• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

164RS project

Sorry for the long delay, but here's another update.

Apart from resting after the op, there have been distractions - two 240s bought recently! Anyway, onto the 164...

Doors

Work continues. The remaining the chrome trims are fitted
471.jpg

I refurbished the door handles
469.jpg

The top and bottom of the handle surrounds often bend inwards, as seen here, but this can be carefully straightened using a vice and blocks of wood
473.jpg

470.jpg

476.jpg

Fitted window scrapers. These are made from later type 240 interior scrapers
507.jpg

508.jpg

509.jpg

Screen

Also, I am part way through fitting the windscreen

I bought a '79 245GLE, thinking of a possible restoration, but it proved to be too rusty. However, it had a nearly-new screen which it donated to the 164. It took several hours of careful cutting to break the seal, but I got the screen out unbroken.

467.jpg

Then another few hours to clean off the old bonded joint
DSC_0287.jpg

Finally ready for installation
DSC_0288.jpg

The tinted sunstrip matches the 164 paint colour very well!
DSC_0289.jpg

Carbond on the screen lip to ensure adhesion over a good surface area
DSC_0291.jpg

Fitting, using various spacers to position the glass as the carbond sets. This was a hateful, messy and stressful job. Many thanks to Steve who helped a lot and kept me calm!
DSC_0292.jpg

Part way through fitting the stainless steel trim. This is difficult because it doesn't fit the screen aperture well, and I am bonding it in place having deleted the original Volvo rust-causing metal clips
506.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers

John

That is also the reason I will persist with the stainless trim on my 164....although I will be running a post '91 type on the 242GT which already has blacked out trims.

Great work man!

I've missed out on a lot of work done, but after quit a lot catching up, i must say: awesome. Really. Every mod seems to be spot on. I know, there's some 200's you're taking care of, but please, don't forget about the 164.

Looks very neat.
You've taken a LOT of time to get the screen out of the donor and into the 164 - are windscreens very expensive over there?

Here, we wouldnt have bothered. a brand new screen is around $130 - $160 including fitting into a 240.

With my last one, they even did a new windscreen rubber and the whole lot was $160.

That aside, it looks to be coming along well.

Looks very neat.
You've taken a LOT of time to get the screen out of the donor and into the 164 - are windscreens very expensive over there?

Here, we wouldnt have bothered. a brand new screen is around $130 - $160 including fitting into a 240.

With my last one, they even did a new windscreen rubber and the whole lot was $160.

That aside, it looks to be coming along well.

Windscreens are normally insurance jobs over here, so we're pretty much only big chains (O'Briens/NRMA type) rather than the small indies that there are in Aus. (ie big chain = $400, little indie $160 for our Mazda van)

I reckon if you got change out of $500 you would be doing well here for a 100/200 windscreen.

Back