• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electronics

STIHL

Looking for some information on something I think is electronic. My tach stopped working, my fuel gauge started dropping super fast, and my temp gauge is wonky. No idea where to start.

1984 244 GL

Last edited:
You have to make sure the red wire circuit on the alternator is working. It is the trouble light for charging. If all the lights lite up when starting the car. then just test on the battery for about 13.8-14v.

If that is working and your gauges are failing. Check the fuses around location 11 and 12. If they are good and your gauges are still not working correctly. You may have a bad voltage regulator on the cluster. But more than likely you have a problem with the alternator wiring.

Did Volvo do away with the voltage regulator on the back of the instrument panel by 1984?

it was used all the way to the end of production. The only main difference is the early clusters had a mechanical regulator. The 1980 and later have an electronic regulator. Both regulate to 10v.

I thought that as well, but I replaced it after the same thing happened to me after I first bought it.

With a reman cheapie from a parts store? Could still be the problem. I've gone through 3 so far. Also check the bushings in the mounts. When they fail the belts slip.

In my limited Volvo experience, every electronic issue where suddenly nothing works correctly all at once is because of an imperfect ground somewhere in the system; is there any chance of corroded connections where they can't be seen?

In my limited Volvo experience, every electronic issue where suddenly nothing works correctly all at once is because of an imperfect ground somewhere in the system; is there any chance of corroded connections where they can't be seen?

OP, listen to the Padawan.

I've found that bad alternators can usually be brought back to life by replacing the voltage reulator on the back; very simple, only have a couple small bolts to deal with.

I keep a spare VR on hand just for that purpose.

The ground wire on the alternator case is not easily seen but is easily checked. Put the test light alligator clip on the B+ terminal on the alternator. Then probe the case and if the bulb lights the alternator ground is ok.

Back