.

There is a large o2 bung on the driver side of the pipe that comes with a quality plug. on the passenger side there is a smaller plug that came with a threaded stud. I put blue loctice on both plugs before I installed it. The smaller bung though there is no way to torque it down, as it will just thread into the pipe. Of course on my first decent drive that smaller plug worked itself into the pipe and stopped at the cat element. This left me with a big exhaust leak and a metallic rattle....on a 4 hour round trip.

I called IPD and asked for the thread pattern, so I could plug it for the next day. The sales rep told me he pulled one pipe off the shelf and it didn't have the plug at all. He said he would call me back with the info. 24 hours later I still didn't hear back from IPD so I pulled it apart and retrieved the plug from inside the cat. Then I grabbed a bolt from the hardware store and plugged it correctly. My notes say it's 12x1.5, I do want to grab a shorter bolt.

I think the pipe is well worth buying, but grab a bolt before you install it.

20210830_171358 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20210908_172234 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20210907_182012 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

20210909_124438 by M. Blue 240, on Flickr

Yeah I picked one of those up about three weeks ago, same stupid plug that doesn't have a stop. Who thought that was a good idea, welding mine shut. Here's the thing... you shouldn't have to source a bolt for a port that serves no purpose for the intended vehicle. Ever since the buyout it's been downhill.

yeah that plug baffled me as well. I guess its a pressure test port to check if the catalyst is gummed up. I shoved a flange bolt with red RTV into it.

Also it may not affect those with o2 sensors near the catalyst but mine is in the manifold itself so I used the included plug for the O2 spot. It kept working its way out so that got red RTV too:oops:

I did the same thing. Went and got a bolt and copper washer to plug that stupid hole. Other than that, great product.

Yeah I picked one of those up about three weeks ago, same stupid plug that doesn't have a stop. Who thought that was a good idea, welding mine shut. Here's the thing... you shouldn't have to source a bolt for a port that serves no purpose for the intended vehicle. Ever since the buyout it's been downhill.

IPD was bought by someone else?

Being a newer item I thought I would share a brief review of the IPD stainless steel header pipe. It seems like a quality piece, welds look good and it fits as it should. The install is easier than the factory pipe as there is a large gap between the pipe and mounting hardware. The added bonus I hadn't thought of is weight savings. The factory pipe weighs 11lbs and the IPD piece is just 6lbs.

There is a large o2 bung on the driver side of the pipe that comes with a quality plug. on the passenger side there is a smaller plug that came with a threaded stud. I put blue loctice on both plugs before I installed it. The smaller bung though there is no way to torque it down, as it will just thread into the pipe. Of course on my first decent drive that smaller plug worked itself into the pipe and stopped at the cat element. This left me with a big exhaust leak and a metallic rattle....on a 4 hour round trip.

I called IPD and asked for the thread pattern, so I could plug it for the next day. The sales rep told me he pulled one pipe off the shelf and it didn't have the plug at all. He said he would call me back with the info. 24 hours later I still didn't hear back from IPD so I pulled it apart and retrieved the plug from inside the cat. Then I grabbed a bolt from the hardware store and plugged it correctly. My notes say it's 12x1.5, I do want to grab a shorter bolt.

I think the pipe is well worth buying, but grab a bolt before you install it.

nice write up, info and photos

:cool:

... you shouldn't have to source a bolt for a port that serves no purpose for the intended vehicle.

yeah that plug baffled me as well. I guess its a pressure test port to check if the catalyst is gummed up. I shoved a flange bolt with red RTV into it.

The port is there to allow a gas analyzer to be connected pre-cat.

I did the same thing. Went and got a bolt and copper washer to plug that stupid hole. Other than that, great product.

That'll be a lot cheaper than getting the factory copper plug but it might be difficult finding one that's only 8mm long.

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Plug-Genuine-Classic-Part/1181376/948404.html

1014157.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the use of the port Hiperfauto, plugged mine with a bolt. Finally got around to the install, bellhousing to exhaust hanger is so far off that I'll have to modify my bracket for it to work. I guess quality control is a thing of the past.

Thanks for the heads up on the use of the port Hiperfauto, plugged mine with a bolt. Finally got around to the install, bellhousing to exhaust hanger is so far off that I'll have to modify my bracket for it to work. I guess quality control is a thing of the past.

Had a similar issue with my IPD exhaust (and an O2 sensor bung that was too far back for the wires to reach) - I was a bit annoyed but when all was said and done I'm pleased with the product overall.

Back