home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
XlowerX

Default 1984 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo Diesel NEWBIE needs Help!

Hey all!!

I got my Grandfathers 1984 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo Diesel Automatic with 207K miles. Pretty cool old car!!

Did a light tune-up, fuel filter, glow plugs, oil change, new battery, etc. Drove for 2 weeks with no issues.

Today I was going about 80MPH and my automatic transmission just lost all gears while driving. I pulled over to find Reverse still works, but nothing in 1-3, D, nothing. Fluid was 1 quirt low, but still nothing.

SO here I am, Looking for Help... I see their are lots of swap information for these cars. I'm curious if I missed something and this tranny could still be good? Or If I should upgrade to a 5 speed manual (would be much more fun to drive). Not sure what transmissions fit the diesel over the gas engines?

Also looking what people do for upgrades on the turbo Desiel for more power. I know its 207K miles, so not trying to build a racecar, but maybe some tips/tricks or parts that help out.

I'm open to any ideas and I think you all in advance for help!

Paul
XlowerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
h20ham
Board Member

4bt a and T5 trans is what Ied do. Then again, there are a few better 93-95 mechanical diesel pumped 4 cylinder Japanese or Europe these days. Stay away from electric controlled it seems. And as all the diesel fuel lines etc are already there

Where did the fluid go? Did you boil it, was it 40 years old. I bet dropping the pan, and have a new filter ready. If its full of clutch material or metal, no point in wasting filter or fluid
h20ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:17 AM   #3
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Could have ate the clutch pack. Does the fluid look/smell gross? You'll need a diesel specific transmission to swap since they use different bell housings vs gas cars. You could probably find an M46 diesel bell housing and make a T5 work, but that'll cost a lot more than getting a used M46 or another ZF.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:32 AM   #4
v8volvo
Board Member

Come on over to the forum at www.d24t.com, it's where us Volvo diesel guys hang out. There is not a lot of diesel knowledge here on TB (although there are plenty of myths and old wives' tales ). 99.9999% gasoline powered cars here.

On your transmission, you may be experiencing the failure of forward ("A") clutch in the ZF automatic which is not common but does sometimes happen. Unfortunately if that is the case the only fix is a trans rebuild or replacement. Fortunately in the rebuild process, the underlying flaw that causes these failures gets resolved, so it won't happen again. Other than this one issue they are great transmissions and worth fixing.

Swapping to manual is an option too but these cars are faster and better to drive with an automatic most of the time. A D24T M46 can bolt in though, or an M90. T5 too in theory but a lot more hacking involved.

Cool that you have the car, hope you can get it back up and running one way or another. You will find lots of help over on the diesel board.

Last edited by v8volvo; 01-27-2021 at 12:41 AM..
v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #5
XlowerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ham View Post

Where did the fluid go? Did you boil it, was it 40 years old. I bet dropping the pan, and have a new filter ready. If its full of clutch material or metal, no point in wasting filter or fluid
Its pretty oily under the car from so many years. Couldn't tell if it was leaking out or not. Dropping the pan seems like a good idea.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
XlowerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Could have ate the clutch pack. Does the fluid look/smell gross? You'll need a diesel specific transmission to swap since they use different bell housings vs gas cars. You could probably find an M46 diesel bell housing and make a T5 work, but that'll cost a lot more than getting a used M46 or another ZF.
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if this Diesel motor would mount a gas tranny. I'll check the fluid tonight. It still looked red, but I didn't get a good smell of it.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:57 AM   #7
XlowerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Come on over to the forum at www.d24t.com, it's where us Volvo diesel guys hang out. There is not a lot of diesel knowledge here on TB (although there are plenty of myths and old wives' tales ). 99.9999% gasoline powered cars here.

On your transmission, you may be experiencing the failure of forward ("A") clutch in the ZF automatic which is not common but does sometimes happen. Unfortunately if that is the case the only fix is a trans rebuild or replacement. Fortunately in the rebuild process, the underlying flaw that causes these failures gets resolved, so it won't happen again. Other than this one issue they are great transmissions and worth fixing.

Swapping to manual is an option too but these cars are faster and better to drive with an automatic most of the time. A D24T M46 can bolt in though, or an M90. T5 too in theory but a lot more hacking involved.

Cool that you have the car, hope you can get it back up and running one way or another. You will find lots of help over on the diesel board.
THANK YOU!! I'll go sign up over there! If you all agree that this ZF is good, I'll probably look at getting it rebuilt. Looks like swapping to manual will require needing an ENTIRE car to swap over all the parts (Pedal, Tranny, Cables, ETC)

I called a local shop that deals in old Volvos, and he tells me he hasn't seen a 760 Diesel in 20 years LOL. I gotta get her back up and running!!
Old 05-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #8
v8volvo
Board Member

Hey Paul, did you ever get something figured out to get your 760 TD back on the road?

Feel free to reach out to me if you need parts (transmission, etc). I have a few good used diesel ZF automatics kicking around still.
v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote